Old 08 March 2012, 16:40   #1

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
New ribster from Bucks

Just to introduce myself as a new ribster, having just bought an Avon 560 with a Yam 100 4-stroke. I have done a lot of rag-and-stick boating over the years, but 40+ knots is a bit new to me! At the moment, I am just looking for some good family days out – with wife and teenage son. Might try ringos etc later.

I have lots of questions. I live about as far away for the sea as you can, in rural Bucks. I intend to tow the boat to the Solent, probably starting off launching it from Calshot. Is that a good starting place for a newbie?
I know the Solent quite well from my sailing, but I do not know which beaches, landing points and other good day out facilities are RIB-friendly – any advice?

Finally is there anywhere reasonably cheap, and reasonably secure that I might be able to store my RIB during the summer to save me towing it down every time?
All advice gratefully received!
Old 08 March 2012, 16:43   #2

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksribster View Post

Finally is there anywhere reasonably cheap, and reasonably secure that I might be able to store my RIB during the summer to save me towing it down every time?
Hi.

What sort of distance?
Old 08 March 2012, 19:15   #3

Well, I guess I'd consider anything within about 10 miles of a good launch site, or further if it was not too far off the route.
Old 08 March 2012, 20:14   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Seahawk 3
Make: Parker 6.3
Engine: 1.7 Mercruiser
Hi
Calshot has a really good slip which is nice and wide and good at all states of tide and i think they also do storage but not sure how secure it is etc, you'd have to enquire. The only slight negative is its a bit exposed so you tend to get knocked around a bit by the wash from large cruisers. We bought a season ticket for Lymington last year which also has a decent slip but does get really busy and there's no hose to wash the rib off etc where as Calshot has a decent hose. I think we're going to buy a season ticket for calshot this year for this reason. Its also worth mentioning that the RNLI share the slip so i think you're supposed to keep to the sides but to be honest its that wide i can't see it ever being a problem.
Old 08 March 2012, 20:48   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Calshot also does not have anywhere to moor alongside, no jetty etc just the ramp. Have a look at hythe marina further inland up Southampton water , well protected and is alongside the outside of the marina , also not such a long tow down, the calshot road can be a mare when busy
Old 08 March 2012, 21:12   #6

Town: Poole
Boat name: Half Cut
Make: Cobra 8.6
Engine: Verado 275
MMSI: 235104619
Hi, welcome.

That is a great combination, Avon 5.6 and Yam 100. I and my family had many hours of fun in ours. Safe, stable, decent amount of room, enough power to tow two rings, skis, boards, etc.

Have fun,

Oscar
Old 12 March 2012, 21:54   #7

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the advice - I really appreciate it.

C2 RIBS - do you happen to know how much Hyth charge for a launch / recovery? Sounds like a good place for a first launch.

Oscarguitar - maybe I bought your old boat - I bought it from the guy in Cobbs Quay in Poole!
Old 12 March 2012, 22:21   #8

Mine went to Holland in 2009 so I expect yours is a different one. Great combo though. You will have a lot of fun.
Old 12 March 2012, 22:51   #9

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Seahawk 3
Make: Parker 6.3
Engine: 1.7 Mercruiser
The slip at Hythe is free, you just have to pay for parking. The only problem with Hythe is the slip is only good for about three quarters of the tidal range. We tend to use it if we're just going for a short trip up the Hamble but otherwise use calshot as its good for the entire tidal range, so one less thing to worry about! C2 is quite right there's no pontoon at calshot but there is a small pier with decent steps which is just as good in my opinion.
Old 16 March 2012, 23:05   #10

Thanks for all of the advice.

A question for Oscarguitar - have you any idea how big the fuel tak was (assuming it is the built-in type), and how much fuel did it use per hour at cruising speed?
Old 19 March 2012, 12:27   #11

I think (guess) the tank was 85 litres or about 20 gallons, but your best bet would be to post the question on the Rib Talk forum here and someone with a 5.6 will chip in. As for consumption, I honestly can't remember as fuel was cheap then, gauges were simple and 100hp doesnt use much if you stay sensible.

Differenty story now!! Fuel costs a bomb and 275hp drinks the stuff. I know exactly what I use as I have an instant consumption readout from the engine guages linked to the GPS. Average 2.4 kn/g. Cruise at 3800 2.7, hammer down - can't bear to look. Sometimes I'd rather not know!!

Enjoy your Ribbing and give us a shout if you are coming to Poole
Old 19 March 2012, 12:31   #12

Happy Days

Picture of one of my lads and a mate "going for it"
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rib.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	66367
Old 19 March 2012, 13:16   #13

Town: Staines, Middx
Boat name: EXisa
Make: Predator 599
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Quote:
Just to introduce myself as a new ribster, having just bought an Avon 560 with a Yam 100 4-stroke. I have done a lot of rag-and-stick boating over the years, but 40+ knots is a bit new to me! At the moment, I am just looking for some good family days out – with wife and teenage son. Might try ringos etc later.

I have lots of questions. I live about as far away for the sea as you can, in rural Bucks. I intend to tow the boat to the Solent, probably starting off launching it from Calshot. Is that a good starting place for a newbie?
I know the Solent quite well from my sailing, but I do not know which beaches, landing points and other good day out facilities are RIB-friendly – any advice?

Are you doing the round IOW this coming Saturday?, i am a newbie also and it looks like a good day out to "break me in"!
Old 19 March 2012, 13:25   #14

Town: Aylesbury
Boat name: Cloud 9
Make: Ribtec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 50hp E-tec
MMSI: 235091208
Quote:

It's nice to see more land locked rib users. I'm just finishing a fairly hard winter of bring my boat upto standard.
Old 19 March 2012, 13:44   #15

Town: Staines, Middx
Boat name: EXisa
Make: Predator 599
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesg514 View Post
It's nice to see more land locked rib users. I'm just finishing a fairly hard winter of bring my boat upto standard.
Coming Saturday?
Old 20 March 2012, 10:51   #16

Great photo Oscarguitar - and thank for the info.

Sibbo90 - I still have some work to do on the trailer, and some kit to get, so I am not quite ready for the water. I was thinking of the Easter weekend for the first trip, but I was going to do something a little less ambitions that round the island for a first run. Need to get confidence in the reliability of the engine first. Oh, and judge the durability of the crew - do not want to put them off on the first day!

Jamesg514 - you are only just up the road from me! I live in Haddenham! Have you had the boat long? Where do you / will you launch from?
Old 20 March 2012, 12:21   #17

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 75
We find Bucklers Hard a fairly relaxed launch (even on bank holidays there are very small queues for launching & recovering) with secure parking for the car & trailer - although it's a bit longer to wander down the river to the Solent.
Old 23 March 2012, 08:46   #18

Town: Aylesbury
Boat name: Cloud 9
Make: Ribtec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 50hp E-tec
MMSI: 235091208
Quote:
Jamesg514 - you are only just up the road from me! I live in Haddenham! Have you had the boat long? Where do you / will you launch from?
I've had the boat (cloud9) just over a year now and spend the whole winter correcting silicone and gasket paste. I live stone end of Aylesbury not far at all the boat stays in Reading most of the time. We launch itchenor nice and flat slipway for the van. As for Saturday work says I have to train a child a baby first aid course instead of play around the iow, spoil sports.

« Evening all | Top | Hello »