Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
Ahh Jeff I thought you were about to read us all a bed time story 🤣🤣🤣
Well it’s the same old shite someone needs advice on a quick set up and the salesman wants to sell him a RIB or plastic boat all I’m pointing out is when you look at the reply’s from SIB owners generally we post up stuff to help with threads started of boat set up and trips etc. the one big thing is if the boss doesn’t want it you’re scuppered before you start so the rib might be the way to go but I dought it because the waves, weather etc look the same to them no matter what boat you have. Been there bought the tea shirt.
Old 19 February 2022, 19:14   #22

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
The thing is that some suffer from family not having the same enthusiasm as them which I think some have suffered not mentioning names, but before you buy make sure the family know all the bad as well as the good. It’s been mentioned those of us with experience with our opinion how do you think we started, well with no where near the amount of affordable quality gear and info such as this forum and the internet. If anyone wants to start up there is more than enough advise on here from folks who know, bedtime reading essential.

Good look
Got that spot-on Jeff.

I recall taking the SIB all the way up the Solent, Lymington to Cowes, missus not happy at all. It wasn't even all that choppy. Put her off the sea forever. Would have been even worse experience for her in Donny's F-rib. Oh and overfalls near Salcombe were not even breaking but another bad experience for her. She felt fine doing the PB2 in a 6.5m RIB.

Edit: Did I mention the final nail in the SIB coffin? Trying to haul it up the beach at South Sands, Devon. Tide out, long exhausting day, she started complaining of chest pains while pulling her arms out. Enough was enough. Had to sell it and get a trailered boat. Oops there I go. Talking b*****ks again!
Old 19 February 2022, 19:23   #23

Town: Retford
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Got that spot-on Jeff.

I recall taking the SIB all the way up the Solent, Lymington to Cowes, missus not happy at all. It wasn't even all that choppy. Put her off the sea forever. Would have been even worse experience for her in Donny's F-rib. Oh and overfalls near Salcombe were not even breaking but another bad experience for her. She felt fine doing the PB2 in a 6.5m RIB.
A good point too is you must do the research weather, tides, over falls and races, that’s where the amount of info on here and elsewhere is essential as you know. I had a six meter rib my wife hated going under the Connell bridge in flat calm because the prop slipped and the bow tracked in the current.
Old 20 February 2022, 08:41   #24

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Realy dont get the idea that sibs are an easy set up compared to a rib & why limecc is getting such a bashing. I've been through pretty much all the sizes of rib sib & hard boat & talking purely of set up time & effort a well set up rib at a decent storage & launch facility will always be quicker & less effort to get on the water than a similar size or even considerably smaller sib.
Your own storage facility & local launch facility have a huge bearing on your time to water.
My typical day out would start by chucking lifejackets & waterproofs/gear in the car while my wife organises the boys (5 & 3 yo) then back the car up to the boat in the shed & hitch up plug in lights & move out (slowest part of the operation is opening & closing the roller door) we all jump in the car & head to launch. Mainly 'b' roads so drive is no slower due to trailer than without. On arrival at marina remove 2 straps from trailer & whilst my wife dresses the boys I back the boat into the water. I unhitch the winch & leave the boat secured by the painter, jump over the bow from the draw bar, trim the engine down half way start it & check water flow etc. Then go to the bow & release the painter & boat rolls into the water & tie up to the pontoon where by now the boys are & are fighting over who ties up the ropes. My wife usually goes & parks the car & trailer while I get the boys seated.
If I was taking a sib I'd still need to go in the shed hump the not exactly easy to carry boat into the car then the engine then fuel tanks etc so more physical effort & manual handling required than getting the rib out. Then the same effort & manual handling at the launch plus the time setting up & inflating the boat & fitting the engine tank & any other gear. Recovery of the rib for us means backing the trailer into the water & hooking the winch on, a few turns to pull the boat the last 1/4boat lenght onto the trailer & were ready to pull up to the wash bay. Hook up the flush mufs & while the engines flushing fit the two straps remove the bung & empty the gear out of the boat, switch off engine trim up & hose off boat & trailer, head home & reverse boat into shed ready for next trip.
In contast my 2.9m sib would take way more time & effort to get out transport & set up.
You might say thats easy if you have crew but i can & have launched a 7.4m boat on my own many times using the same facilities.
It wouldnt work if you only had a shingle or beach launch on your own but thats where the individual circumstances come in
The simple fact is not one size fits all and to blanket say a sib is easier & less hassle than a rib is just plain wrong because a rib is often way easier & less effort than a sib.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 20 February 2022, 08:55   #25

