Old 17 August 2015, 17:42   #1

Town: Long Beach
Make: saturn
Length: 5m +
new sib owner new member as well.

I just purchased a 18ft Saturn inflatable with aluminium flooring. I didn't see many reviews but from the ones I have seen they were descent boats as long as you take care of them. I will be reviewing this boat and will be using it in the harbor and also around the southern California coast for spear fishing and pole fishing. I will be getting all of the necessary safety equipment on board. Also will be planning a Catalina trip in the future, once I get comfortable left on how the Sib handles in different conditions.
Old 17 August 2015, 18:32   #2

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Saturn are 100% hand glued boats, made in China. They're on par with similar build quality boats on the market.

SIBs are fun though! Although they pound like crazy in choppy water conditions. Get out and enjoy it. It seems like you have purchased a fairly optimum size.

Welcome to the forums!
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2015, 19:13   #3

From what I understand they are Korean made. All the resources I have looked up say they are made in Korean. Well we will find out how will they day offshore.
Old 17 August 2015, 20:09   #4

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom7337 View Post
I just purchased a 18ft Saturn inflatable with aluminium flooring. I didn't see many reviews but from the ones I have seen they were descent boats as long as you take care of them. I will be reviewing this boat and will be using it in the harbor and also around the southern California coast for spear fishing and pole fishing. I will be getting all of the necessary safety equipment on board. Also will be planning a Catalina trip in the future, once I get comfortable left on how the Sib handles in different conditions.
Hi

What's the max HP you can use.
Old 17 August 2015, 20:58   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Catalina to LA is about 22 miles. Doable, but you really need to pick your day. It sucks when weather gets worse than you expected and you've got a long ways to go to get out of it.

jky
Old 17 August 2015, 21:15   #6

50hp max. I will be throwing on a evinrude 30hp etec. Tiller. Trying to keep it simple. Has anyone ever added a radar system to a Sib?
Old 18 August 2015, 13:03   #7

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
From what I understand they are Korean made. All the resources I have looked up say they are made in Korean. Well we will find out how will they day offshore.
I think they use Korean made PVC, but I'm not 100% where their production factory is. Their build design matches all other boats from East Asia (That part of the world loves TPR transom holders and transom caps), but it seems like their build quality is towards the upper-middle for the region. In California, I would strongly recommend inspecting the seams and fixtures every 6-12 months for wear and ungluing. The heat you experience there is unforgiving to glued PVC surfaces.

Quote:
50hp max. I will be throwing on a evinrude 30hp etec. Tiller. Trying to keep it simple. Has anyone ever added a radar system to a Sib?
I'm a big fan of BRP-Evinrude outboards. If you're a mechanic or tinkerer, they're pretty easy to work on. The most important thing is that you pay attention to the maximum outboard weight specified by the manufacturer. Exceeding that weight recommendation makes bad things happen. Make sure your trailer bunks support the transom, and I would recommend installing a transom saver in order to take the load off the transom during trailering.

Radar is a bit much. A good mobile-mounted VHF radio would be a solid investment in personal safety.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2015, 18:36   #8

As would a PLB, worn securely while underway.

jky
Old 18 August 2015, 20:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
I think they use Korean made PVC, but I'm not 100% where their production factory is. Their build design matches all other boats from East Asia (That part of the world loves TPR transom holders and transom caps), but it seems like their build quality is towards the upper-middle for the region. In California, I would strongly recommend inspecting the seams and fixtures every 6-12 months for wear and ungluing. The heat you experience there is unforgiving to glued PVC surfaces.

I'm a big fan of BRP-Evinrude outboards. If you're a mechanic or tinkerer, they're pretty easy to work on. The most important thing is that you pay attention to the maximum outboard weight specified by the manufacturer. Exceeding that weight recommendation makes bad things happen. Make sure your trailer bunks support the transom, and I would recommend installing a transom saver in order to take the load off the transom during trailering.

Radar is a bit much. A good mobile-mounted VHF radio would be a solid investment in personal safety.
I will be storing it in my garage so I hope it helps with the seams. The transom is 176 lb max limit the 30 e tech 15" is 150 lb. I was thinking of adding some sort of bracket to help secure the transom some more.
Old 19 August 2015, 14:47   #10

I think the problem you'll have bracing the transom is the construction of the floor pieces. A brace (knees - essentially a 45 degree bracket) can be secured to the transom pretty easily, but the floor, being either 2 sheets of aluminum or an AL/wood/AL sandwich, aren't beefy enough to secure to without backing plates (and may not be stiff enough even then - you just transfer load to an unsupported area.)

jky
Old 20 August 2015, 14:25   #11
FIN

Town: GLASGOW
Boat name: FIN
Make: AVON
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30 HP YAMAHA OUTBOAR
Hi all new to Rib net have recently purchased Avon spitfire s400 inflatable boat I now it's an older inflatable but not in to bad nick for age tubes hold air fine it's
the keel tube that is losing air need to get repair kit to repair or professional boat service to repair I also need info on correct trailer size also need to know what pressure tubes and keel need inflating to or can some point me in the right direction of a manual for this particular boat
Old 20 August 2015, 14:37   #12

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIN View Post
Hi all new to Rib net have recently purchased Avon spitfire s400 inflatable boat I now it's an older inflatable but not in to bad nick for age tubes hold air fine it's
the keel tube that is losing air need to get repair kit to repair or professional boat service to repair I also need info on correct trailer size also need to know what pressure tubes and keel need inflating to or can some point me in the right direction of a manual for this particular boat
Hi you will need to start a new thread