Old 20 May 2014, 07:18   #1

Town: Cambridgeshire
Length: 5m +
New member - looking to upsize

Hi

New on here and looking for some advice on upsizing to a 7.5m.

Currently own a 5.75m Ocean (1997 from new) with 120hp Tohatsu, carb adjusted to 140hp. Excellent, heavy duty and very capable boat just a bit small for cross channel trips.

So far looking at:
XS
Humber
and again Ocean for obvious reasons.

Any advice on the above would be great.

Thanks in advance.

G
Old 20 May 2014, 07:43   #2

Town: West Midlands
Boat name: Freespirit
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
Don't forget Ribquest / Redbay

If your looking for vessels to cover distances in comfort don't forget to look at either a redbay or a ribquest as well
Old 20 May 2014, 08:32   #3

From what I can see on their webpage, Ribquest do look like a good boat but cost quite a bit more. I don't see it as being justifiable costing an additional £10-15k.

Redbay also look good but I'm keen to deal with someone that's based in England.

Thanks
Old 20 May 2014, 08:45   #4

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
From what I can see on their webpage, Ribquest do look like a good boat but cost quite a bit more. I don't see it as being justifiable costing an additional £10-15k.

Redbay also look good but I'm keen to deal with someone that's based in England.

Thanks
Are you considering NEW ready available like my http://www.rib.net/forum/f21/parker-...lay-58013.html
or second hand ?
Old 20 May 2014, 08:56   #5

New.

Your boat looks nice but not for me thanks, console needs to be larger and I'm not a fan of bench seats due to their ride.

Thanks all the same
Old 20 May 2014, 12:11   #6

Quote:
New.

Your boat looks nice but not for me thanks, console needs to be larger and I'm not a fan of bench seats due to their ride.

Thanks all the same
New even better as it is then custom built like 100% of our ribs. That particular model the Parker 750RS was built to my specification. It is difficult to satisfy all with an new exhibition rib as not always the colour is ok or deck furniture. PM me your email address and I will send you some drawings & photos.
Let me have a full specification of your requirements and lets see what we come up with.
Please do not be put off that our ribs are made in Poland. We have a very modern production facility where all our moulds and plugs are made in house on a fully auto five axel CMS machine. We not only make ribs but hard boats as well

Do you have in mind outboard or stern drive diesel?

By the way I am based in England
Old 20 May 2014, 12:59   #7

Length: 7m +
Plenty of Cobra 7.5M ribs on second hand market, good family sports ribs.
Old 20 May 2014, 15:12   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
New even better as it is then custom built like 100% of our ribs. That particular model the Parker 750RS was built to my specification. It is difficult to satisfy all with an new exhibition rib as not always the colour is ok or deck furniture. PM me your email address and I will send you some drawings & photos.
Let me have a full specification of your requirements and lets see what we come up with.
Please do not be put off that our ribs are made in Poland. We have a very modern production facility where all our moulds and plugs are made in house on a fully auto five axel CMS machine. We not only make ribs but hard boats as well

Do you have in mind outboard or stern drive diesel?

By the way I am based in England

Hi Andre,

Thanks for your reply but rather than waste your time, it's not something I'd be interested in.
Best of luck with the sale.
Old 20 May 2014, 15:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Plenty of Cobra 7.5M ribs on second hand market, good family sports ribs.
Thanks

True they are a good rib from what I've seen and have not discounted them but for some reason they don't come that high on my list...

Hopefully you can put me right with some comparisons between Cobra and the three I've singled out so far?
Old 20 May 2014, 15:30   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Any idea of a budget , are you going to dry stack, marina berth or trailer the rib, who are your regular passengers children, teenagers etc
Old 20 May 2014, 15:38   #11

Quote:
Hi Andre,

Thanks for your reply but rather than waste your time, it's not something I'd be interested in.
Best of luck with the sale.
I gather you have misunderstood my post. You had already said you were not interested in the 750RS but in a new rib. if you want a brand new one build to your requirements then why not send me your requirements perhaps we can meet them. We do have a large console as well.

So what are you interested in? You started the thread not me. At the end of the day you do not have to buy a Parker it is your choice or are you just a time waster.
Old 20 May 2014, 16:02   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
I gather you have misunderstood my post. You had already said you were not interested in the 750RS but in a new rib. if you want a brand new one build to your requirements then why not send me your requirements perhaps we can meet them. We do have a large console as well.

