Old 18 February 2022, 13:30   #1

Town: Epsom
Length: 7m +
Sib?

Not currently an inflatable owner but getting interested as a way to get on the water. Previously have considered a 6.4MP Rib but living 40 miles inland would have involved time spent towing or storage fees near point of use. In the end couldn’t justify the cost. I like the idea that everything can be transported in a vehicle, inflated quickly and launched from virtually location. Usage would be in estuaries and near coast hopping. Grateful to acquire some good advice from existing users.
Old 18 February 2022, 13:49   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterobloc View Post
Not currently an inflatable owner but getting interested as a way to get on the water. Previously have considered a 6.4MP Rib but living 40 miles inland would have involved time spent towing or storage fees near point of use. In the end couldn’t justify the cost. I like the idea that everything can be transported in a vehicle, inflated quickly and launched from virtually location. Usage would be in estuaries and near coast hopping. Grateful to acquire some good advice from existing users.
40 miles from the sea! I wish I own a trailered RIB & a "Blow & Go" SIB. I'd take the RIB everytime if I was only 40 miles from the sea. I can have the RIB launched/recovered in less than half the time it takes to set up/pack up the SIB.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 14:42   #3

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
40 miles from the sea! I wish I own a trailered RIB & a "Blow & Go" SIB. I'd take the RIB everytime if I was only 40 miles from the sea. I can have the RIB launched/recovered in less than half the time it takes to set up/pack up the SIB.
I'd definitely agree with pikey, quicker & less hassle to tow & launch a rib than pack & unpack a sib everytime

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 18 February 2022, 15:21   #4

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I'd definitely agree with pikey, quicker & less hassle to tow & launch a rib than pack & unpack a sib everytime

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
I agree with PD and Ken. Not mentioned is better seaworthiness from a RIB, comfort, console steering, instruments etc.
Old 18 February 2022, 17:31   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I've chosen to be a sibber for over ten years... horses for and all that. I'll answer more on your other thread.
Old 18 February 2022, 19:44   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I’ve own loads of boats of different sorts I still go to the same places as i did with my ribs etc in the same conditions with my SIB and enjoy it.
Old 19 February 2022, 06:51   #7

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Yip everyone needs to look at the gurnard he’s been practically just about the whole of the Scottish inner and outer Hebrides with his small and large sib it’s your knowledge and experience that makes it easier
Old 19 February 2022, 13:05   #8

It's all very well in this and the other thread members with decades of experience recommending Sib-life but it wasn't exactly helpful to me as a newbie with no experience.

Should just have gone straight to a RIB or the hard sided boat I now have. My advice? Buy secondhand. Not so much to lose if you decide to sell it on.
Old 19 February 2022, 13:29   #9

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Yesterday Storm Eunice brought blizzards and high winds to Scotland so I had absolutely no plans to go boating today. Today I awoke to a calm morning with blue sky so on impulse decided to go up the loch in a boat. It was a perfect day out

I own both a 4m RIB on a trailer and a 2.75m F Rib and decided to use the F Rib
Truth is .. My trailered RIB is FAR MORE work to launch and recover than my wee boat.. let me explain why.

It took 5 minutes to load the wee F Rib and its gear into my car. If I was going to use the RIB.. it would have taken much longer. Taking its cover off.. fixing the trailer board and ensuring it is securely tied. Tyres up to pressure etc .. then I would have to manoeuvre it out my back yard which for me is time consuming.

It took 10 minutes to blow up the F Rib..I normally takes me around 5 minutes to untie the RIB ..remove the trailer board..check the RIB bung is in then reverse it to the sea.

When I landed ..it took me 15 minutes to dry the SIB with a towel and pack it in its bag and put everything in the car. It takes me longer winching the boat on its trailer..recovering the trailer from the sea with a rope as I beach launch before I can put the trailer on the car. Securing the boat to the trailer and attaching the number plates .

Dried off with a towel and put in its bag.. 5mins

Once I got home it took 5 minutes unloading the car and putting the F Rib in the shed. I don’t wash it down as it will be use again the next nice day as it is so easy to use. That of course could be several days or several weeks as its still winter but the F Rib comes to no harm stored reasonably dry.

My RIB would take several hours washing down the trailer and the boat..trying to get everything dry so electrics don’t rot..tying down the cover so tomorrows 60mph wind don’t rip it off etc etc. Both RIB and F Rib outboars take the same time to flush in a bucket

Did any RIB owners go out today as it is so easy for them to launch and recover ?.

If you didn’t ..why not just tell the truth and say ... its too much work for a day s outing especially on impulse.

