Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 10 February 2021, 09:14   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Lincolnshire
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin 70s
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11
New member advice

Hi, could I ask your advice please. Iím looking at buying a new Humber Assault rib. Humber have got a few on offer at present and Iím not sure which would suit me best. It would be used predominantly for fishing from Bridlington and no more than 5-6 miles offshore. Mostly I would be on my own but occasionally with one other. I am a fair weather sailor these days. I have the option of keeping the boat at a secure compound which I have done with various other boats but I would prefer the flexibility of towing from home.
I donít want to go too big and Iím thinking of 4.3 or 4.7 models.
I would appreciate your constructive comments.
Many thanks
__________________

__________________
Fallowbuck0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2021, 09:22   #2
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,641
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallowbuck0 View Post
Hi, could I ask your advice please. Iím looking at buying a new Humber Assault rib. Humber have got a few on offer at present and Iím not sure which would suit me best. It would be used predominantly for fishing from Bridlington and no more than 5-6 miles offshore. Mostly I would be on my own but occasionally with one other. I am a fair weather sailor these days. I have the option of keeping the boat at a secure compound which I have done with various other boats but I would prefer the flexibility of towing from home.

I donít want to go too big and Iím thinking of 4.3 or 4.7 models.

I would appreciate your constructive comments.

Many thanks


Will you be beach launching it single handed at south shore?
__________________

__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2021, 10:24   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Lincolnshire
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin 70s
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11
Yes that would be one of the places and probably the main one. I would also look at maybe going Hornsea or Filey.
__________________
Fallowbuck0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2021, 14:29   #4
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,641
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallowbuck0 View Post
Yes that would be one of the places and probably the main one. I would also look at maybe going Hornsea or Filey.


It can be tricky beach launching single handed. We used to launch a 6.4m at South Shore, but we had 4or5 chunky divers to assist. Iíd keep it as small as possible whilst still being big enough to do what you need. If youíre mainly single handed, the 4.3 would be plenty. Humbers have a bit of a mixed reputation, mainly due to them selling partly finished hulls for people to complete at home, therefore the second hand market can have some variable quality examples. Factory finished boats are no-nonsense, no-frills, good value. More importantly for you, they are local, so support should be easier.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2021, 17:28   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Lincolnshire
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin 70s
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11
Many thanks, the boat I was looking at is the 4.3 or 4.7 both are very similar in weight. The ones Iím looking at are hull and consul fitted. Everything else needs to be done. Iíve got a good price for it to be completed by a professional marine engineer. My concern for the 4.3 would be twofold, how would it handle compared to the larger version plus would I have enough room on the 4.3.
I guess Iíll just have to go and have a really good look at them.
Iím now days a fair weather sailor and have had numerous boats over the years but I must admit Iím a little concerned over the reviews some have about the Assault saying it doesnít handle chop very well and is very slammy but others have no problem. I suppose thatís just the way reviews go!
Many thanks for your comments.
__________________
Fallowbuck0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2021, 17:57   #6
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,641
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallowbuck0 View Post
Many thanks, the boat I was looking at is the 4.3 or 4.7 both are very similar in weight. The ones Iím looking at are hull and consul fitted. Everything else needs to be done. Iíve got a good price for it to be completed by a professional marine engineer. My concern for the 4.3 would be twofold, how would it handle compared to the larger version plus would I have enough room on the 4.3.

I guess Iíll just have to go and have a really good look at them.

Iím now days a fair weather sailor and have had numerous boats over the years but I must admit Iím a little concerned over the reviews some have about the Assault saying it doesnít handle chop very well and is very slammy but others have no problem. I suppose thatís just the way reviews go!

Many thanks for your comments.


There was another outfit over your way. It was the son of the guy who setup Tornado. He was around on here for a while, dunno if heís still in the game. Have you considered buying second hand? Youíll get more for your buck & not lose as much if you decide itís not for you, & want to sell it on.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2021, 02:34   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Lincolnshire
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin 70s
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11
I had thought of it but I honestly wouldn’t know which rib make to look at. I know that Humber are a no frills sought of boat and that suits me I don’t want anything frilly if that makes sense. And ideally I don’t really want to go much bigger than a 5m. I’d look at others if I knew which were best if that makes sense.
__________________
Fallowbuck0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2021, 04:15   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
There was another outfit over your way. It was the son of the guy who setup Tornado. He was around on here for a while, dunno if heís still in the game. Have you considered buying second hand? Youíll get more for your buck & not lose as much if you decide itís not for you, & want to sell it on.
The guy who Pikey is talking about is James Millet now at rib retubes part of XS ribs also built near the humber & worth a look I'd stick my neck out & say probably a better boat than a humber & available with pu or csm tubes
__________________
beamishken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2021, 06:20   #9
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,641
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
The guy who Pikey is talking about is James Millet now at rib retubes part of XS ribs also built near the humber & worth a look I'd stick my neck out & say probably a better boat than a humber & available with pu or csm tubes


