Old 24 September 2021, 07:17   #1

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: excel volante
Make: excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: petrol 9.8hp

hi, all new to boating purchased a new rib excel volante sd360 with a 5hp motor based in Lincolnshire uk access to North Sea, any tips would be very welcome. regards Rickshaw.
Old 24 September 2021, 08:32   #2

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Rickshaw and welcome.

Firstly you have bought a SIB not a RIB.
There are quite a few threads on the forum with regard to Excel SIBs which will provide you with lots of information, but not many SD360s with a 5hp that I'm aware of. I think the closest set up would be Pumpkinking with his SD330 and 6hp Suzi.
Specific advice is hard to give as you are a bit short on detail. 5hp - what type, where do you intend to launch, solo or with others, fishing or just pottering about? You get the drift, the more info the better???? the advice.
One thing stands out though "new to boating". Is that totally new, no experience at all, or new to powered craft? Either way a good place to start would be to take the RYA PB2 course. It may appear to be overkill for what you have bought, but it will provide you with loads of information and skills.
It also may be prudent to have your maiden voyage in sheltered still waters. A lake, slow non tidal river, or a well sheltered estuary. Make sure you have all the safety gear (again lots of threads on here) and although you may want a quiet spot to make your guaranteed mistakes do it where there are other people, preferably other boaters around.
Old 24 September 2021, 11:22   #3

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikshaw View Post
hi, all new to boating purchased a new rib excel volante sd360 with a 5hp motor based in Lincolnshire uk access to North Sea, any tips would be very welcome. regards Rickshaw.
Hi welcome Rick.

Probably your best bet is starting out on the Trent and West Stockwith might be closest for you. Check out Boatlaunch.co.uk for all the places in your neck of the woods, I don't believe there's much to do or see out at sea and crossing the Humber's not straightforward after watching Cruising-the-Cut do it via narrowboat on YouTube.

You'll need Imray Tide Planner or Tideschart app most places you launch. If you want non-tidal then the free slip at Hazleford would be great for you but then you've got locks to negotiate.

Edit: If you can lift your boat over or go under the W.Stockwith slipway chain then launching is officially free, as is the parking. Rarely locked, but a key to the Basin's car park gate is available for a small fee from British Waterways website.

The wide canal at Torksey might be a possibility, free slipway near the lock to the Trent, not listed in Boatlaunch, nice tea rooms and toilets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TorkseyLock.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	138926  
Old 24 September 2021, 15:24   #4

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: excel volante
Make: excel
Engine: petrol 9.8hp

hi, new to boating my wife says I am having a mid life crisis what at 75?, joined our most local boat club at Saltfleet Haven, but need several bits of kit before I can venture out of the haven to north sea?, so this is were I am at so far, thanks for the boat launch info very usefull, regards rikshaw.