Old 07 March 2014, 21:36   #1

Town: santa rosa, ca.
Boat name: Scarlett Towhannson
Make: Rendova
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin merc 90's
My introduction to ribs, a soft transom

Hello. I just bought a rib, couldn't resist. I have always wanted one since being introduced to them in the Coast Guard. It's an 86 avon supersport 4.00, with an 86 Suzuki 40hp. The transom seems soft, the floors need to be rebuilt, glue needs to be redone etc. it's a boat, I will throw money into and overboard. you know how that goes. you guys could tell me more about it I guess. Here are some pics, guide me "o" wise ones. One of the first lessons I have learned... keeping an eye on self inflation due to California heat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140307_125130.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	91860   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140307_143634.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	91868  
Old 07 March 2014, 21:48   #2

Name:	ForumRunner_20140307_144616.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	91869

Name:	ForumRunner_20140307_144713.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	91871
Old 07 March 2014, 21:59   #3

Name:	ForumRunner_20140307_145817.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	91872

Name:	ForumRunner_20140307_145844.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	91873

Name:	ForumRunner_20140307_145902.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	91874

Name:	ForumRunner_20140307_145922.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	91875
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20140307_145938.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	91876  
Old 07 March 2014, 22:02   #4

I will try and make the pictures viewable in the horizontal next time. my apologies. anyway, I am working on the helm station, got some goodies! tomorrow is the floor with marine grade ply, waiting on the glue from Defender.
Old 08 March 2014, 04:51   #5

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Welcome to rib.net

Is that not a SIB? I assume it is Hypalon so the material is going to be pretty tough, although it looks like a few pieces might need replacement. You definitely have your work cut out for you. Keep us informed as you progress.

What do you plan to use the boat for? Mine is mostly used as a dive boat, and the rest of the time to cruise around the SF bay and the ocean, with an occasional lake thrown into the mix (Tahoe excluded having a two stroke).
Old 08 March 2014, 05:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Welcome to rib.net

Is that not a SIB? I assume it is Hypalon so the material is going to be pretty tough, although it looks like a few pieces might need replacement. You definitely have your work cut out for you. Keep us informed as you progress.

What do you plan to use the boat for?
Yes, sib. I call them all ribs, I guess now that I joined rib_net, I will improve my nomenclature. I bought the boat to access some tricky hidden surf spots in and around the sonoma coast. I got the boat really cheap, (I realize, there is nothing more expensive than a cheap boat) , but I am capable, and will do all the upgrades, and refit. So far, looks like I need controls and steering for the Suzuki outboard, various rigging, and glue. Anything you guys think I should do, while the motor is off the transom? Peter c, you are local, that's awesome. Hope to see you out there.
Old 08 March 2014, 06:12   #7

I think you meant, anything to do, while the transom is off the boat? I would recommend sanding and resealing it.

Kelson has his SIB set up with a surf board rack on it.
Old 08 March 2014, 15:20   #8

Quote:
I think you meant, anything to do, while the transom is off the boat? I would recommend sanding and resealing it.

Kelson has his SIB set up with a surf board rack on it.
Actually, I did mean while the motor is off the transom. I was going to do some temp fixes, use the boat sparingly this spring and summer. Just to familiarize myself with the boat. Then, in october, (plenty warm for the glue work) do the repairs needed for the upcoming surf season. complete overhaul of the transom. I understand twice as much work, removing the old glue and etc. Peter c, what do you think? I see in another post you did the job in 40 hours. Do you know of a local place to get marine ply? I am thinking Sausalito or somewhere south of me. trying to find it north of Petaluma.
Old 08 March 2014, 17:51   #9

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Is the transom soft in that you get flex? Like you have rotting wood in there? If so, that's something you want to address before taking it out. Depending on condition, you may have to completely replace the entire thing, or, if it's localized, you could try one of the "rot stop" products (which are usually an epoxy or other resin that gest injected into the rotting areas.) Bracing everything with stainless or aluminum sheet as a sheath may help as well.

If you have the motor off, take a close look inside the bolt holes; those are a primary means of water ingress.

jky
Old 08 March 2014, 19:23   #10

Mead Clark lumber right behind the auto row in Santa Rosa has marine ply. It is expensive, but there are not a lot of options. You will probably have to glue two pieces of one sheet together, than make a rough cut with a jig saw and finish it using a router with a bearing to copy the old transom.

I would not take the boat out in the ocean without knowing the transom and glue are in excellent condition. As you know our coast is unforgiving, and rescue is often not available.
Old 08 March 2014, 19:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Is the transom soft in that you get flex? Like you have rotting wood in there? If so, that's something you want to address before taking it out. Depending on condition, you may have to completely replace the entire thing, or, if it's localized, you could try one of the "rot stop" products (which are usually an epoxy or other resin that gest injected into the rotting areas.) Bracing everything with stainless or aluminum sheet as a sheath may help as well.

If you have the motor off, take a close look inside the bolt holes; those are a primary means of water ingress.

jky
No, not so much flex. just looked bad. The transom ply is delaminating, I am going to reinforce the transom as a matter of safety anyway. That motor is a back breaker for sure! I will do a bit of fiberglassing and epoxy etc. I am skilled in that regard. I also was thinking of a stainless plate sandwich, even after I repair it eventually, can't hurt to have less flex. I am now leaning towards doing it correctly, right away, like now. I just ordered a bunch of 2 part glue, both Clifton, and Polymarine. Warm weather in california.
Old 08 March 2014, 19:32   #12

Quote:
Mead Clark lumber right behind the auto row in Santa Rosa has marine ply. It is expensive, but there are not a lot of options. You will probably have to glue two pieces of one sheet together, than make a rough cut with a jig saw and finish it using a router with a bearing to copy the old transom.

I would not take the boat out in the ocean without knowing the transom and glue are in excellent condition. As you know our coast is unforgiving, and rescue is often not available.
Peter c, good tip about mead clark. I love that place. I'm on the way now.
regarding the transom and unforgiving seas... Salmon Creek is my home break, no worries about drowning. If I were to drown, I would have already about 30 times. I am leaning towards doing the transom correctly asap. I have read a bunch of posts about doing it. Not to bad, just time consuming right?
Old 09 March 2014, 17:38   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-RIBS View Post
Warm weather in california.
I suspect we're in different places called "California".

We're hitting mid 60's during the day - normal, but not what I'd call warm.

Luck with the repair.

jky
Old 09 March 2014, 17:52   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
I suspect we're in different places called "California".

We're hitting mid 60's during the day - normal, but not what I'd call warm.

Luck with the repair.

jky
haha. Sonoma county, I got a sunburn yesterday. going to be 75 tomorrow.
Ok. just got two quarts of Clifton hypalon adhesive, accel. etc. Got a sheet of 3/4" marine ply. (more expensive than I expected.) gallon of Spar varnish. (also. way more expensive than I expected.)

side note: Administrator, would you mind moving this to the "sib" forum? I would like to do a detailed repair/build, maybe more would see it, and could offer help? Thanks.
Old 10 March 2014, 05:10   #15

Might be easier to just start a new thread there.

jky