Old 11 August 2012, 22:09   #1

Town: Raleigh, NC
Boat name: Recess
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 9.9
North Carolina , USA

That's right, I'm from North Carolina USA. Bought a little Avon Rover 310 Lite with Mercury 9.9, 2009 year model both. Original owner said he only got it wet 4 or 5 times. Having a great time on it. Now I want a bigger RIB and need to sell my hard boat first.
Original owner only had it wet 4 or 5 times he said. I've had it a week and been out twice. It's neat that I can haul it inside my Yukon, but I'm going to get a trailer to make it easier to launch.
Old 11 August 2012, 23:18   #2

Town: Midland Ontario
Boat name: Orange Crush
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 650
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 225 Off Shore
Welcome to the forum, got any photo's of the area you are ribbing in. Great you are enjoying your Avon. Let's hear more about about ribbing in North Carolina.
Old 19 August 2012, 18:04   #3

Town: Raleigh, NC
Boat name: Recess
Engine: Mercury 9.9
I've not seen another RIB here in NC except for the Coast Guard down at the coast. I'm sure I'll see some now that I own one. Just bought a small Shorelander Tadpull trailer for mine to make launch easier.
Old 19 August 2012, 18:21   #4

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Welcome to the forum, I was in NC last September in Charlotte it's lovely city.
Old 19 August 2012, 20:00   #5

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Hi and Welcome to the forum. I too have been around NC a fair bit with a previous job but never near the coast. Loved the family atmosphere during a NASCAR race I was invited to at the Super Speedway and back in the hotel over the whole weekend (even though the prices did go up). However as Ports go I loved Charlestown SC....Sorry

I'm sure you'll see other RIBs in due time, I saw a couple of Cougar marine R8's down South. They where re-branded Airsteams as I remember....Or is that Alloy caravans!!

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2012, 20:06   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
However as Ports go I loved Charlestown SC....Sorry
You soon know when your enter South Carolina by all the pot holes in the roads. I did the tour of the BMW factory in SC very interesting
Old 19 August 2012, 20:25   #7

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
You soon know when your enter South Carolina by all the pot holes in the roads. I did the tour of the BMW factory in SC very interesting
I was involved with commissioning and servicing of axle testing rigs for the X5 whilst in SC and working at an Eaton plant in Kings Mountain for some time.

I became quite an accomplished Bass fisherman, even teaching some techniques to my American fishing partners.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2012, 20:32   #8

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
I was involved with commissioning and servicing of axle testing rigs for the X5 whilst in SC and working at an Eaton plant in Kings Mountain for some time.

I became quite an accomplished Bass fisherman, even teaching some techniques to my fishing partners.
It was the X5's we saw being built them guy's on the production line don't have time to pick there nose, they work bloody hard, you wouldn't get workers like that in the EU As for Bass I've yet to catch one
Old 28 August 2012, 15:28   #9

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by theteacher View Post
That's right, I'm from North Carolina USA. Bought a little Avon Rover 310 Lite with Mercury 9.9, 2009 year model both. Original owner said he only got it wet 4 or 5 times. Having a great time on it. Now I want a bigger RIB and need to sell my hard boat first.
Original owner only had it wet 4 or 5 times he said. I've had it a week and been out twice. It's neat that I can haul it inside my Yukon, but I'm going to get a trailer to make it easier to launch.
In May of this year with a number of family members I travelled to Hayesville NC for a family wedding. Most of the time we were by the Chatuge lake . A very enjoyable place for some calm water boating which we did have an opportunity to enjoy.

We talked ribs but the only ribs most had heard of were the tasty ones you put on your plate to eat.
We just had to sample the RIB COUNTRY and the ribs were great. If you had to use a knife you would get your money back. Well we did not have to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	71581   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	71582   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	71583   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	71584   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	71585  

Old 30 May 2013, 12:31   #10

Town: Green Bay
Boat name: -
Engine: Outboard
Avon Rover 310 R.I.B.

I am trying to determine the correct way to configure the bowboard and the forward board(middle section) for the main deck assembly for my Rover 310 RIB with the inflatable keel.
The questions are:
1. On the forward/middle board, does the laminated section of wood face up or down? It has a beveled edge along the entire forward edge with a middle slot set back off the leading edge that the Bowboard extra slotboard fits into.
2. does the bowboard laminated section located in the middle of the back end of the bowboard face up or face down? Apparently they fit together in unison somehow.
3. As there is no way to assemble beforehand and install as an assembled unit - the stern board, H extrusion, forward board and the side extrusions as the fit into the rover hull is too tight pre-assembled.
My understanding of the assembly process is slide the bow board in first, then slide the stern board in, slide the side extrusions onto the stern board, install the H extrusion, slide the middle board into the side extrusions, push the middle board into the H extrusion, push the stern and middle sections back under the lower board on the stern plate, then this is where I get lost in the final phase of the assembly process.
Can anyone help with suggestions on the final phase of the assembly? I can get some photos if need be.
I would appreciate any input on questions #1 and #2, then finally item #3.
Thank you in advance,
David
Old 30 May 2013, 15:17   #11

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mat View Post
I am trying to determine the correct way to configure the bowboard and the forward board(middle section) for the main deck assembly for my Rover 310 RIB with the inflatable keel.
Doesn't that make it a SIB? A RIB has a solid, usually molded plastic, fiberglass, or aluminum hull. A SIB's shape is firmed up by the floor, with the tubes and keel defining the shape.

Quote:
Can anyone help with suggestions on the final phase of the assembly? I can get some photos if need be.
Pics would probably help. As would putting this in the SIB forum, rather than in the Intro forum.

In general, most sibs are assembled by shoving the bow pieces in place, the next section back is placed in, the aft board is slipped under the transom, the middle main floor is butted up to the aft floorboard, then the resulting overlap (between the front and middle main floor boards) is raised up and aligned, and levered down into position. The stringers at the sides are then put in to keep everything solid. Pump everything up and you're good to go.

That, of course, assumes you've got a 5-piece floor system. If not, then some variation will probably work, but you may have to experiment to get the right procedure.

Luck;

jky