PS Limecc..you talk bollocks about boats are you Big Plums ?
Old 19 February 2022, 14:15   #10

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post

You can’t say that Donny, he’s the resident expert on props on this forum [emoji848][emoji848]
Old 19 February 2022, 14:47   #11

You have to remember one thing with the gurnard he tells it as it is weather you like it or not 🤣🤣
Old 19 February 2022, 17:32   #12

Quote:
Thanks. I'm entitled to my opinion due to a SIB disaster. Suck it up.
Old 19 February 2022, 17:48   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
You have to remember one thing with the gurnard he tells it as it is weather you like it or not 🤣🤣
Now that was BigPlumbs and most did not.
Old 19 February 2022, 18:23   #14

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
It's all very well in this and the other thread members with decades of experience recommending Sib-life but it wasn't exactly helpful to me as a newbie with no experience.

Should just have gone straight to a RIB or the hard sided boat I now have. My advice? Buy secondhand. Not so much to lose if you decide to sell it on.
Will always disagree with you on this point Limecc, it's horses for courses. You didn't have a happy experience with your sib, or with Excel for that matter, but for thousands of people a SIB is the way to go.
I went for a SIB because I tow a caravan, and I'm so pleased I did. I don't think I would have had as much time on the water if I had a RIB.
I've had brilliant times with Redneck over the past 18 months (take note it's not decades!) and hope to have many more.
My advice to the OP is research, ask questions, ask yourself what you want from a boat, rib, sib. List the pros and cons of each before deciding.
As for buying 2nd hand! have you seen 2nd hand prices recently?
Old 19 February 2022, 18:30   #15

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Didn’t you have a RIB disaster too Limecc ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Not mentioned is better seaworthiness from a RIB, comfort, console steering, instruments etc.
I was perfectly comfortable dry and warm in my wee SIB today . It was a fantastic day on the water.

Some more photos of today’s trip

The irony of your opinion Limecc is ... I guess it was too uncomfortable and cold for your bling boat today
Old 19 February 2022, 18:37   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Will always disagree with you on this point Limecc, it's horses for courses. You didn't have a happy experience with your sib, or with Excel for that matter, but for thousands of people a SIB is the way to go.
I went for a SIB because I tow a caravan, and I'm so pleased I did. I don't think I would have had as much time on the water if I had a RIB.
I've had brilliant times with Redneck over the past 18 months (take note it's not decades!) and hope to have many more.
My advice to the OP is research, ask questions, ask yourself what you want from a boat, rib, sib. List the pros and cons of each before deciding.
As for buying 2nd hand! have you seen 2nd hand prices recently?
Ironically if I'd had a SIB the size of Donny's it might have worked for me. Even so, I'd have ended up getting something faster and more capable in addition.

You said it already, horses for courses. It's a bummer we have to take two tow cars on holiday but I'm fine with it because it enables the kind of boating I want to do and I could always have it in storage/dry stack near point of use if I wanted. Totally unsuitable for Scottish lochs of course but too far away to even consider. That's if they let powered craft on.
Old 19 February 2022, 18:39   #17

I’ve had my fare share of problems with different types of boats won’t mention any in particular but you have to work them out and resolve issues and move on doesn’t mean other people won’t have that problem with there boat it like buying five washing machines of the same brand you could get the duff one and the rest could go for years without any issues I think you need to chill out a wee bit and take it easy
Old 19 February 2022, 18:47   #18

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
The thing is that some suffer from family not having the same enthusiasm as them which I think some have suffered not mentioning names, but before you buy make sure the family know all the bad as well as the good. It’s been mentioned those of us with experience with our opinion how do you think we started, well with no where near the amount of affordable quality gear and info such as this forum and the internet. If anyone wants to start up there is more than enough advise on here from folks who know, bedtime reading essential.

Good look
Old 19 February 2022, 18:54   #19

Ahh Jeff I thought you were about to read us all a bed time story 🤣🤣🤣
Old 19 February 2022, 18:56   #20

Quote:
Didn’t you have a RIB disaster too Limecc ?

I was perfectly comfortable dry and warm in my wee SIB today . It was a fantastic day on the water.

The irony of your opinion Limecc is ... I guess it was too uncomfortable and cold for your bling boat today
No I had a happy RIB experience where did that come from?
Disappointed with the amount of elbow grease to keep the tubes looking nice and then one of them developed a slow leak and I worried how bad it might get. Glue has only a limited life and mine was getting older and older. This is why Jeff cut his SIB up I recall. I decided to sell instead.

That water looks nice and flat. Perfect for Sibbing. At sea when conditions worsen even yourself with all your experience know when to call it quits. It will be sooner than somebody in a 6.5m RIB. And even when conditions are simply unpleasant yet safe, you'll be getting a faceful of the wet stuff, a*se bouncing on a wet tube with aching knees when probably a RIB will be dry and comfortable due to those lovely suspension seats. I think you get a thrill out of pushing the boundaries of what's achievable in a small SIB. Fine. I'm not going to be critical or mocking like you are with me. Your choice. My choice.

Tags
sib