Old 23 April 2015, 21:22   #1

Length: 3m +
Newbie needs some advice please :)

Hello Everyone, Great site!

Long time lurker, first time poster and a complete newbie, first SIB, so please be gentle

We have recently secured a deal on an Avon W400 Workboat that was previously a Fire Service rescue boat, in fact the seller has 2 of these and says we can pick whichever one we want...

Here's a few pics...

Hoping someone can advise us where and what to look at and check please so we can make sure we pick the best one?

Also we need some advice on the options for seating, launching wheels, bimini (+ fittings) and outboard stand/trolley...

As for powering it, it 's for use whilst on our holidays in France pottering up/down rivers etc and so the maximum horsepower is 6hp without a permit etc...

So what is everyones favourite 6hp 4 stroke outboard and why?

We have been considering the Yamaha F6, 2 cylinder, 197cc, similar to the 8hp or so I have been told, any thoughts, opinions etc?
Quite popular in France, but cannot find much info, reviews on them here in the UK...

Do you think I should start a new thread on each subject or await responses on this thread?

Oh, I nearly forgot, It comes on a Snipe breakback trailer, any ideas what it's worth as not needed by us...

Many thanks and best wishes to all

John & Family
Old 24 April 2015, 12:49   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
welcome!

W400 - I used it's 5M big bro when I did my sportsboat course. (eek - the name gives a clue as to how long ago it was!!! ) Good solid boats.

I don't know them intimitely, but someone with knowledgs should be along soon.... Generic thigns to look for are:
- Patches & tears (likely on a fire rescue boat - have a good look underneath as I guess it will have been beached / field-ed / B7036*-ed a few times! *other flooded roads are available!
- Check the transom - toob joins for material stressing / tears.
- check transom for breeaks in the covering (paint / epoxy - as that could indicate water ingress.
I think those ones had slatted floors for quick deployment? Check the slats for cracks / damage.

As for your engine - I guess if you've been lurking you'll know that you have just opened one of our favourite cans of worms...... so I'll kick off and say forget 4- stroke coz a 2-stroke will be much lighter to carry around......

Joking aside, just make sure you have the right shaft length - the small / "portable" stuff has a different set of "standard lengths" to the rest - do that bit of your research in inches! (e.g a longshaft "portable" is not too dissimilar to a "short shaft" bigger HP engine..... )
Old 24 April 2015, 15:03   #3

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
If it's 4 stroke new engine you want, 6HP Mariner/Mercury/Tohatsu is probably about the cheepest/lightest decent engine around (you can get them for under £900) and being single cylinder it's reasonably light. However as 9D280 says if you can get a two stroke it'll be lighter. The old Mariner/Mercury/Tohatsu 5HP was only 18 Kilos don't know what's out there by way of small two strokes now. I'd thought the cost of emission compliance had killed off the breed.
Old 25 April 2015, 15:56   #4

Hello 9D280, Hello Last Tango, thank you both for responding, saying hello and your advice

Fortunately I've been told the boat has no repairs or patches, but will check all the areas you have mentioned, especially the underside as you say it has probably been fielded, or B7036* etc, it does look like the keel has a rubbing strake but will check for wear, damage etc. From the pics it looks like the transom may have some paint missing in places, I was told it had some black marks on it, just looking at the transom in the photos now I'm wondering if the black plate on the outside of the transom is normal?

I've read on here people recommending to fill the boat with a few inches of water, but not sure if they will let me do that, suppose no harm asking, do you think this would be worthwhile?

The flooring of the boat is solid marine ply, not the slatted type, so that should hopefully give us more options for seating, mounting things etc, wondering if we can fit rails/stringers etc then fit the seat frames/supports like on the Futuras and then bench seats, or would we be better sticking on the supports (not sure what they are called?) to the tubes and installing thwart seats between the tubes? Our other idea is to fix some type of bracket to the floor that will hold down a wide box that could be a combined seat and storage?

I know the engine thing is a whole can of worms, and probably if we were only going to use on the UK coastline and at sea then I think we'd definitely have a look at 2 strokes, especially the Totatsus, their 9.9, 15 and 18 are supposed to be legendary from what I've read on here... But for our use there are just too many places we wish to go that will not allow the 2 strokes, as none environmentally compliant at the lower power levels, or none we could find...

Main reason we were considering the Yamaha over the Tohatsu is the twin vs single cylinder, as we hope the twin will run smoother and vibrate less, also hoping if can get the F6A that if we wished it could easily be derestricted to provide 8hp as basically the same engine or so we believe? Hoping it could be as easy as removing an insulator from the air intake? Jets, Carb, CDI we think may be all the same spec from looking at the service manuals, but really not sure?

Really good point about the shaft length etc, will get on to Avon and see what they recommend...

Thank you both for your help

John & Family
Old 25 April 2015, 18:03   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
I would definitely go for a twin cylinder over a single.

I have a 4hp 4 stroke Yamaha and it vibrates horribly.

So, lightest twin cylinder 6hp.

OR

"Largest" 6hp that might possibly be able to be uprated
Old 25 April 2015, 18:09   #6

Have a read...............
Yamaha F6 6 HP Outboard Motor | Small Outboard Motor Review

It looks like the new F6 is a single cylinder?

I've got a new 6HP Merc....vibrates quite badly but it's quiet & it was cheep. (also 5 year warranty)
Old 27 April 2015, 18:34   #7

Hello Searider, Hello again Last Tango

Thank you both for your input on the single cylinder engines and confirming the vibration etc. Not sure what the lightest twin cylinder outboard is, but largest I've found so far is the Honda BF6 at 222cc, same cc as the BF8 and BF10. After speaking with an independent outboard repair business, I'm leaning more towards the Yamaha, they were very complimentary about the little twin cylinder Yamaha F6, and less so about the small Honda outboards...

Can either of you give me any advice regarding seating / biminis / outboards stands / launching wheels?

Thanks again for responding and your comments...

Anyone else with any comments or advice would be very welcome, especially any owners of either the twin cylinder 6hp / 8hp Yamaha F6 / F8 or Honda BF6, BF8...

Or anyone with a small dinghy that has been through all the options for seating / launching wheels / outboard stands / biminis etc...

Best wishes to all,

John & Family
Old 28 April 2015, 08:06   #8

New Yam F6 is single cylinder! I'd guess despite the sales hipe the reason for the change will be down to manufacturing cost....they have to compete with the other major brands.
Having said that if you can get an "old stock" or second hand engine with warranty your not likely to have any problems. Properly maintained, most small outboards are very reliable.