Old 22 June 2019, 21:45   #21
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
If you're heading for the Hebrides. On Route...Canna & Eigg probably the best of the Small Isles, Loch Scavaig and a walk round Loch Coruisk. west coast of Skye is stunning. Highlights about half a mile into Bracadale from McLeods Maidens and about half a mile up the coast from same. If the weather is kind you'll be able to get ashore at Niest Point Lighthouse also good shelter and I believe a pontoon at Pooltiel. Petrol at Dunvegan.

If you're going round the east of Skye Loch Hourn is stunning. Good cafe (and pontoons) at Kyleakin. Facilities at Plockton. Interesting sea cave on the north side of Eilean Trodday off the most northerly point of Skye. Good shelter and anchorage in Acairseid Mhor on Rhona.
If you're going into Portree check with the harbourmaster that there's not a cruise ship in as they close the pontoon to other users.

PS 5 days in that area ain't nearly enough.Have fun..stay safe.
Sorry dude, but another Friendly English Brother is taking a right at Oban and excluding the majority of yer coastline on his "Around Britain"!

Abysmal, but Typical, IMO.

FREEDOM!!
Old 23 June 2019, 06:56   #22

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
He did say his plans had changed so maybe a revised timescale meant they had to take a short cut. It's still a brilliant adventure.

Being an FEB myself and for selfish reasons, I'm all for everyone turning right at Oban.
Old 23 June 2019, 07:24   #23

Town: Starcross
Boat name: Blackbeard
Make: XPro
Engine: Outboard
Thanks. Nah not over the top now as 20 days of being so wet/cold (some nights I’ve not been able to sleep) have led to some changes of the plan... Yesterday we got on the Crinan and it was sunny/warm enough to take off the stinking thermals. Hoping for the same today... Definitely be up around Scotland with a boat in the future though!!
Old 23 June 2019, 07:30   #24

Last Tango, thanks for the tips/petrol advice. I think Eigg/Rum could now be on the agenda, and Skye if the weather holds out. It’s looking good for the next week...
Old 23 June 2019, 08:14   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Sorry dude, but another Friendly English Brother is taking a right at Oban and excluding the majority of yer coastline on his "Around Britain"!

Abysmal, but Typical, IMO.

FREEDOM!!
Ha, yes rubbish isn’t it. Surfed on the North of Scotland and West coast of Ireland a lot and a real shame to miss them out. If someone gave me a boat and annual salary I’d do it every year!!
Old 23 June 2019, 08:32   #26

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.mcfarlane View Post
Thanks. Nah not over the top now as 20 days of being so wet/cold (some nights I’ve not been able to sleep) have led to some changes of the plan... Yesterday we got on the Crinan and it was sunny/warm enough to take off the stinking thermals. Hoping for the same today... Definitely be up around Scotland with a boat in the future though!!
Must be doing something wrong!

These guys are doing it in a 60 year old Wayfarer (16.5ft Wooden Open Sailing dinghy): https://nipegegiroundbritain.com/nipegegi/

Going all the way round - NON-STOP. Currently been on then water 8 days solid and have pretty much done Lands End to John O'Groats

Although to be fair... If I ever pluck up the courage to get round - I plan on spending plenty of time in the nice bits... I figure I might take 10 years!
Old 23 June 2019, 09:17   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Must be doing something wrong!

These guys are doing it in a 60 year old Wayfarer (16.5ft Wooden Open Sailing dinghy): https://nipegegiroundbritain.com/nipegegi/

Going all the way round - NON-STOP. Currently been on then water 8 days solid and have pretty much done Lands End to John O'Groats

Although to be fair... If I ever pluck up the courage to get round - I plan on spending plenty of time in the nice bits... I figure I might take 10 years!
Yeah I know exactly what we did wrong, got excited after the summer last year and hoped for the same again...

Just checked out the link you sent, now that is impressive!! Hope all works out for them as can imagine there will be times it’ll be comparable to torture!

I remember reading a book about some guys who sailed a Wayfarer from Iceland to the UK, maybe in the 80’s. Fair play to them, but how could they miss out on so many harbours/pubs?
Old 23 June 2019, 10:22   #28

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.mcfarlane View Post
Yeah I know exactly what we did wrong, got excited after the summer last year and hoped for the same again...
Its gonna be hot from Tuesday this week I think.

Quote:
I remember reading a book about some guys who sailed a Wayfarer from Iceland to the UK, maybe in the 80’s. Fair play to them, but how could they miss out on so many harbours/pubs?
That'll be Frank Dye (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Dye). He was an adventurer beyond all belief. I think he actually went UK to Iceland. Also did UK to Norway.
Nearly died a few times in the process.

These new adventurers are probably not taking the same risks. They can turn to port at any time and be at a safe haven in <12 hrs. The have electrics, gas stove, sat comms, GPS mapping etc. If it all goes wrong the will get rescued. When things went wrong for Frank no-one knew!

However, they are stretching the limits still. They are trying to break a record - so not hugging the coast. 220mile sea open passages. They have to have enough food on board for 30days. They can't carry that much water so have to make it on the way. Frank was at sea 11 days for his longest passage I think. They need kit for 3 times longer than that.

Frank did it in Oil Skins and a Wooly Jumper. These guys are in dry suits. But you can't do a poo in a drysuit so they need to take it off every time nature calls and because they are trying to break a record (or 4) they aren't even going to stop the boat to do it... One of them got diarrhoea a few days in...
Old 23 June 2019, 11:08   #29

Town: Amlwch
Boat name: Gibraltar 1
Make: Osprey Eagle
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 100hp outboar
Glad to see you guys are still making progress Tom , I think comparing your journey to others is a fruitless exercise , every journey is different and you want to stop off , see places and meet the locals. It sounds like a great adventure . Maybe one day time and finances will allow me to do something similar . I’ll make a point of calling it Round (some) of Britain then so it doesn’t upset anyone . Good luck with the rest of the journey .
Regards, John
Old 23 June 2019, 11:46   #30

Town: always under way
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Its gonna be hot from Tuesday this week I think.

That'll be Frank Dye (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Dye). He was an adventurer beyond all belief. I think he actually went UK to Iceland. Also did UK to Norway.
Nearly died a few times in the process.

These new adventurers are probably not taking the same risks. They can turn to port at any time and be at a safe haven in <12 hrs. The have electrics, gas stove, sat comms, GPS mapping etc. If it all goes wrong the will get rescued. When things went wrong for Frank no-one knew!

However, they are stretching the limits still. They are trying to break a record - so not hugging the coast. 220mile sea open passages. They have to have enough food on board for 30days. They can't carry that much water so have to make it on the way. Frank was at sea 11 days for his longest passage I think. They need kit for 3 times longer than that.

Frank did it in Oil Skins and a Wooly Jumper. These guys are in dry suits. But you can't do a poo in a drysuit so they need to take it off every time nature calls and because they are trying to break a record (or 4) they aren't even going to stop the boat to do it... One of them got diarrhoea a few days in...

At times like that you use the volume and squelch in equal and opposite measure, go to the upwind end of the boat and look away!
Old 23 June 2019, 12:05   #31

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Hook View Post
At times like that you use the volume and squelch in equal and opposite measure, go to the upwind end of the boat and look away!
They have quite a detailed method of performing a No.2 and the respective locations of crew members on their website (or should that be a blog).
Old 29 July 2019, 07:43   #32

Town: WIRRAL
Boat name: Amber
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: Mercury F/S EFI 60
Hi Tom,

Congratulations on completing your trip round Britain.
I have been keeping track of your progress through your blog.

Cracking achievement, well done.