Old 07 July 2020, 17:38   #1

Length: 5m +
Tube valves

Hi all, just joined as a new member and wonder if someone can help or advise. My new rib has release valves on each of the chambers and yesterday I inflated them all to a reasonable level where they were firm but not hard. The sun was shining so they did get more solid as the temperature got warmer. However when the sun went down so did my tubes, is this supposed to happen. I’d hate to be out on the water in the evening if that’s going to happen but surely they should retain the inflation unless the release valves have let out too much. Never had release valves before can anyone advise please?
Old 07 July 2020, 17:53   #2

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
Hi Reef rib,

When you say inflated to a reasonable level do you know what the psi was? If it was hot during the day and then cooled down then its normal to lose a bit of pressure but it depends on your starting pressure, how hot it was during the day and by how much it cooled. etc..

Your prv's will have a coloured dot in the middle which will determine their release pressure. This 'should' give you a rough idea of the recommended pressure. What rib is it?
Old 07 July 2020, 19:06   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
When you pumped up the ambient air will heat up during pumping then the sun will increase volume soon as the sun went down you will loose all that warm air volume so that could be very significant. Blow up to pressure in the evening monitor as it gets warm the next day you should hear the PRVS blow off
Old 07 July 2020, 20:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevem View Post
Hi Reef rib,

When you say inflated to a reasonable level do you know what the psi was? If it was hot during the day and then cooled down then its normal to lose a bit of pressure but it depends on your starting pressure, how hot it was during the day and by how much it cooled. etc..

Your prv's will have a coloured dot in the middle which will determine their release pressure. This 'should' give you a rough idea of the recommended pressure. What rib is it?
Hi thanks for your reply, it’s a reef rib imported from Corfu I believe, I purchased it recently through a broker local to me. Great looking rib and has all the layout I wanted. I’ll check the prvs tomorrow to see what colour. Are there different colours that mean different pressures?
Old 07 July 2020, 20:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
When you pumped up the ambient air will heat up during pumping then the sun will increase volume soon as the sun went down you will loose all that warm air volume so that could be very significant. Blow up to pressure in the evening monitor as it gets warm the next day you should hear the PRVS blow off
Okay thank you, so pump up cold is best then and not when the sun beating down?
Old 07 July 2020, 21:19   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef rib View Post
Okay thank you, so pump up cold is best then and not when the sun beating down?
Yes then the PRVS will only blow when it exceeds thier pressure keeping working pressure of course if you get silly temp changes top up will be needed to be honest I just top up before I go away and let the PRVS do the rest
Old 07 July 2020, 21:41   #7

Okay thank you