Town: Cirencester
Boat name: Whistler/Flying Fish
Make: Avon SR4 / Excel XHD
Length: 4m +
Engine: O/B 50hp / 20hp
MMSI: 232029831/232027528
New Member Introduction

Hello all,

Just about to turn 50 and looking to get more involved with RIB cruising and events around the coastal and inland waters of the U.K.

Wife and daughter have horses so not particularly interested in boating, but I love it. So looking to join up with groups to go boating with. Don’t mind trailing / travelling / camping so anywhere is fine by me. Particularly like the south coast, Solent towards Weymouth especially as that’s where I grew up, but also want to explore further afield. Rather fancy a trip to Lundy at some point.

Anyway, hope to get stuck in and see some of you on the water.

Andrew.
Old 13 December 2019, 19:52   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladonians View Post
Hello all,

Just about to turn 50 and looking to get more involved with RIB cruising and events around the coastal and inland waters of the U.K.

Wife and daughter have horses so not particularly interested in boating, but I love it. So looking to join up with groups to go boating with. Don’t mind trailing / travelling / camping so anywhere is fine by me. Particularly like the south coast, Solent towards Weymouth especially as that’s where I grew up, but also want to explore further afield. Rather fancy a trip to Lundy at some point.

Anyway, hope to get stuck in and see some of you on the water.

Andrew.

Welcome Andrew. If you’re prepared to trail the boat & widen your horizons past the Solent, you’ll find some of the best cruising grounds in Europe.
Head North friend[emoji106]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2019, 20:15   #3

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Plenty of great places to explore to the west too from the channel (Bristol) to the Gower, Tenby, pembs and lots more right round to Tywyn and up to Barmouth fairbourne (while it’s still there) shell island and up to the llyn............

A good 4x4 opens up more launching options but guessing that isn’t an issue if dragging nags about......

Some nice sights to the east too..... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiv...ands_Army_Fort
Old 15 December 2019, 20:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Welcome Andrew. If you’re prepared to trail the boat & widen your horizons past the Solent, you’ll find some of the best cruising grounds in Europe.
Head North friend[emoji106]
HI and thanks for this, I am planning to take the boat to different locations around the UK coasts and also explore some of the tidal rivers and Scottish Lochs.

I will be heading up north, in doing so would be great to meet some RIBers in the process.
Old 15 December 2019, 20:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Plenty of great places to explore to the west too from the channel (Bristol) to the Gower, Tenby, pembs and lots more right round to Tywyn and up to Barmouth fairbourne (while it’s still there) shell island and up to the llyn............

A good 4x4 opens up more launching options but guessing that isn’t an issue if dragging nags about......

Some nice sights to the east too..... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiv...ands_Army_Fort

Thanks for the reply, I have a pal in Cardiff (Llantrisant) who loves the water. From talking to him I want to explore the Gower and Mumbles, and all round the South and West coast of Wales, including the islands.

Yeah for towing I've got a Volvo XC60 4x4 and a Range Rover so no issues there. Funnily enough I actually prefer the Volvo, nicer drive and more comfortable than the RR despite it being a late 2017 model. But the RR is a phenomenal machine just the seats are a bit hard.

Funny you say about the east coast as well, I am keen to take a trip out from the Thames and go to the Red Sands forts. Apparently they are quite a sight. Fancy taking some drone video of them.

One of my main reasons for joining the forum is for exactly these types of recommendations so thanks for this. Also I am hoping, without sounding like a primary school kid, to make some new 'friends' and go on these adventures in groups.
Old 15 December 2019, 20:53   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Go on the 2020 ERR 30-40 boats go on that great weekend
Old 15 December 2019, 21:02   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Go on the 2020 ERR 30-40 boats go on that great weekend
Hi Jeff,

Whats the 2020 ERR? Are there any details of it I can look at, maybe the 2019 one?

Cheers
Old 15 December 2019, 21:12   #8

Yes the Maunsell forts and sealand are well worth visiting. Red sands and shivering sands can easily be reached from clacton

I too have an XC60 but only a FWD....... add freshwater east to the visit list but I’d take the RR just in case.......we had a GL350 stuck the RR and Ranger had no issues the ranger pulled the GL free while it still had the trailer attached (in fairness it wasn’t helped by the road bias tyres or the driver...)

The RR got a 6.5m rib with 140hp outboard off the beach after a couple of attempts

Left my XC in the carpark and hitched a ride in the bed of the ranger....... I also was he only one with a tow rope.... ��
Old 15 December 2019, 21:19   #9

To be fair I would probably use the RR especially going somewhere unfamiliar. Pull anything with it.

Sounds like there is a good range of events and cruises throughout the year, am going to read back through some from this year to get an idea of what to look forward to in 2020.
Old 16 December 2019, 08:13   #10

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladonians View Post
Hi Jeff,

Whats the 2020 ERR? Are there any details of it I can look at, maybe the 2019 one?

Cheers
easedale rib rendezvous on here tony hill, also on youtube going back quite a way if the weather plays ball its a great weekend
Old 16 December 2019, 20:04   #11

Town: Romford Essex UK
Boat name: Sea Fury
Make: Bit of everything
Engine: Mariner 90 & 6
MMSI: 232026082
RIBase
Funny you say about the east coast as well, I am keen to take a trip out from the Thames and go to the Red Sands forts. Apparently they are quite a sight. Fancy taking some drone video of them.

I am planning to do this next year too. I launch at Greenwich and often use the Thames. Looking to do other trips too, such as going round the Isle of Wight.

Just fitting the RIB with a gopro and 360 camera. Also have a mavic2 pro drone.

One of my main reasons for joining the forum is for exactly these types of recommendations so thanks for this. Also I am hoping, without sounding like a primary school kid, to make some new 'friends' and go on these adventures in groups.[/QUOTE]
Old 16 December 2019, 21:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyP View Post

I am planning to do this next year too. I launch at Greenwich and often use the Thames. Looking to do other trips too, such as going round the Isle of Wight.

Just fitting the RIB with a gopro and 360 camera. Also have a mavic2 pro drone.
Did that this year too......

One tip with the 360......... make sure it’s tethered.... they sink fast... ask me how I know.....
Old 17 December 2019, 07:17   #13

Town: Romford Essex UK
Boat name: Sea Fury
Make: Bit of everything
Engine: Mariner 90 & 6
MMSI: 232026082
RIBase
Oh yes.... all will be secured. Where did you launch from to do the forts. We could launch closer than Greewich, but we are looking for a challenge and to see how we cope for future events
Old 17 December 2019, 09:58   #14

I went from gunfleet boat club excellent facilities out to sealand and the forts at shivering sands I think, we could also see see red sands but but didn’t go that far into the Thames

http://www.gunfleetboatingclub.com/
Old 17 December 2019, 15:05   #15

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Welcome to Ribnet
Next Lundy trip I do I'll be in contact....well worth the trip it is too!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote