Old 12 May 2013, 09:24   #1

Town: bath
Length: no boat
SIB for husband's 40th

Help needed: My husband has hinted that he would like a SIB for his birthday, we live in Bath, so would like to pootle about on the river a little through the year with the kids but also spend a lot of time in North Devon in the summer. Is there a boat and engine size that anyone can recommend to fit the bill for both? Trying to do my homework and keep it a secret too... proving difficult! I would also want him to do a course to brush up his boating skills - any suggestions? Thank you
Old 12 May 2013, 09:30   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
How many people are likely to be piled into the sib max? :-)
Old 12 May 2013, 09:33   #3

I think we would never really be more than two adults, two kids. Maybe very occasionally 4 adults.
Old 12 May 2013, 10:14   #4

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
I had a Yam 380s which fitted this well, had a 25hp on the back so may be a bit over the top HP wise for your needs but a great size boat.

The Quicksilver boats would be a good range too, again in the 3.8m size - badged up as others too, Mercury for one.

Honwave seem to have a good following but never used one myself.

Engine wise anything between 15-25 hp will be great depending on if you think you may want to progress from a gentile poodle to a good bouncing

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2013, 10:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdijon View Post
I think we would never really be more than two adults, two kids. Maybe very occasionally 4 adults.
Would you be able to trailer it inflated?

I'm trying to get at size here. You could have a tight squeeze for an occasional 4 people, or a reasonable amount of space. Remember, bigger equates to more capable, but adds logistical issues.
Old 12 May 2013, 10:20   #6

RIBase
[QUOTE=Mollers;536629[

I'm trying to get at size here. You could have a tight squeeze for an occasional 4 people, or a reasonable amount of space. Remember, bigger equates to more capable, but adds logistical issues.[/QUOTE]

That's why I like the 3.83 size. Started with mine in the boot, not unknown to have it of the roof rack! ended up on a small bunked trailer but gives you all three options with a good size for most uses.

Old 12 May 2013, 10:46   #7

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Need a bit more information to give you a better answer.

Budget ? New or Used
How will it be transported and stored (Inflated on a trailer or packed in bags)
If no trailer what size car have you got (boot size ?)
How confident are the kids (Would they like to use a ringo etc)

The more info you give, the better the recommendations.
Old 12 May 2013, 11:27   #8

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
My first boat was a 2.6m Quicksilver. Was fine for two and the occasional 4 (bit tight) for pottering around on the river. It had an old 7.5hp Johnson, just about got on the plane with two on board. Was ideal at the time as could be deflated and went in the back of my Fiat Punto (first car!). All purchased for less than £1000 (new boat, used engine). I suspect however you'll want something bigger - at least 3m. Bigger, whilst trickier to set up doesn't necessarily mean a trailer and tow bar. I had until very recently a 4.something Suzimar that we used to transport in the back of the car. You'd need something reasonably large like a decent sized estate or 4x4 to do this with kids and picnic in the back.
Old 12 May 2013, 11:32   #9

Thank you for everyone's responses so far. I really don't want to spend any more than £4-5k all in and I hoped that this might include a trailer as we'd keep it inflated through the summer months. Am open to the idea of both new and used & it would be transported as both. Kids are not confident yet and think we may have to upgrade (boat not kids) as they get bigger.We have an old LR Discovery so boot space good.
Old 12 May 2013, 11:36   #10

Quote:
Thank you for everyone's responses so far. I really don't want to spend any more than £4-5k all in and I hoped that this might include a trailer as we'd keep it inflated through the summer months. Am open to the idea of both new and used & it would be transported as both. Kids are not confident yet and think we may have to upgrade (boat not kids) as they get bigger.We have an old LR Discovery so boot space good.
Now we're getting somewhere.
You're budget is fine, trailering is good.