So what are you interested in? You started the thread not me. At the end of the day you do not have to buy a Parker it is your choice or are you just a time waster.
Hi Andre,

If you had taken the time to look back at my original post and subsequent ones, you'll see that ideally I'm looking for a comparison between the 3 ribs listed at the beginning of the Thread.
1. XS,
2. Humber and,
3. Ocean.

Having said that I am considering other ribs.
However as I have mentioned in a further post; ones that are made and based in the UK. That is primarily the reason why I am not interested in Parker.
My apologies if this offends but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Old 20 May 2014, 16:17   #13

Quote:
Hi Andre,

If you had taken the time to look back at my original post and subsequent ones, you'll see that ideally I'm looking for a comparison between the 3 ribs listed at the beginning of the Thread.
1. XS,
2. Humber and,
3. Ocean.

Having said that I am considering other ribs.
However as I have mentioned in a further post; ones that are made and based in the UK. That is primarily the reason why I am not interested in Parker.
My apologies if this offends but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

No worries it is your money. however for the record your post only said based in England . If you had said made in England or UK I would not have bothered to respond to your post.

from a marketing point of view - What have you got against a Parker ? Do you think it is not suitable for cross channel cruises. Perhaps the workmanship is shabby or poor quality materials are used etc

I am not offended in anyway. I hope you find what you are looking for
Old 20 May 2014, 16:25   #14

Length: 7m +
Guido I think you have missed the point in some of these posts, people are interested in helping you but it's difficult to give a view on specific ribs unless we know what type of activity your interested in, what you might use it for, how many people might be with you, where you might use it etc etc because there is lots of variables which could effect what people might think of those ribs you have specificaly mentioned.

Andre from Parker Ribs is one of the most helpful on this forum and always has time for people in person so I think you may have got off on a wrong footing with him. As to Parker Ribs they are on my top 5 Favourite Ribs list, there is a very nice one in my local marina, just because they are built outside of the UK doesn't mean they are badly built. In fact ask anyone with knwoledge on here and I dont think anyone would say anything negative about Parker Ribs.

There are plenty of people who would say negative things about some british built ribs so the point is you cant just think becuase they are built outside the Uk that they are going to be bad. Unless of course ive got your point wrong in that case my apologies.

Point is there are good and bad built ribs all over the world and good and bad support from manufacturers in equal portions.

If you come up with a decent requirements list then people could help you better.
Old 20 May 2014, 16:27   #15
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Out of the four I know which I'd choose. Parker RIBs are streets ahead of the other three.

Humber and XS are both decent seaworthy boats though, although the attention to detail and finish on the Humbers tends to be a bit basic.

Like others have said, tell us about what you want the boat to do and then people can give you some more useful pointers.
Old 20 May 2014, 16:37   #16

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Out of the four I know which I'd choose. Parker RIBs are streets ahead of the other three.

Humber and XS are both decent seaworthy boats though, although the attention to detail and finish on the Humbers tends to be a bit basic.

Like others have said, tell us about what you want the boat to do and then people can give you some more useful pointers.
I would have to agree with the venerable one on that
Plus You may want to look at Ribcraft...Sports and Pro Range..and there are a few Osprey Fans about too.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2014, 16:43   #17
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
In order of preference:

1. XS - You get what you paid a bit more for.
2. Humber - You get the bit less you paid for.
3. Ocean - You get what you deserve...

For the record (i.e. future Readers) Redbay Boats are based and build their boats in the UK. For Sarf Coasters, they have an agent in Sarfhampton - MRL - and they make a cracking 7.4m
Old 20 May 2014, 18:32   #18
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Andre/John/Maxi/Willk,

I don't think he's looking for anything as refined as your suggestions!
Old 20 May 2014, 18:52   #19
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Andre/John/Maxi/Willk,

I don't think he's looking for anything as refined as your suggestions!
I wasn't suggesting anything P.
Old 20 May 2014, 21:17   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
1. XS - You get what you paid a bit more for.
2. Humber - You get the bit less you paid for.
3. Ocean - You get what you deserve...

For the record (i.e. future Readers) Redbay Boats are based and build their boats in the UK. For Sarf Coasters, they have an agent in Sarfhampton - MRL - and they make a cracking 7.4m
Thank you Willk