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
I don’t think he’s getting a bashing it’s more of a friendly debate [emoji12]
Old 20 February 2022, 09:18   #26

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
The simple fact is not one size fits all and to blanket say a sib is easier & less hassle than a rib is just plain wrong because a rib is often way easier & less effort than a sib.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app

As you say yourself ever individual situation is different Beamishken so perhaps we are both wrong to generalise which incidentally ... you did in your first post when you said

Quote “I'd definitely agree with pikey, quicker & less hassle to tow & launch a rib than pack & unpack a sib everytime”

I was describing my RIB setup for launch and recovery simply so sterobloc was not mislead by your generalisation. Hope that clarifies to you and everyone else .. my reason for posting what I did.
Old 20 February 2022, 09:22   #27

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Well it’s the same old shite someone needs advice on a quick set up and the salesman wants to sell him a RIB or plastic boat all I’m pointing out is when you look at the reply’s from SIB owners generally we post up stuff to help with threads started of boat set up and trips etc. the one big thing is if the boss doesn’t want it you’re scuppered before you start so the rib might be the way to go but I dought it because the waves, weather etc look the same to them no matter what boat you have. Been there bought the tea shirt.

Here’s a curve ball Jeff, my missus prefers the SIB to the RIB & I’m being “nudged” to sell the RIB. Naturally I’m resisting, but I don’t know how long I can hold out for🥴
To the OP,
As someone already said, it’s horses for courses and your choice of boat should be influenced by what kind of boating you want to do. If we take the RIB, we are going on a boating holiday, so the holiday is organised around the RIB, routes/launching/storage/fuel etc.
If we take the SIB, it’s a “normal” holiday where we wander & explore and occasionally find somewhere to put the SIB in. TBH the latter tends to be more relaxed & stress free, notwithstanding the time involved in setting up & deflating the SIB. Paradoxically, the SIB can also be more physically demanding to launch. Lifting the motor on/off & then dragging the outfit to the water (and back again [emoji849]) can be a struggle. Whereas reversing the RIB down a nice sheltered slip is a doddle. I stand by my earlier comment about setup times, the SIB takes 40-45 mins from parking the van to launching. The RIB is less than 10 mins.
There is no right & wrong answer, it all depends on what you want from your boating and your budget.
Nice new SIB outfit circa £4000
Nice new RIB circa £45000 and up.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2022, 09:39   #28

Sorry to question your reply piky but a new rib could be had for around £15000 depending upon what model you have and make ie a new stock Humber is available for £8,500 to £10,500 plus outboard between £5,500 to7,000 depending upon dealers top end ribs might hold that demand but lower to mid class don’t just saying 🤦*♂️
Old 20 February 2022, 10:25   #29

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
Sorry to question your reply piky but a new rib could be had for around £15000 depending upon what model you have and make ie a new stock Humber is available for £8,500 to £10,500 plus outboard between £5,500 to7,000 depending upon dealers top end ribs might hold that demand but lower to mid class don’t just saying 🤦*♂️

Fair comment, I was pitching my price at the midrange 6m/150hp/trailer/kit/insurance, area. I think your outboard prices might be a tad optimistic, depending on size/brand obviously. I can’t see much change out of £15k on a new 150hp, that’s if you can find one.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 20 February 2022, 10:37   #30

Ahh my mistake I was looking between 4m/5.5m range yeah you would be around that mark with everything all in
Old 20 February 2022, 11:20   #31

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Always good to read a RIB vs SIB discussion/bitchfest. There is no single correct answer as some have said above... in many ways well demonstrated by The Gurnard having a trailed RIB and car carried SIB for different days or different locations.

That's why in the other thread I just put up my reasons for finding a SIB perfect but didn't in any way try to say they were better than a RIB.

As someone has said the OP hasn't given enough detail of their intended use to refine down their best options any more than general advice.

For example the last place we owned was rural with enough yard space for 10 trailed boats and a huge workshop I built that would have taken a 7m RIB with space all round to work on. Where we are now there is no spare drive or garage space for a trailed boat so it would have to be stored down the local farm and I prefer not to do that.

Consider our nearest favourite launch location. There is no formal constructed slipway and no trailer parking facility. So with a RIB you'd have to launch then drive round the adj residential streets to try and find a space long enough for car and trailer left so as not to block or annoy anyone. A right faff.

