Old 08 January 2016, 22:05   #1

Length: 5m +
18' aluminum hull RIB?

I'm looking for an ~ 18' aluminum hull RIB. I need something lightweight, fairly seaworthy, and with an aluminum hull to beach ~ 10 times a day with a crew of 2-3. Does anyone make something like this?

Thanks much!
Old 08 January 2016, 22:31   #2

Length: 3m +
Don't know if Highfield have made it to the states. In Europe Honda + Highfield have a partnership.

Although beaching any boat 10 times a day is gonna cause wear.

What you beaching on? Sand? Gravel? Rock? Same beaches? No option for a pontoon?
Old 09 January 2016, 00:00   #3

We will be using the boats to access islands to collect various samples along the coast in the arctic. Most of the beaches are sand/gravel.
Old 09 January 2016, 00:40   #4

OK so the MO sounds logical - can't have a pontoon installed on every beach in advance!

Why a RIB would be my next question. I'm particularly thinking why INFLATABLE rather than a Rigid Bouyant Boat instead - so a polyethylene version of a RIB for instance. IMHO thats more durable than a powder coated aluminium hull will be...
Old 09 January 2016, 07:45   #5

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Sounds more like a job description for an assault boat - something on the lines of a Rigid Raider.
Old 09 January 2016, 09:47   #6

Thanks much for the ideas! I certainly love the concept of the RBB, but I've only seen larger versions. Does anyone know of any manufactures that make 16-18' models?
Old 09 January 2016, 13:05   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by aha121 View Post
Thanks much for the ideas! I certainly love the concept of the RBB, but I've only seen larger versions. Does anyone know of any manufactures that make 16-18' models?
Poly's your man

Sécu 18 / FY 5.40 | Fun-Yak
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 January 2016, 19:03   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Did someone mention my name?

That's a bit bigger than mine and I've never seen one that size in person. Probably not as big a v hull as many ribs that size so if likely to be used in seriously challenging conditions I'd want to get a sea trial somewhere first.

The smaller poly boats compare well with small ribs and sibs. The concept should adapt well to bigger stuff, and there are certainly some used by fish farms around Scotland.

For what was described I'd also consider pioner multi - its mini landing craft style bow could be particularly nice for getting on and off beaches without getting in the cold Arctic water! That will definitely suffer from slamming in big waves though.
Old 11 January 2016, 15:57   #9

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
I'm looking for an ~ 18' aluminum hull RIB. I need something lightweight, fairly seaworthy, and with an aluminum hull to beach ~ 10 times a day with a crew of 2-3. Does anyone make something like this?

Thanks much!
Polaris Inflatables (I've got one), A few others (would have to search to find who's still in business. SAFE Boat does as well, I believe.

Be aware that most aluminum RIB's in the US and Canada are built to spec (and priced to match.)

Where exactly are you going to be? Work, I assume? Might need to research USCG requirements for commercial boats (something I know very little about.)

jky
Old 11 January 2016, 17:15   #10

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:

Thanks much!
i dont know if any one makes boats made of HDPE over the pond but i have a company local to me called searoverboats uk fish farms use them a lot bullet proof.

cheers
Old 11 January 2016, 17:58   #11
RIBnet admin team

Ah, I hadn't realised you were in the USA (the App doesn't make location obvious - although I should have spotted your "misspelling" of Aluminium ). Last time I checked nobody stateside was really doing rotomolded HDPE powerboats. Not sure why... Their are UK, French, Scandinavian, Philippine, and New Zealand offerings on the market - but importation costs probably rule them out?
Old 11 January 2016, 20:16   #12

Oh and it looks like Zodiac now have an aluminium range:

Sea Rib® Aluminium
Old 11 January 2016, 23:20   #13

Town: Kerry
Boat name: Independence
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF10
http://www.triumphboats.com

I think they are US based, I remember a video they had on YouTube where they tow one of their boats at speed behind a pickup truck without a trailer... 😳

Mobile
Old 14 January 2016, 16:52   #14

Town: WARSAW
Boat name: T1
Make: HIGHFIELD OM540DL
Engine: EVINRUDE 115 HO
MMSI: 261026640
Why not pionerboat Pioner boats -Pioner 17 Flexi

Even this one looks funny:

Did you check highfieldboats in US ?
I have one but only one season so can not give you a hint about long term behavior/problems.

I did also avoid to park it on sand or pebbles. Even in advert. they mentioned - that it is not a problem. This is my first boat and I use it only 1-2 months per year so take care about it as a source of fun for whole family and long awaiting vacation.

If boats made from poliuretan are sand and pebbles proof maybe you can look at pioner boats. There are Norwegian boats and currency rate between USD or EUR and NOK is very good now. Not sure if you can buy one in US
Old 16 January 2016, 21:28   #15

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Noco View Post
Strongest Inshore Fishing Boats | Triumph Boats

I think they are US based, I remember a video they had on YouTube where they tow one of their boats at speed behind a pickup truck without a trailer... 😳
A friend had an early Triumph PE boat. Had lost of problems with screws backing out. I'd assume they got a handle on this, if they're still selling them (don't know if they are or not.)

jky
Old 17 January 2016, 08:34   #16

Screwing PE remains a challenge. As does glueing.

Embedded fixing points or backing material that can be screwed or bolting is the way to go unless it can be welded..
Old 17 January 2016, 10:19   #17
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
A friend had an early Triumph PE boat. Had lost of problems with screws backing out. I'd assume they got a handle on this, if they're still selling them (don't know if they are or not.)

jky
Plenty of expertise from the kayak world in attaching things to HDPE. Welding, inserts, backing plates, rivets, well nuts, etc all widely used. Self tappers can be problematic but Ive got a couple where I removed them and added a little sika to the hole before refitting and they've not budged for 7 yrs.

Tags
rib