A Honwave 3.8m with a nice 30hp O/B.
Old 12 May 2013, 12:09   #11

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
I hope he's knows how lucky he is, well done
Old 12 May 2013, 12:32   #12

RIBase
Quote:
With a healthy budget and sensible vehicle the 3.5-4m sib world is there for the taking, however when looking try to remember that a vhf, flares, lifejackets etc will also be needed so don't spend it all on a base craft.

The other thing to consider would be a smallish rib? However I like the idea of learning sea craft in a smallish boat and moving up as the skills progress. Can't beat learning on a small tiller craft for sea handling, trim etc.

An RYA Level 2 would be a good course to do at some point soon as well. There are trade member son here that run them and I'm sure they'll be one not top far from you. If not you can always pop down to Plymouth one weekend and complete it there.

An odd thought for you would be to give the lucky man the course and a voucher for his birthday. Send him on the course where he can learn what does what on a boat and get some time helming one. If you speak to the supplier I'm sure they'll cover both Sib and Rib and then decide what set up you actually want, need, like.

Worst thing would be to buy the sib, go on a course, fall in love with a rib and start all over again..........

I did my course well before owning anything.

Old 12 May 2013, 12:50   #13
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
An odd thought for you would be to give the lucky man the course and a voucher for his birthday. Send him on the course where he can learn what does what on a boat and get some time helming one. If you speak to the supplier I'm sure they'll cover both Sib and Rib and then decide what set up you actually want, need, like.

Worst thing would be to buy the sib, go on a course, fall in love with a rib and start all over again..........

I did my course well before owning anything.
I agree with treerat.

A "refresher course" in the form of a Level Two Powerboat is a really good idea. If conducted on a smallish RIB, it will give him a chance to make the right choice for his needs.
Old 12 May 2013, 14:30   #14

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
The Honda package seems a no brainier to me. Honwaves are incredible value for money.
Old 12 May 2013, 16:54   #15

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Engine: Inboard
HonWave is a great shout, but I would go for the T40 with the aluminium floor rather than the airfloor 3.8 . The Honda packages are great value, go for the maximum power allowed, you wont regret it.
Old 12 May 2013, 16:59   #16

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
Also I seem Honda doing massive discount packages. And a present is always nicer brand new.
Old 12 May 2013, 17:09   #17

Town: Stotfold
Boat name: kimozo 2
Make: Ribtec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 115 efi 4 st
My first boat was a honwave t40 ally floor with a mariner 25 hp on back was a very good package and good fun easily held 4 x adults on tubes and 2x kids sitting at front looking over tubes,used to trailer it , and fitted with launch wheels could be launched almost any where.
Old 12 May 2013, 18:53   #18

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Engine: 250
Honda in Southampton now have a showroom in their car dealership

Or why not go for something secondhand like a ex RNLI Y Class or a Bombard 380

A few sibs in this video....

Old 12 May 2013, 19:50   #19

Town: Lancashire
Boat name: Trigger Happy
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 20hp
MMSI: 235907196
Do you have a sister?
Old 12 May 2013, 20:37   #20

Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Hello,

I have a honwave t40 with a tohatsu 25hp 2 stroke. What I can say is mostly good. It is very stable and feels safe, it has a very good beam, with the aluminium floor you have the opportunity to put in seats and a bow locker. The performance is good, I reach around 24 knots WOT with minimal gear. I successfully knee boarded from it last weekend in the stunning weather.

But, to be honest, with a budget of 4-5k I would not be going for a sib. You mentioned trailering, so why would you go for a sib if you can trailer. Although I love the t40, it is always at the back of my mind that I want a rib. You could get a really nice sea rider 4 meter and a nice modern 2 stroke for that kind of money. It is going to be more seaworthy, safe and comfortable than a sib.

By all means, go for a sib but all i can say is you will regret it and wish you had gone for a rib. I struggle to see the advantages of a sib over a rib when talking over 3.5 meters.

Something like this is well in your budget and you are getting a lot more for your money. As soon as you buy new you lose 20%, then a hell of a lot more once you have used it!

Valiant Rib Boat Vanguard 490 | eBay