Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 05 July 2007, 19:46   #1

Town: Dublin
Length: 6m +
100 children rescued in Dublin Bay

Hi all,
100 children had to be rescued from Dún Laoghaire harbour while taking part in a regatta today all acounted for and safe and sound,came in as 110 children in water major incident plan was put in place.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/bre...breaking54.htm

Ecovoyager
Old 05 July 2007, 19:53   #2

Town: Yarmouth, IoW
Boat name: 7up
Make: Ribeye Sport
Engine: Merc 150 Opti
MMSI: 235057812
And I thought I was unlucky having to pull just 1 10year old out!!
well done rescue teams ....
Old 05 July 2007, 22:16   #3

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Glad all are well. From what I've read on a sailing forum from folks who were there, the regatta organizers had it all well in hand, and the "rescue officials" may have overreacted and done as much harm as good...
http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums...howtopic=56849

As always, 3 sides to every story... The organizers, the rescue services, and the truth! Four sides actually, once you throw the media in there!

Strikes me as a huge media overreaction as well. Certainly intimidating to have all boats over, but most would likely self-rescue after the squall. Could have been worse if it were a long duration event, so getting outside rescue there was the right call, but what comes up so quickly usually dissipates just as quickly.

Also sounds like a bunch of yahoo RIBbers did quite a bit of damage...
Old 06 July 2007, 06:52   #4

Town: Uphall
Boat name: Iona
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Optimax 115
MMSI: 235053483
Quote:
spoke to one of the neighbouring club Sailing Managers who was livid with the rescue services, who kept the kids sitting on a double decker bus, shivering in their wetsuits. "All of my kids were accounted for, but they wouldn't let me bring them to showers to change into their street gear. They said their parents had to come. Before parents could arrive, three kids were taken to hospital with hyperthermia, not from bing in the water, but from sitting cold in the bus."
doesn't sound like it was handled brilliantly!
Old 06 July 2007, 14:37   #5

Town: Cork
Boat name: Cúr na dDonnta
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
This looked like an example of a slow news day - and that was my 12 year old daughter's comment. I think it was really unfair the amount of un-named people who criticised the club and the way the media hyped it up. They initially reported in a way that suggested the 120 odd kids participating in the regatta had all been knocked over and they didn't mention that the club had about 20 RIbs out.

We seem to be getting to the point with emergency services here where we can no longer laugh at the U.S. approach where everything with a flashing light within a 30 mile radius 'responds'!

I enjoyed one radio interview where a 13 year old said he'd been caught up in it but it was nothing unusual to go sailing with the weather forecast as given or in rough conditions. What was unusual was how fast it kicked up. He basically shrugged it off as experience which was not what the media wanted to hear.

I'd bet that if the club hadn't been swamped with emergency services many of the boats would have recovered unaided and the club would have comfortably coped with the remainder. It was nauseating to hear people talking of a disaster averted and lucky escapes when a few dinghies going over is part and parcel of both any lively race and indeed the fun.

It begs the question, how often do people hesitate before calling in a PAN PAN for fear of this sort of OTT response and there's no question it was OTT?
Old 06 July 2007, 14:50   #6

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Glad everyone is safe. Particularly as there were children involved.

Kathleen & Paul
Old 06 July 2007, 14:56   #7

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Club News
STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF RSGYC
STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF RSGYC
Issued by Patrick Blaney, Vice Commoodore

I am Principal Race Officer in charge of the Royal St George Junior International Class Regatta which is held annually.

During the second race a sudden squall from the south hit the fleet causing multiple capsizes (boats turning over).

I made the decision to abandon the race and initiate our rescue plan.

In the light of expected worsening conditions I decided to declare an emergency.

The Club contacted the emergency services including the Dun Laoghaire Lifeboat who came immediately to our assistance. The Coast Guard, the Air Sea Rescue, the Gardai, the ambulance services, the fire brigade and the Dun Laoghaire Harbour Authority were also called.
The Major Emergency Plan was immediately activated with a command centre established at the Royal St George Yacht Club.

All competitors, rescue and support personnel were immediately brought ashore.

There were 115 boats racing with 141 competitors aboard and there were 22 rescue boats and 3 support yachts.

We received first class support from all the agencies.

