Old 21 November 2009, 21:13   #1

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
100mph+

Just had a really scary moment.

Went down to check on the RIB - another bow eye gone - lasted 10 days this time. Damage as well - all the reinforcing patches under the bow scuffed, worn and peeling away - harbourmaster had tied it back up for me but ropes needed extra work.

Mate and I were down there at 8pm - been ill in bed last few days with really bad flu - raging fever - really didn't want to go down there - very nasty swell in the harbour again which makes things 10x harder.

As we were rigging up extra ropes all hell broke loose. Never in all my life have I seen anything like it. There was a bright flash out at sea - then a few seconds later the wind came from nowhere - my mate was on the boat and I was on the pontoon.

Almost took me off my feet and I am not exactly small. All the water seemed to be rising up out of the harbour at us - drenched completely in 2 seconds. Even my hiking boots full of water. I had to dive for a piling to hang on. The force on the pontoons was incredible. There is a Fairline 30 next to my boat and it was almost ripping the main cleats out of the pontoons. They will all need checking.

I honestly thought all the pontoons were going to be ripped away. The noise was incredible - worse than any film I have ever seen. All we could do was hang on for grim death. When it died down slightly we made a run for the shore.

Within 20 mins there was no rain and no wind. I don't know if it was a tornado or just a very very heavy squall but I never want to experience that again. Doesn't help when you aren't well either.

The sooner I get my boat out of that bloody harbour the better - it's never going back there!!!
Old 21 November 2009, 21:30   #2

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Glad you are ok codders.

Just shows what could happen if you are caught out at sea!

Hope the boat is ok too...get it out and safe!!
Old 21 November 2009, 21:32   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Glad you're not hooked under a pontoon lad!

Word has it this will be a night to remember. I had a whiteout squall come through my locality today, I couldn't see the next field - sheets of water and the wildest of contrary winds. My vehicles are parked away from trees tonight. Fingers crossed. 950mB predicted.
Old 21 November 2009, 21:43   #4

I am still pretty shaken up about it - been on top of mountains in blizzards and worse but nothing like that.

Going back down to check again now I have dry clothes on - it wasn't rain the water is salt!!!

Should be ok now - once the tide is out the wind can do what it likes down there.

How the water was pulled up out of the harbour is a mystery - it is in the lee of the harbour wall and it rose vertically. My brother was at home in Swansea and there was nothing other than usual wind and rain.
Old 21 November 2009, 21:52   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Hopefully you guys haven't lost a Boomer in St. Georges Channel....
Old 21 November 2009, 22:50   #6

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Can't you get the boat out of the water and tucked away somewhere safe codders? I'd not sleep if mine were in the water all winter.
Old 21 November 2009, 23:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Can't you get the boat out of the water and tucked away somewhere safe codders? I'd not sleep if mine were in the water all winter.
I have been trying to for the last 3 weeks - constant gales and no sign of it getting any better.

Just got back from the harbour again - must be blowing 60mph but with the tide out it can do what it likes - 6am time to worry again.
Old 21 November 2009, 23:42   #8

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
What have ye done to upset the big man upstairs ? mon now, get a grip .. the sea is a frightener at its worst for sure .. but it is calm too.. so read the wind & tide and pick your moment to get the job done ..
Old 22 November 2009, 00:55   #9

I wonder that myself!!!
Old 22 November 2009, 01:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
What have ye done to upset the big man upstairs ? mon now, get a grip .. the sea is a frightener at its worst for sure .. but it is calm too.. so read the wind & tide and pick your moment to get the job done ..
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/...t_weather.html

Here is the 5 day forecast - not much chance of things calming down - over 50mph every day and 25' waves coming in off the Atlantic............
Old 22 November 2009, 07:20   #11

Town: Horsham
Boat name: Knot a RIB
Make: Avon Typhoon
Engine: Yamaha 25hp
Sounds horrendous - glad you are okay Codders

J

Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Knot Yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2009, 12:49   #12

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Just had a really scary moment.

Went down to check on the RIB - another bow eye gone - lasted 10 days this time. Damage as well - all the reinforcing patches under the bow scuffed, worn and peeling away - harbourmaster had tied it back up for me but ropes needed extra work.

Mate and I were down there at 8pm - been ill in bed last few days with really bad flu - raging fever - really didn't want to go down there - very nasty swell in the harbour again which makes things 10x harder.

As we were rigging up extra ropes all hell broke loose. Never in all my life have I seen anything like it. There was a bright flash out at sea - then a few seconds later the wind came from nowhere - my mate was on the boat and I was on the pontoon.

Almost took me off my feet and I am not exactly small. All the water seemed to be rising up out of the harbour at us - drenched completely in 2 seconds. Even my hiking boots full of water. I had to dive for a piling to hang on. The force on the pontoons was incredible. There is a Fairline 30 next to my boat and it was almost ripping the main cleats out of the pontoons. They will all need checking.

I honestly thought all the pontoons were going to be ripped away. The noise was incredible - worse than any film I have ever seen. All we could do was hang on for grim death. When it died down slightly we made a run for the shore.

Within 20 mins there was no rain and no wind. I don't know if it was a tornado or just a very very heavy squall but I never want to experience that again. Doesn't help when you aren't well either.

The sooner I get my boat out of that bloody harbour the better - it's never going back there!!!
Old 22 November 2009, 17:55   #13

Yes very funny - ok here you are then!!!

Went down again today to put some layflat hose thorugh the ropes to stop them chaffing the tubes.

Bilges 1/3 full of water - new battery has lasted 2 weeks. Took my Clarke Hippo pump with me - power off as well now!!!

Spoke to the harbour master - really nice bloke from Guernsey - said he had never seen weather like it or such a bad place.

Apparently we were observed last night - nice to know someone was watching out for us. Apparently the water in the harbour rose by about 6' in a second but I didn't even see that. It was described as some sort of cyclone or tornado.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1970.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	47682