Old 26 April 2010, 12:51   #1

Length: no boat
newbie after a RIB

looking to source a rib, any advice on what to look out for.

preferably after a 4 stroke, currently have a pwc 2 stroke that eats fuel.

are RIBS at moment like anything else hard to sell unless for a silly price.

So wanting advice on makes, know zodiac dealer near me also what make of engine, mariner, suziki etc.

I need an idiots guide lol
Old 26 April 2010, 12:58   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROGGLES View Post
looking to source a rib, any advice on what to look out for.

preferably after a 4 stroke, currently have a pwc 2 stroke that eats fuel.

are RIBS at moment like anything else hard to sell unless for a silly price.

So wanting advice on makes, know zodiac dealer near me also what make of engine, mariner, suziki etc.

I need an idiots guide lol
Hi

What do you want it for?
What sort of budget (new or second hand)
Where are you going to use it
How are you going to tow it
How many people are you going to carry and what sort of age

Jim
Old 26 April 2010, 13:26   #3

Town: home
Boat name: Johnny Fast Boat
Make: Ribeye S650
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150 AETX
MMSI: 235077433
take your time .......you'll find masses of information on this site ....... whatever you think you need ..... just buy the slightly bigger one
Old 26 April 2010, 14:35   #4

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Welcome to ribnet!

PWC are by definition jet powered. Jets are notoriously fuel inefficient, and as a general rule, if you razz around flat out all the time, the difference between 2 & 4 stroke is going to be next to naff all. The economies of a 4- stroke come when you spend a lot of time at idle or puttering around with a lure on the end of your line....... Afdmitedl, some of the modern Direct injection 2- strokes are in that category too, basicall 'coz they are electronically controlled.

A good place to start would be as Bedajim & Gossy say, work out the "big" contstraints - e.g. if you plan to keep it in a single domestic garage then you will be limited to boats no wider than 2m (as a round number).
Old 26 April 2010, 15:10   #5

i would say for about four people and a big dog,

just for pottering around, its others half mid crisis

probably a good used one, how well do they depreciate???

saw one at p lyncth up in morpeth a zodiac pro 500? i believe it new or ex demo asking close to £16000, thats a car for me in my eyes, just went to have a look.

It was quite big but guy said you can deflate them to get them in garage, dont know if that envolves to much faffing around. He said with 4 stroke you use a third less fuel!!
Old 26 April 2010, 15:29   #6

Quote:
It was quite big but guy said you can deflate them to get them in garage, dont know if that envolves to much faffing around.
Striclty speaking he's right, and if you are only doing it twice a year at the beginning / end of the season, it might not be so bad, but every time you go out? Deflating at least 5 sections then strapping them up so they don't get cayught & torn on the door mechanism then re- inflating before you drive off?

In my book that's hassle!

Quote:
He said with 4 stroke you use a third less fuel!!
Errr well at idle maybe on a good day.
Old 26 April 2010, 15:35   #7

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Striclty speaking he's right, and if you are only doing it twice a year at the beginning / end of the season, it might not be so bad, but every time you go out? Deflating at least 5 sections then strapping them up so they don't get cayught & torn on the door mechanism then re- inflating before you drive off?

In my book that's hassle!
On my friends Assault we used to have to deflate it but it was by a tiny amount, I aggree if having to fully deflate it every time its going to be a ball ache.
Old 26 April 2010, 18:26   #8

thanks guy, with only ever blowing a inflatable up on holiday before lol, i asked whether its much of a hassle and he replied NO he said everytime you go out you should really be checking pressure anyway, says it takes a few minutes.

Im trying to look at negative points for buying a certain size one, other half mid crisis, and 4 stroke theory bull, i was obviously comparing it too my pwc.
Old 26 April 2010, 18:28   #9

sorry guys when i say deflate only mean sides as short about 6 inches in total, my only cocern when partly deflated is it then weakened to getting damage
Old 27 April 2010, 08:16   #10

Again he's right about making sure it's pumped uip before you go out, but a couple of stamps on the pump versus having to fill a few tens of litres of toob could be the difference between 2 mins and 20 mins! I am constantly honing my "faff time" as my other half loves being out, just hates the messing around to get it to / into the water.......

I guess you mean the boat is 6 inches wider than the door? That might be Ok, but remember that you'll need to bring it in more than 6 inches to get a useable clearance. Also check the size of the solid bit underneath! The damage is more likely to be caused because when pumped up, there's a big fat rubbing strake on the widest part that will hit first and take the abuse easily. If deflated, the chances are you'll meet the door frame with the actual toob.

Also remember that you'll need to take a bit of length off to get the trailer drawbar in. I had to order a special and have been a bit creative with the winch post / bow snubber to allow a 5.3 M boat into a 5.7m garage. Most "off the shelf" trailers you can easily be looking at 1m of extra length for the drawbar. (and also check the trailer axle width - again there are not that many (braked) will go therough a standard single door.......)

Not trying to be negative here, just don't want you to buy something that ends up not fitting or never goes out coz it's so much hassle.......