Old 21 September 2021, 20:41   #1

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne
Boat name: Not named yet
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard Mariner 125
Total Newbie: Osprey Eagle 6m

Good evening fellow members.

I am on the verge of buying my very first RIB - a 1997 Osprey Eagle. She is 5m in length with a 125 hp Mariner engine.

I say on the verge because I have seen her, taken her out on the water and instructed a boat surveyor to undertake a pre-purchase survey before I part with my money and bring her home.

She's not new or young - but she's my first boat and I will take great care of her.

I have purchased a RIB to get some hours on the water and consolidate the training I have been undertaken this year - RYA powerboat L2, Intermediate Powerboat, Navigation & Seamanship, VHF Marine Radio and shore-based Day Skipper. Aiming to complete the RYA Advanced Powerboat course in October.

I am already counting my chickens - sorry I mean planning some upgrades to her. Going to start by upgrading the steering to hydraulic (currently like steering a car without power-assisted steering). Welcome fellow members views on upgrades worth considering to improve her and help retain a reasonable residual value.

Many thanks

Regards,

David Clayton
Old 22 September 2021, 07:29   #2

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Hi David and welcome to the club. Without some pics of the boat it is difficult to suggest any upgrades. However, assuming you are going to physically see the boat and will get a good sea-trial, I don't think I would waste my money on a full survey. The boat is 24 years old, so likely a surveyor will find lots of things to worry you, most of which will have no real effect on your use or enjoyment of the boat. Your big concerns should be Is the hull sound/watertight? Do the tubes hold pressure ovetr time? Is the engine functioning properly?

Most of those things you can check and observe yourself. However, it would be useful to get an engineers report on the engine (compression test, etc) that should cost you about £50.

Anyway, good luck with the purchase and I look forward to seeing some pics.
Old 22 September 2021, 10:26   #3

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-TEC 150
Hi David and welcome to Ribnet.
Firstly can I commend you for doing so much training ahead of getting your first boat - you've made a really good start.
I'm kinda with Dryrun here on the full survey although a 125 on a 5m boat is quite a big motor so the transom area would be worth giving some very careful attention to. If you opt not to get a survey done, have a very close look for any cracking or water ingress that might indicate a rotten core or other structural issue. Also worth checking that the engine isn't outside Osprey's recommended HP range or you may have a problem with insurance.
Getting the engine professionally checked over will definitely be money well spent.
As regards upgrades, tempting though it is to get in some early retail therapy I would advise using the boat for a while and seeing what works / what doesn't, what you like / what you don't and building your shopping list from there.
Happy boating!
Old 22 September 2021, 17:19   #4

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne
Boat name: Not named yet
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard Mariner 125
Sound Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
Hi David and welcome to the club. Without some pics of the boat it is difficult to suggest any upgrades. However, assuming you are going to physically see the boat and will get a good sea-trial, I don't think I would waste my money on a full survey. The boat is 24 years old, so likely a surveyor will find lots of things to worry you, most of which will have no real effect on your use or enjoyment of the boat. Your big concerns should be Is the hull sound/watertight? Do the tubes hold pressure ovetr time? Is the engine functioning properly?

Most of those things you can check and observe yourself. However, it would be useful to get an engineers report on the engine (compression test, etc) that should cost you about £50.

Anyway, good luck with the purchase and I look forward to seeing some pics.
Thanks Dryrun - sound advice. I have decided to go for a full survey for peace of mind around my investment - but will take into your account that they may find lots of reasons to grumble given the age of the boat. The surveyor has advised that I need a marine engineer to look at the engine - so another worthy investment.

Regards,

Dave
Old 22 September 2021, 17:25   #5

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
my osprey eagle was 5.8 meters and had a 130 Yamaha v4 2 stroke and was quite quick a 125 is certainly within an eagles capability's
Old 24 September 2021, 13:28   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytondj View Post
Thanks Dryrun - sound advice. I have decided to go for a full survey for peace of mind around my investment - but will take into your account that they may find lots of reasons to grumble given the age of the boat. The surveyor has advised that I need a marine engineer to look at the engine - so another worthy investment.

Regards,

Dave
I don't think its a bad idea for a newbie to get a survey. Not that rare for someone to get carried away then appear here having bought some old wreck to discover the deck isn't supposed to be spongy, the transom used to be much taller and had the engine bolts sealed with bathroom sealant, the trailer bearings fail on the way home, etc...