thatís the one. What was the name of the RIB company he set up? He had a couple of prototypes on here.
Personally Iím not a big fan of Humbers, but they have a loyal following & serve a purpose. They are definitely at the budget end of the UK built boats. Iíd still take one over a dodgy no-name Chinese import though.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2021, 06:23   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
thatís the one. What was the name of the RIB company he set up? He had a couple of prototypes on here.
Personally Iím not a big fan of Humbers, but they have a loyal following & serve a purpose. They are definitely at the budget end of the UK built boats. Iíd still take one over a dodgy no-name Chinese import though.
Kracken! & yeh agree with you fully re humber & Chinese
__________________
beamishken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2021, 13:23   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Lincolnshire
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin 70s
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11
Just like to thank you for your input. Had a chat to James Millet at XS today and he’s quoted a very good price on a 460. They have a 2.2 beam so I’m guessing should be more stable on the drift. From what I’ve read today they come out as a very well made and capable boat so hopefully over next day or so will be placing an order.
Once again many thanks
__________________
Fallowbuck0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2021, 18:01   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallowbuck0 View Post
Just like to thank you for your input. Had a chat to James Millet at XS today and heís quoted a very good price on a 460. They have a 2.2 beam so Iím guessing should be more stable on the drift. From what Iíve read today they come out as a very well made and capable boat so hopefully over next day or so will be placing an order.
Once again many thanks
Do your homework on the tube material they usually offer csm or welded polyurethane at the same price, they tend to push the polyurethane but its a bit of a marmite thing & best left to your own choice. My thoughts are its difficult to say which is best but probably more folk prefer csm so maybe slightly better for resale. Do some homework and make up your own mind good luck with the purchase
__________________
beamishken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2021, 01:47   #13
Member
 
beerbelly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,318
i dont think james is the man behind kracken thats another family member . i have had work done at rib retubes aka xs ribs and you will not regret buying from them a very reliable company
__________________
beerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2021, 03:03   #14
RIBnet supporter
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brixham
Boat name: Jazz
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
you will not regret buying from them a very reliable company
Very much in the minority, but other views are available.
__________________
36valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2021, 03:44   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by 36valley View Post
Very much in the minority, but other views are available.
Perhaps you should elaborate on this, hinting at a problem but not saying what your issue is/was doesn't seem fair.
Our sailing club had an issue with an xs boat at 7 years old, well out of its warranty but xs came through with a very fair solution without any real effort on our part. 2 years later we bought another boat from them all in all I've found them fine to deal with & very fair. Any owners I've spoken to speak highly of their boats.
__________________
beamishken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2021, 05:24   #16
RIBnet supporter
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brixham
Boat name: Jazz
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Perhaps you should elaborate on this, hinting at a problem but not saying what your issue is/was doesn't seem fair.
Our sailing club had an issue with an xs boat at 7 years old, well out of its warranty but xs came through with a very fair solution without any real effort on our part. 2 years later we bought another boat from them all in all I've found them fine to deal with & very fair. Any owners I've spoken to speak highly of their boats.

My reply was an observation on Bearbelly's comment.

I started to write a lengthy reply about my experience, but to be honest I can't be arsed.

If you look at my threads started you can figure out two of them.


Suffice to say my buying experience wasn't a happy one. Subsequent dealings with Laurence have only compounded things and it's fair to say that our opinions of each other are equally low.

But, what I will say is that the boat itself is fantastic. The more I use it the more confidence it inspires. For anybody that needs a tough, safe boat that can handle rough conditions then it's a good choice.

As I said, my experience is in the minority, but still valid just the same.
__________________
36valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2021, 06:25   #17
Hat
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West wales
Boat name: Mannassa
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 90
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 6
My Experience with Laurence lock was very good, he even gave me
advice on a second hand boat I was looking at.Very helpful considering
his company wasn’t making any money out of it.some rib company’s
don’t even give you a reply in my experience.
__________________
Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2021, 11:15   #18
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,641
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 36valley View Post



If you look at my threads started you can figure out two of them.

.

Sorry, canít be arsed
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2021, 11:45   #19
RIBnet supporter
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brixham
Boat name: Jazz
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikey dave View Post
sorry, canít be arsed
.....
__________________
36valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 09:23   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Lincolnshire
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin 70s
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11
Thank everyone for your input. I’ve placed an order for an XS500, hopefully will be ready by end of May.
__________________

__________________
Fallowbuck0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.