Old 09 September 2020, 15:43   #1

Town: Congleton
Boat name: No boat yet!
Make: NA
Length: no boat
Engine: NA
Seems this is the new biking!

Hi Everyone,

Just about to sell my motorbike and we've decided to look at getting a RIB something we can all get some fun out of as a family and perhaps even a bit of fishing! We're going to book on the PB2 course next month hopefully.

I'm looking at the cheaper end of the market 6 to 8K and i've come across a rib, now I can see it's going to need a seat here or there but I can't find much info on the them it's a 5.2 OSPREY SEAHAWK hard nose? for 7k just wondered if they're a stay away from or not too bad?

Thanks for any guidance.
Old 10 September 2020, 17:04   #2

Town: Llanfairfechan
Boat name: Labrax
Make: Quicksilver
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Welcome Gafharp, ribbing can be just as addictive as biking. May want to sell your leathers and buy a dry suit too
From experience though, you may want to keep them. I ended up just downsizing the bike because (at that time) I was too far away from the sea to get on the water at short notice, but having a bike in the garage as well....

Sorry, I am not familiar with the rib you are looking at, but good luck with whatever you get and have fun!
Old 10 September 2020, 17:11   #3

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
I would agree for now perhaps keep “a bike” some nice older 90’s machines around and going up in value ........

Can’t finish work on a summer evening and hop in the rib for an hour to let off some steam as easily as you can a bike......(unless it on a mooring and you live close by)

7k is a good budget but now is the end of the season and it’s been a proper silly season, a rib that suits the solent isn’t necessarily a rib that suits the Menai and vice versa so where will you do most of you boating, will you store afloat, ashore in a bit park/stack at home in garage (limits options) or drive way (again limits options) is your car set up towing, AWD etc

These are the practical factors before you get into space, seating layout, jockeys, benches etc etc

Doing a PB2 in an area your likely to use regularly is a great idea they are often done on 5-7m ribs so well worth doing also some dealers have demo boats to try, there is a show of sorts this weekend (I guess as long as only 5 people turn up) might be worth a look if at a loose end (it’s Southampton)