Old 14 March 2016, 21:18   #21

Town: dornoch
Length: 4m +
parakarter

i had a futura before i got the aerotec ,i found the futura was great at full power when up on the speed tubes ,but when you hit the rough stuff you have to hold the power on and it is exciting but does not then make it a family friendly boat.it feels more like sitting on a zapcat. the futura had a 40 two stroke on it and was the same length as the aerotec with the 30 but for skiing and general watersports the the aerotech beats it hands down .my wife drives the aerotec when i am skiing and the wee one sits down between the front bow bag and the steering bar out out the wind and quite comfortable ,futura is best on a trailer with gear stored inside the boat ,where i keep the aerotec, engine and skiing gear inside a 5x3 trailer with bikes on top . i would agree with others that you are best getting a good second hand outfit,would also recommend a late two stroke the extra weight of a four stroke drags the back end down and kills the perfomance never mind the damage to your back.i inflate the boat beside the trailer put on the wheels ,reverse boat to box trailer drop engine straight out off trailer on to transom.being a short arse means i have to get wise to lifting and shifting .all food for thought ,happy boating
Old 14 March 2016, 21:47   #22

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Purely as an example of what's out there this SR4 outfit is a new listing, everything you need and probably easy to do a deal at £2.5k and that's a ridiculous amount of fun for very little money:

Avon Searider 4m Sr4m Rib everything you need package | eBay

You could pootle about with the wife /kids on the rivers and inlets and go WOT with a mate to two...

And if you don't find its for you sell on easy for the same money.
Old 14 March 2016, 21:48   #23

Sunsport - how's the Aerotec go with a 30, sounds fun?
Old 14 March 2016, 22:30   #24

Town: dornoch
hi goes very well with the 30 yam but it is propped down for skiing .also feels very safe with the steering up front. wife refused to tow me with the tiller.as she did not like the bow lifting to high . with the right prop i reckon it could be quite scary. does not climb onto the plane but just launches itself up.cheers
Old 14 March 2016, 22:43   #25

Town: bideford
Max I have just been looking at that very sr4 it looks awesome and not two big for me, I am not in a position to buy immediately so I will have to pass on that particular one.

I do think I will get more use out of a sib though I don't know I am even more confused😜

what other options in the rib side are there?

I am just trying to get as much info as possible
Old 14 March 2016, 22:49   #26

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>thinking a Bombard aerotec or what ever it is called sounds like the one for me, Is it worth getting a commando or is the extra farting about not worth the extra performance?

The Bombard Commando is a very heavy rugged more commercial use SIB. It has an alloy inner floor with wooden keel an can take large outboards. Over the top for leisure use really. "Performance" would probably be worse than an Aertotec but if you were carrying a load of divers and their kit then a better boat.

>>> think really I am after a rib proper

If you could work out a way to operate/store the trailer then the sort of thing Max linked would give a huge amount of fun.

>>>would it be wise to buy a used sib and a new engine?

Many of us on here run used engines with great reliability and a secondary factor is the pre-2006 2-strokes are lighter than a new 4-stroke for any given engine size so suit the portability of SIBs... well they have been until very recently. However after 10yrs with used engines I'm just days away from taking delivery of a new Suzuki 20hp 4-stroke which is pretty well the first 4-stroke to get a 20hp down to... give or take... the weight of a 2-stroke. So that's an example of an engine to suit most SIBs around 3.5-3.8m which would fit into your budget if you would get greater reassurance from a new motor.

I see you say three adults inc yourself or two plus three smaller children... that's fine for an Aerotec but you will need 20hp min to make the best of it with that load.
Old 15 March 2016, 06:55   #27

Town: bideford
Hi just browsing again, are the Sunsport sibs any good?

Also other than ebay where are the best places to get a used sib? My google skills leave a bit to be desired.

going to try and sort some storage out and maybe get a single. and a sr4, but I may be dreaming a little!
Old 15 March 2016, 07:47   #28

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Ebay, Boats & Outboards, Gumtree etc. We are just about at the end of the winter sales period where both volume and prices are lower... now easter is on the horizon there should be more come to market.

SunSport are what we'd call a generic Chinese made SIB with similarity to the Honwaves, particularly in the design of their air floor models. They only make up to a 3.5m* and that can only take a 15hp so perhaps a bit minimal for you. A 3.8m Honwave air floor would probably be a better bet.... bit larger... hold it's money more ... take up to 25hp.

*According to their website but larger models are listed on Ebay weirdly.
Old 15 March 2016, 07:55   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytwosheds View Post
Hi just browsing again, are the Sunsport sibs any good?

Also other than ebay where are the best places to get a used sib? My google skills leave a bit to be desired.
Tommy - have you read the sticky? He asks again...! Stick to the big names for re-sale at no loss. Some searching/buying tips in there too.
Old 15 March 2016, 09:42   #30

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytwosheds View Post

I am new to sibling.......

I would like to carry 3 adult men

Long lost brothers?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2016, 09:47   #31

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Long lost brothers?

Now that he's found them, he'd like a boat to take them out in.