Old 06 July 2015, 19:32   #1

Town: Chichester
Make: Mako
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Water inside the hull

Hello I've just joined the forum and am in Chichester - I've recently bought my first Rib, a 2003 5.1 Metre Mako with a 90Hp Evinrude outboard. After my first outing on Saturday of around 4 hours both at speed and in the harbour @ 8 knots I was quite surprised to find quite a lot of water in the hull void when I pulled the drain plug out of the transom. On Sunday I went over the hull checking very carefully for any damage but couldn't find anything except a very small chip in the gelcoat about 4mm x 2mm where I could see the cloth of the laminate. This was on the sharp edge of one of the lines in the hull about 3 feet back from the bow. The Rib appears to have been well looked after and there aren't even any signs of gelcoat crazing, the tubes are totally bonded to the hull and there is no obvious way for the water to be getting in. I've removed the hull D ring at the bow and reseated it onto new sealer but would welcome any ideas please.

Thank you
Old 06 July 2015, 19:51   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
It's more likely to be finding it's way in from the deck than the outside of the hull. Anything that is screwed through the hull, cable ducts etc. Anchor lockers are a common cause with some actually designed to drain the bilge.

If it's still not obvious, dinghy sailors attach a pump (like you use for the tubes) to the drain bung and pump in air whilst covering everything with soapy water.
Old 06 July 2015, 20:31   #3

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
to the drain bung and pump in air whilst covering everything with soapy water.
Then you'll need a bevy of bikini clad beauties to push all of that soapy water into the nooks and crannies.

Also check bow eye bolts if bolted through to void or transducer mount if fitted. Anywhere where there's been a hole drilled into the floor void.

Console or seat bases maybe be screwed down.
Old 07 July 2015, 22:04   #4

Water inside the hull

Thank you for that, my only comment is that I wasn't aware of a lot of water landing on the deck in the time we were on the water and the ropes in the anchor locker were all dry when we finished.
Old 08 July 2015, 07:09   #5

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMako View Post
Thank you for that, my only comment is that I wasn't aware of a lot of water landing on the deck in the time we were on the water and the ropes in the anchor locker were all dry when we finished.
Did you check to see if it had water in before you went out?,

also when you checked after you went out were you on the level or a slope?

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 July 2015, 07:45   #6

Length: 7m +
If its any help my rib always seems to have water in the hull, however most of it is due to rain. Boat covers arn't brilliant and rain water always finds its way in, plus sea water due to wave spray and of course fresh water due to me washing boat down with a hose pipe after use and then it goes into dry stack.

I don't tend to worry about it too much, it always looks worse than perhaps it is. In winter when it tends to rain more if Ive left in on dry stack for a week and then I take the drain plug out before it goes into water on the fork lift it can be running out for a few minutes but you can tell its mostly rain water.

When we had a large storm with downpours recently and I switched on the auto bilge pump it activated which meant there must have been a lot of rain water that got it.

So I guess it all depends, if you cant see any holes then check what the water is and the amount its probably not a big issue. Water will always get in to some extent.
Old 08 July 2015, 07:48   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
If its any help my rib always seems to have water in the hull, however most of it is due to rain. Boat covers arn't brilliant and rain water always finds its way in, plus sea water due to wave spray and of course fresh water due to me washing boat down with a hose pipe after use and then it goes into dry stack.

I don't tend to worry about it too much, it always looks worse than perhaps it is. In winter when it tends to rain more if Ive left in on dry stack for a week and then I take the drain plug out before it goes into water on the fork lift it can be running out for a few minutes but you can tell its mostly rain water.

When we had a large storm with downpours recently and I switched on the auto bilge pump it activated which meant there must have been a lot of rain water that got it.

So I guess it all depends, if you cant see any holes then check what the water is and the amount its probably not a big issue. Water will always get in to some extent.
Odd, in 9 years not a single drop has found its way into my hull. It would concern me if there was so much that it took minutes to drain away.
Old 08 July 2015, 09:42   #8

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Odd, in 9 years not a single drop has found its way into my hull. It would concern me if there was so much that it took minutes to drain away.
My 6.5 was prone to a drop and I never could track down from where. Just dust in the 7m.
Old 08 July 2015, 13:25   #9

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Check the seal/o ring/ gasket on the drain bung

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 July 2015, 21:16   #10

Thank you all for the advice I'll just have to keep an eye on it - my main concern is the effect of that weight of water, at around 1Kg per litre, on the stability as it sloshes around - maybe I'll try to measure how much comes out next time but it look like a lot