Old 10 August 2020, 06:55   #1

Town: Glasgow
Length: 6m +
New Member with the urge for a Camel Trophy Ribtec

Hi All,
Thanks for having me here, long term boat owner, but very new to rib's.

We have a Camel Trophy landrover, so naturally it makes sense when I'm considering a rib purchase to try and find a Camel Ribtec.

I've read some very useful threads, but always open to advice and opinion!

All the best,
Duncan
Old 10 August 2020, 07:09   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I can see why you might want a matching boat but be aware that they were built to a budget, in a rush. Any that are reasonably “complete” still attract a premium price.

Unless you are trying to be a museum, you could get better boat for the same money and have fewer headaches!
Old 10 August 2020, 07:23   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I can see why you might want a matching boat but be aware that they were built to a budget, in a rush. Any that are reasonably “complete” still attract a premium price.

Unless you are trying to be a museum, you could get better boat for the same money and have fewer headaches!
Thanks Poly, I've read every thread on here and completely agree with what you are saying!

That said I guess its not necessarily a choice driven by common sense. Event providence for a Landrover fan is a strong pull, as is resale value. I guess the same argument could be made for the camel truck, but I still love that despite its impracticalities.
Old 10 August 2020, 08:20   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
These are old boats now, apparently issues with internal fuel tanks, heavy and underpowered with Honda 130. They come up from time to time if you're determined to own one. Be prepared to pay a premium purely because it has provenance, and yes you want something that's been restored, so paperwork, receipts and more pictures than your family album.
Old 10 August 2020, 09:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
These are old boats now, apparently issues with internal fuel tanks, heavy and underpowered with Honda 130. They come up from time to time if you're determined to own one. Be prepared to pay a premium purely because it has provenance, and yes you want something that's been restored, so paperwork, receipts and more pictures than your family album.
Thanks Spartacus. Appreciate your advice. From what I can tell I would be into an expensive boat, underpowered, potential fuel tank issues, top heavy if its got the cage etc. Sounds a lot like landrover ownership!
Old 10 August 2020, 17:37   #6

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Yes, as much as I love Defenders having driven them all my life since I was 17 (and have a Series 1 as well, and a Ribtec as it happens), as per the comments above, the Camel Trophy RIB's were never that good in the first place, and many have since been bodged/hacked around, or would need significant work doing. The last few I've seen around have had the big frame and special deck-mounted storage boxes removed anyway, so if you really want it to look 100% genuine, might be quite hard/expensive to find one of the remaining full kitted examples.

I completely appreciate the wish to have a matching pair of Camels, and tow one behind the other, but might just be another money pit! (although saying that, my Defenders were always super reliable).

And depending how original you want it to be, even if you do buy one you'd probably want to re-engine by now anyway if it hasn't already been done, as the original Honda 130 was completely underpowered with all the extra kit onboard.
Old 14 August 2020, 04:49   #7

Well that escalated quickly! I'm now the proud owner of CT1, the French team boat for the event!

She is needing plenty of love and £££'s. The running gear on the trailer needs replaced, the steering is currently off the engine, as is the vapor separator (Long Story!) Once refitted I'll be doing a full service including the belts. Lots to go through and check.

But aside from the cage she's very original with a lovely clean hull, only ever been kept on her trailer. The tubes are faded but serviceable. One owner for the last 19 years.

Fun times ahead, I do love a project
Old 14 August 2020, 07:46   #8

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Good news madrat... you're going into this with your eyes open as they say!

Post up some pictures. The fact it's been with the same owner is fantastic.
Old 14 August 2020, 08:10   #9

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Very nice, congratulations - pics definitely needed!

Tags
rib