Old 23 June 2007, 10:29   #1

Town: mallorca
Boat name: -
Make: -
Length: 8m +
Engine: -
1999 cobra 8.5

hi all,

i am considering buying my first rib and currently looking at a picton cobra 8.5 from 1999. at has an inboard mercruiser engine with 300 hp on a bravo one drive. if i buy it, it will be transported down to the med and i intend to use it mainly for cruising and waterskiing/wakeboarding.

i am going to check the boat out on monday, and wanted to ask the experts and/or current cobra owners on the forum weather this is a good choice, what to look out for in a boat this age when i check it out, and how much trouble a boat of this age can cause (breakdowns, etc...).

The boat has had two owners and most likely pretty heavy use - the engine doesn't have a hour meter! Although from the pictures i have seen it looks like it is in perfect condition and has been well maintained. I really want a boat that will not give me a lot of trouble and will just work when i turn the ignition... This cobra is attractive due to its price, and it looks like the perfect boat for the med with its large sunbathing areas.

Any input, thoughts, and buying advice much appreciated.

many thanks,
ferdi
Old 23 June 2007, 11:09   #2

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 70
MMSI: 235057234
Picton cobra are very well made boats with a nice sea going hull, i had a ride in a 7.5 nautique and was very impressed with the handling i.e nice comfortable dry ride, good handling on turns and very stable. If i was to pick a rib with a family layout in mind it would probably be a picton cobra, more info here.http://www.pictonboats.com/
Old 23 June 2007, 11:31   #3
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
As above but they tend to have a shallow vee hull, therefore a wet and bumpy ride when it gets abit rough and due to the rear bench seat a severe lack of drainage if you stuff it. Well put together boats though and it depends what you want to do with it.
Old 23 June 2007, 12:01   #4

I disagree with the comment on a shallow vee, picton cobra boats have a genuine deep vee, i compared the hull on a 6.5 to my osprey and the picton was just as deep, and no way are they a bumpy ride, actually i found the ride on the picton a softer ride than a most other deep vee ribs.
Old 23 June 2007, 12:12   #5
ADS

Town: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims Osprey View Post
I disagree with the comment on a shallow vee, picton cobra boats have a genuine deep vee, i compared the hull on a 6.5 to my osprey and the picton was just as deep, and no way are they a bumpy ride, actually i found the ride on the picton a softer ride than a most other deep vee ribs.
Maybe the Cobra dive boats perhaps, but the Nautique range has a shallow to medium vee hull. Just do a search on here for Cobra.
Im not basing my comments on stuff read on here, I have a good few hours logged helming a 7.5m Cobra Nautique c/w 225hp Honda and my above comments are my overall impression.
Old 23 June 2007, 12:28   #6

Town: Colchester
Boat name: JRib
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HPDI YAM
MMSI: sometime soon
Do You Know Where The Boat I Based.
Have You Got Any Pics

Ribboi
Old 23 June 2007, 12:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS View Post
Maybe the Cobra dive boats perhaps, but the Nautique range has a shallow to medium vee hull. Just do a search on here for Cobra.
Im not basing my comments on stuff read on here, I have a good few hours logged helming a 7.5m Cobra Nautique c/w 225hp Honda and my above comments are my overall impression.
Uuuum?, we must be talking about two different boats here because the one i have helmed a number of times has a whacking deep vee which can in no way be described as shallow or medium, and is more than capable of holding its own in the rough. The hull does progress shallower towards the stern but that is the case on many hull designs.
Old 25 June 2007, 15:45   #8

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
We had a 7.5 with a 225 Yamaha F/Stroke for 2 years, I have Mentioned many times on here, very flat hard wet ride
not well made poor drainage, we had to take it back 3 times as the hull started to blister plus lots of other things if you want a full run down on our problems PM me.
Sorry to be negative but i am giving my comments as a ex owner
Old 25 June 2007, 17:24   #9

Town: solent
Make: morbass
Engine: 55hp mariner
look here

www.ribsforsale.com i think thats right
Old 25 June 2007, 20:30   #10

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
I agree with Alex on the drainage front; I cleaned one recently and the water does take its time to drain out.
Old 25 June 2007, 20:58   #11

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I have seen and been out in a few cobras. They are great boats for the money - also hold their value very well. I agree they can have bit of a hard ride in bad conditions but then again so do plenty of other boats.

I think they make a great family boat for nice days out - they will cope with the odd rough trip but then again how many people will take their family out in really rough seas?
Old 28 June 2007, 21:44   #12

Town: mallorca
Boat name: -
Make: -
Engine: -
thank you all for your comments - really appreciate it. seems that cobras are good boats provided that the sea conditions dont get to ugly, which frankly they rarely do in the part of the world i am from, so seems like a good buy, except perhaps for the age... anyone with any experince with mercruiser inboards out there? especially those that are about 8 years old? this one in the cobra i am looking at has just had its gimbal bearing replaced and will have new injectors very soon - will it cause a lot of trouble? (there is no hour meter on it, so no indication of how much it has been used....)
also, how well do cobras do on the tubes - will they require replacement any time soon?
i am just trying to figure out worst case (cost) scenarios for when i buy this puppy...
thanks again for your help!
Old 28 June 2007, 22:41   #13

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Cobras usually have Henshaws tubes - considered to be some of the best in the business - along with Tilley and Avon of course!!!

So much depends on condition and the way the boat has been looked after. It is quite possible to have a 10yr old boat like new and a 2yr old in a hell of a state.
Old 29 June 2007, 11:34   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Cobras usually have Henshaws tubes - considered to be some of the best in the business - along with Tilley and Avon of course!!!

So much depends on condition and the way the boat has been looked after. It is quite possible to have a 10yr old boat like new and a 2yr old in a hell of a state.
Agreed, Henshaws are the biz, i like the way they are put together with a single strip long ways as apposed to lots of individual sections and strips running along the tubes, its stronger with a single strip and the seams are less open to wear and tear.
Old 29 June 2007, 11:53   #15

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims Osprey View Post
Agreed, Henshaws are the biz, i like the way they are put together with a single strip long ways as apposed to lots of individual sections and strips running along the tubes, its stronger with a single strip and the seams are less open to wear and tear.
I'm sure that Henshaws do sectional tubes as well as J tubes. Got henshaw J tubes on mine though and they're good.
Old 29 June 2007, 12:13   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyP View Post
I'm sure that Henshaws do sectional tubes as well as J tubes. Got henshaw J tubes on mine though and they're good.
Yes i'm sure they do but all the ones that i have seen are j tubes, didn't know they were called that by the way