So both home and launch point make a SIB ideal for our circumstance. But should we live on the south coast near a well organised concrete ramp with parking and aspire to jaunts over to Cowes or Yarmouth for lunch most weekends we'd have a very different craft.
Old 20 February 2022, 11:56   #32

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Always good to read a RIB vs SIB discussion/bitchfest. There is no single correct answer as some have said above....

Absolutely, for once I’m sitting on the fence, with a boot firmly in both camps. RIBs & SIBs are completely different beasts, and trying to compare them is comparing spanners to hammers. Both are tools & in the right hands could do each other’s job at a push, but they will both excel at a particular task.
Anyway, let’s not let reason get in the way of a good bustup discussion [emoji6]
Old 20 February 2022, 13:20   #33

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Think this sibbing lark is all a state of mind, and Limecc deffo not a fully paid up member.[emoji3]

Been powerboating, waterskiing, sailing, windsurfing all my life and sibbing/ribbing the last 10+years. For any boating think you have to be keen on all aspects of it, including assembling, launching, cleaning, fettling, faffing etc. or it just becomes a chore.

Our sibs and motors got bigger over the years with a growing but keen boating family so plenty of bodies on hand to haul kit. Now sibbing mostly solo so rigs smaller and lighter, but if I can physically lift it, drag it, launch and retrieve it then keen to carry on doing it.

Lucky to have a trailered rib and a blow up sib, both very different craft. The rib is great and allows more on water days but wouldn’t want to be without a sib.

To be honest, for our usual boating location, launching/retrieving the rib is a much quicker, less stressful/physical experience than inflating/hand launching/retrieving/deflating the sib.

It’s all relative though as there are many who would consider even trailer launching a faff, preferring dry-stacks, marinas, moorings etc.

Takes all sorts.
Old 20 February 2022, 16:09   #34

Town: Retford
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Here’s a curve ball Jeff, my missus prefers the SIB to the RIB & I’m being “nudged” to sell the RIB. Naturally I’m resisting, but I don’t know how long I can hold out for🥴
To the OP,
As someone already said, it’s horses for courses and your choice of boat should be influenced by what kind of boating you want to do. If we take the RIB, we are going on a boating holiday, so the holiday is organised around the RIB, routes/launching/storage/fuel etc.
If we take the SIB, it’s a “normal” holiday where we wander & explore and occasionally find somewhere to put the SIB in. TBH the latter tends to be more relaxed & stress free, notwithstanding the time involved in setting up & deflating the SIB. Paradoxically, the SIB can also be more physically demanding to launch. Lifting the motor on/off & then dragging the outfit to the water (and back again [emoji849]) can be a struggle. Whereas reversing the RIB down a nice sheltered slip is a doddle. I stand by my earlier comment about setup times, the SIB takes 40-45 mins from parking the van to launching. The RIB is less than 10 mins.
There is no right & wrong answer, it all depends on what you want from your boating and your budget.
Nice new SIB outfit circa £4000
Nice new RIB circa £45000 and up.
Yea the thing is that the OP had considered the rib but due to cost it took a step back so the sib was, is an option as I’ve said sibs are very capable but if you have a bad experience as some have it tends to change their opinion at that point they aren’t going to help the OP. As you say the dayly set up is a pain for that reason i trailer mine. My reason for down sizing was I had a £40000 boat to buy new, not getting full use due to being mid country, work etc, second my wife losed her confidence as woman do third retirement was looming so keeping my boat at home and putting the dosh from the rib in the bank seemed the way to go. So buying a new set up sib ticked the box. I’m 68 now all the aches and pains so I do everything to help me get on the water easy I must say when I see some launching younger than me with all the gear and no idea it’s entertaining. The blow and go boat you have Dave is probably the best option if a dayly set up is the only way. As gurnard shows the small boat has plenty of scope
Old 20 February 2022, 16:54   #35

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I see the OP has sort of left us to it. Also that they posted in 2016, 2017 & 2018 looking for a RIB considering various options from a new 5.9m Highfield to a 6m+ with inboard diesel.

It is obvious the boating activity (not to say costs) would be chalk and cheese between such craft and the average SIB.

So a couple of things cross my mind... Has the OP any boating experience at all to put down a benchmark for what they expect to get out of their ownership? And would a used SIB outfit for say £3k being a fraction of the price of the RIBs considered be a way to get on the water for peanuts then make a decision based on that experience to either stay sibbing, not bother or move onto a RIB?

Tags
sib