Old 25 August 2021, 20:01   #1
PMB

Town: Suffolk
Make: Yam 380s
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20hp Yamaha 4stroke
New SIB’er to be, in Suffolk

Greetings all, new SIB’er to be.

I say to be because I’m waiting for a few bits to be delivered due to availability dates from Yamaha.

Set up is:
Yam 380s
Yamaha 20hp 4 stroke outboard
PLUS
Additional Yam seat
Yam saddle bag
Yam bow cover
Icom VHF
Garmin handheld plotter
Trem HD transom wheels

All are new so should be sound with no issues.

We went for the bigger engine as SIB will be set up next to campervan and then launched.

We are looking for a bit of advice on all state of tides launch sites in Suffolk please
Old 26 August 2021, 09:00   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Welcome to the forum.

Well you've certainly dived into sibbing without hesitation buying all that Yamaha kit new. Are you just new to sibbing or boating in general?

I had a look at the 380S on Yamaha's website... looks nice in the later colour scheme with the black tube rear sections. In their images the transom looks to have a large central rise... does it still take a short shaft motor?

Edit: Just looked at the Yamaha brochure... they show the 340S and 380S both needing a long shaft motor... I wonder what on earth they were thinking... that's daft.
Old 26 August 2021, 09:12   #3

Re Suffolk locations have you looked at Boatlaunch. Not always up to date and minimal info at times but it's a vey good start.

https://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/

I launch just a little further south on Mersea Island which is all tide states with post launch pontoon, toilets/wash facilities, cafes and chandlers... parking difficult unless you know where to hide the car away.
Old 26 August 2021, 19:33   #4
PMB

Hi Fenlander

Thank you for the welcome.

I’m new to SIBing, boating I’m around every day for work, just on a larger scale.

We are a Yamaha dealer hence going all out on the Yamaha setup and a friend of mine is a Garmin dealer so the chart plotter was a no brainer.

They have changed to long shaft on the sport models, I think this is to gear more towards the water sports side of things. I will probably buy a 6hp as well after Xmas for gentle broads work and leave the 20hp for coastal stuff.

The 380s was the best of both worlds for us as we are a family of 5 and the versatility and performance ratio will work well for a big family and with our camper.

I know Mersea well as I lived there for a few years so will definitely become a regular haunt for us.

Thank you for the link, I will have a look 😊
Old 26 August 2021, 19:44   #5

If you are around boats you might realise my longshaft puzzlement was because pretty well every SIB of 4m and under takes a shortshaft so they are the in demand portable outboard on the used market should you sell on... and conversely if you wanted another outboard for your SIB it's so much easier to source a shortshaft.

Do upload some pics of your outfit when it's all together... both your SIB model and outboard aren't that well represented on here.
Old 26 August 2021, 20:01   #6
PMB

Yes, even our engineer was surprised at it being a long shaft, if we wasn’t Yamaha dealers I probably would of gone for the short shaft sib and motor for ease of availability but being able to source directly from the manufacturer makes availability of both long and short shaft fairly negligible.

I will definitely upload some pics once all together, all in the hands of the delivery gods at the moment lol

Tags
sib