Old 07 October 2014, 15:06   #1

Town: exeter
Boat name: Ad Lucem
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200hp petroloutboard
Newbie needing pacific 22 advice!

Hi everyone, been reading posts for a while but just signed up so I can get a bit more involved! I have a 6.1m Ribcraft ex dive rib that I am going to cosmetically improve this winter, that ones under control so decided to embark on the over ambitious project of refurbish a Pacific 22 hull that is frankly currently a mess....

I have benefitted greatly from reading all the PAC 22 posts on here and looking at the refurbs completed, which has given me lots of confidence. I am however deliberating about engines.

I have of course considered putting an inboard diesel back in but am tempted to convert to outboard just out of preference. I have downloaded the Pac22 manual already but it's not clear on engine options. My marine engineer friend is worried that it is a heavy hull and isn't really built for speed whereas lots of navy people I know have said it will handle anything?!

What is the top speed and horse power the hull is rated for? My plan was to rig with 1 250hp outboard or 2 130's with an expectation of getting around 45knotts? Is that a good plan?

Thanks, John from Topsham.
Old 07 October 2014, 15:54   #2

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Simon Dann at ddpacifics@yahoo.co.uk is a good contact for Pacific stuff (DD Pacifics) and has been very helpful to me.
I have just completely rebuilt a Pac 22 that has a Ford Sabre 250 BHP diesel and Hamilton 273 Jetdrive. In my opinion, the Pac 22 is immensely strong and over engineered and carries a lot of weight. Its sea keeping is very good. I wouldn't have said it is much of a speed machine, but if you are taking the inboard engine, gearbox and stern drive off, you are taking a lot of weight away. I have not tried one with outboards so cannot comment on handling and speeds etc, but I do wonder what impact it will have on the handling moving that weight out from rear 3rd of the hull and then hanging less weight on the transom. I wonder whether the handling will be affected. Several people have done this conversion on the site and I am sure will be along shortly to proffer advice. Good luck with your project.
Old 07 October 2014, 16:49   #3

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
The hull is very similar to the Arctic 22, I had twin 150s on mine with no problems. Should handle a single 250. I'm pretty sure that's exactly what Nugent on here did recently.
Old 07 October 2014, 18:43   #4

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
Running 250 hp on mine.
She is Hitting the magic 57 knots. This is genuine speed not the normal made up figures

Sits Lovell no twitching. And huge amount of under floor spade. Now that inboard has gone,,
Old 09 October 2014, 13:00   #5

Town: exeter
Boat name: Ad Lucem
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 200hp petroloutboard
Thanks for the replies! Very pleased to hear its feasible to get over 50 knots with 250, good news indeed. I have just got stuck in to the PAC 22 manual and a bit worried that my hull isn't quite the same length. Manual states 20ft 5" but I measure mine at 19ft 8"?? Wondering if it's actually a 21ft
Old 09 October 2014, 13:57   #6

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpreston50 View Post
Thanks for the replies! Very pleased to hear its feasible to get over 50 knots with 250, good news indeed. I have just got stuck in to the PAC 22 manual and a bit worried that my hull isn't quite the same length. Manual states 20ft 5" but I measure mine at 19ft 8"?? Wondering if it's actually a 21ft
Things shrink in the cold
Old 21 December 2014, 11:29   #7

Town: Ni
Boat name: Pacific 22
Make: Halmatic
Engine: Outboard
I converted my pacific 22 from diesel to outboard. I have a 75 mariner getting 24knotts but once a bigger engine comes along will will be getting fitted.

Will be happy to put any size on it. I wouldn't worry about the size of engine. The hull is so well made
Old 21 December 2014, 13:17   #8

Town: Bridport
Boat name: Pic
Make: Halmatic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Nearly finished my conversion. There is a fair bit of work to do. Have a look at my thread