Old 13 August 2022, 13:08   #1

Length: 4m +
Radio Check, Sydney, Aus

Hi RIBnet, this is Sean, from Sydney Aus.

I'm just skilling up to helping out with Dinghy Sailing for young-lings and a Bit of Liberty Sailing Support.

Very happy to e-meet the collective wisdom here.
I did post a question here with respect to RIBS, SWITCH to

https://www.rib.net/forum/f8/rib-fro...tml#post856110

Over
Old 14 August 2022, 09:01   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
You put your question in a strange thread - so it’s probably better I reply here.

For club or group ownership you want a very good quality, robust boat where neglect or minor misuse won’t quickly lead to failure. In Australia sun will mean tube quality is really important. In the U.K. there are about four brands which are widely used by sailing clubs / outdoor centres etc - ribcraft, XS, humber, valiant* (someone will be along in a minute to argue that their club uses something different, or still has a 30yr old sea rider, or 1990s Tornado). In terms of new purchases - that’s the normal list here - if I was on a club committee and someone was advocating buying from outside that list I’d be giving it much more thought than if it was a routine replacement from the list.

I don’t know which brands are used by sailing clubs in Australia. If you are seriously considering importing an unknown brand from China - don’t. Highfield are popular here but I don’t think they’ve cracked the sailing club market (I might be out of touch - I haven’t been paying much attention for last few years). They do very well in yacht tender market through some clever marketing in the saillife YouTube channels, and they’ve done well in the entry level leisure market competing against Brig etc. Brig and similar style over substance brands have zero presence in the sailing safety / coach world - that supports my statement about buying solid long lasting boats.

* not sure if these have moved more towards vanguard as they divided leisure and commercial models.
Old 14 August 2022, 19:31   #3

I'd have said you are missing "Tornado" in your list (perhaps they became XS?)

I think Highfield were trying to get a foot in the door and the odd club has gone that route but most clubs might own relatively few with an engine replacement more often than a RIB so it's hard to know if they would buy another.

My view is the V on the original Highfield is too shallow for sea work. They told me they had made changes a couple of years ago, but I've yet to see one in the wild. The price tag seemed to be £5k above what I think it should be! They do have some options with Bimini's etc which might be of interest in sunny places.

I think the key selling point of Highfield and some others in the same concept, is they are lighter which should mean smaller (cheaper) engines and lower fuel use (cheaper). In the current climate that may be a significant consideration.

The London 2012 Olympics used a fleet of VSRs which are still kicking around looking virtually new. You need a chat with your bank manager before looking! Was certainly at an event last week where the prevent coaching used the VSRs and then those coaches moved to other RIBs for the main event and they were not loving the move!

I'd actually say most sailing clubs have a hotchpotch of RIBs. Because someone suggested something cheap. Doesn't mean they would buy another.
Old 14 August 2022, 19:48   #4

Quote:
I’m considering a RHIB for inshore dinghy coaching.2 adults +4 teens in rescue mode. Must have lockable dry console stowage for first aid and 2xmark tackle(milk crate size.
Lockable? I've never known a RIB used by multiple people use locks. Any console will give you reasonably dry space to put a dry bag with first aid kit.

Tackle? Are you wanting to put the milk crate I'm a locker? Most people put it on the deck, held down with bungees if required. Worth remembering that tie downs on a Ali hull are harder to add.

Some really small consoles lack space for VHF etc. Not a problem for some clubs, But even on my inland reservoir we can struggle with 3mile h/h to h/h Comms.

Worth checking the other kit list that your operating authority expect (fire extinguisher, tow lines, throw lines, flares etc) and making sure you've spec'd enough space for them...
Old 15 August 2022, 09:48   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
I'd have said you are missing "Tornado" in your list (perhaps they became XS?)
eh...

Quote:
(someone will be along in a minute to argue that their club uses something different, or still has a 30yr old sea rider, or 1990s Tornado).
Old 15 August 2022, 19:11   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
eh...
It might help if you think of him as an echo?