Old 04 October 2017, 18:04   #1

Length: 4m +
New to forum

Hi all, been reading posts for several months, owned a 4m searider for nearly a year now. Got 50hp mercury 2 stroke, 4 cylinder (1985) on it and love tinkering.

It has the flooding hull sealed up albeit by wooden wedges and the drain hole filled with glassfibre with drain screw. I thought it handled well but seems to sit quite high in water at bow compared to a friends who has flooding hull and 40hp Honda 4 stroke.

I am working at moving weight around to compensate after ready some posts about flooding hull not making a great deal of difference. I do have a double stainless a frame fitted as well so probably quite heavy at stern.

Any ideas??
Old 04 October 2017, 20:10   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
If his hull is flooded it will sit lower than yours I would think TWF
Old 04 October 2017, 21:25   #3

I don't think it's too much of a problem, but if I have 2nd person on jockey or slightly behind the jockey the engine struggles to push it, moving the person level or in front of myself allows much quicker planning.

I have purchased a bigger fuel tank and placed in front of my jockey rather than underneath, to try and counter the weight. My friends jockey console also seems very slightly forward of where mine is .

I believe the weight distribution with the engine and A frame might be favoured aft, in fact I found I got on the plane quicker with a 20 stone mate sitting in the bow and still hit 30+ knots.
Old 05 October 2017, 07:51   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
yep its just weight distribution until you get over the pressure wave the fuel tank will go some way to improving that try standing up throwing your weight forward until she planes then sit back. we use to chuck all our diving kit forward to achieve the same result
Old 09 October 2017, 18:47   #5
eze
RIBnet supporter

Town: Essex
Boat name: undecided
Make: Humber - Assault
Engine: Mercury 60 hp efi
MMSI: next year
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowetfeet View Post
I don't think it's too much of a problem, but if I have 2nd person on jockey or slightly behind the jockey the engine struggles to push it, moving the person level or in front of myself allows much quicker planning.

I have purchased a bigger fuel tank and placed in front of my jockey rather than underneath, to try and counter the weight. My friends jockey console also seems very slightly forward of where mine is .

I believe the weight distribution with the engine and A frame might be favoured aft, in fact I found I got on the plane quicker with a 20 stone mate sitting in the bow and still hit 30+ knots.
Hi there wetfeet,

I have a humber assault and am currently in the process of moving my console forward, 1 - to allow for a single jockey seat, 2 - because the boat planes better with more weight up front.(that was with a 25hp 4s engine)
Old 09 October 2017, 19:02   #6

I took mine out yesterday, only half tank 20l and found a difference only 2 up but it was flat calm. Was still better with 2nd person in bow.
Old 10 October 2017, 11:30   #7
eze
RIBnet supporter

Town: Essex
Boat name: undecided
Make: Humber - Assault
Engine: Mercury 60 hp efi
MMSI: next year
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowetfeet View Post
I took mine out yesterday, only half tank 20l and found a difference only 2 up but it was flat calm. Was still better with 2nd person in bow.
I'm with you matey, goes better with the weight to bow rather than aft.

So, I have just marked out the console and the jockey & applied gel coat this morning, Tomorrow I will apply non slip flow coat. To be honest I could have got away with just a single coat of flow coat but being new to this & as it was a colour change I played the cautious route
I will post some photos Wednesday & link you in on the project. Jeff Stevens on here has been very helpful.

So by moving the console forward, the ride may/will be harsher in chop, it may/will be more prone to spray. BUT the extra weight in the bow will/may help it to cut through certain chop and it will get on plane quicker. There may be a greater chance of chine walking but adjust trim or/& power down to sort it.

Just a thought here fella but have you considered the trying the SST hydrofoil jobbies that fit onto the AV plate (I think)

eze