Most of the competing sailors came ashore unassisted and they were supervised by the rescue fleet. The others were taken into rescue boats and ferried ashore.

All of the sailors have, for several years, participated in Club training courses which are approved by the Irish Sailing Association and they have been trained to cope with these conditions.

I would like to thank all the emergency services for their considerable support today. The Major Emergency Plan was implemented quickly, efficiently and thoroughly showing the high levels of expertise and capability of the various agencies.

And I would like to thank our own rescue personnel who are mainly Irish Sailing Association Sailing Instructors; they did a superb job looking after all of the competitors.

Thank you
------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yes, sounds like a major media and rescue service over-reaction. I think he made the right call though, I can't imagine having to face parents and tell them the unimaginable... Never mind having to face the inquiry/lawsuits if there were a fatality and you hadn't pulled the trigger on the Major Emergency Plan.

Not surprisingly, most did self-rescue, and it sounds like the organizers were properly prepared, their own rescue staff took care of those who couldn't. The "professionals" not allowing the kids off the bus though... mind bogglingly stupid!
Old 06 July 2007, 15:55   #8

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Yamaha 70
MMSI: 235057234
Uuum, sounds like a case of media hype to me, from most of the later reports after everybody had calmed down most of the kids pretty much had it under control. It was only a handful that needed rescuing in the end and most of the ones taken to hospital were suffering from mild hypothermias because of not being allowed to take there wet suits off on the bus, what a complete joke.
Old 06 July 2007, 21:10   #9

Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
Some more facts

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/fro...410373300.html

Inquiry launched as junior regatta ends with rescue

John Downes, Kitty Holland & Lorna Siggins

The Marine Casualty Investigation Board (MCIB) is to conduct an inquiry after a full-scale emergency plan was launched in Dún Laoghaire, Co Dublin yesterday when more than 100 participants in a junior regatta got into difficulty during a race.

The independent statutory body normally only investigates if there has been a fatality, serious injury or pollution.

The MCIB had earlier said it would not be initiating an inquiry. However, a spokeswoman confirmed last night that it would be investigating all aspects of the incident.

Separately, it also emerged last night that the Irish Coast Guard has contacted the Irish Sailing Association to express its concern about the decision to proceed with the event despite forecasts of unfavourable weather.

A spokesman for the Coast Guard confirmed that it had done so following a similar incident which occurred at Greystones sailing club on Wednesday, and again following yesterday's incident.

The incident, which saw a total of 16 people, including one adult, brought to hospitals across the city, happened at approximately 2pm during the second race of the day.

None of the injuries were life-threatening and most of those brought to hospital were expected to be discharged last night.

In a statement, the organisers of the Royal St George Yacht Club junior regatta said a "sudden squall from the south" hit the fleet, causing many boats to capsize.

Race organiser Patrick Blaney said most of the competing sailors came ashore unassisted and were supervised by the rescue fleet. The others were taken into rescue boats and ferried ashore, he said.

"There were 115 boats racing with 141 competitors aboard and there were 22 rescue boats and three support yachts," he said.

"All of the sailors have, for several years, participated in club training courses which are approved by the Irish Sailing Association and they have been trained to cope with these conditions."

It emerged yesterday that Met Éireann first issued a small craft warning at 4am, which was reissued at noon.

President McAleese yesterday led the tributes to the response of the emergency services and all those involved, who she said had averted a "potential major tragedy".
© 2007 The Irish Times

Note the Irish National Sailing School, also situated in Dun Laoghaire, ca;;ed all their boats in from the water @ 11.30am.
Old 07 July 2007, 12:32   #10

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
What an over- reaction ! Sounds like the guy in charge mad a judgement call ( the correct one ! ) everyone got home OK (if cold coz they were scared kids would be stolen off the bus- more OTT reaction) - why need an investigation ? Surely the emergency plan worked fine & thats the point of having them ?

Media just dont understand these things - there was a similar thing last year in Christchurch harbour - lots of dinghys over , OTT media coverage when most of the crews could stand in the water and pretty much walk to the beach if they wanted.

The investigation will try & blame someone for somethiing ( cost a fortune that could be givento the resue services ) find someone to blame rather then admit the fact you cant control the weather - it was all in hand & everyone did thier jobs / sorted themselves out & went home !

This stuff drives me nuts !