Old 05 January 2019, 04:13   #1

Town: Exmouth
Length: no boat
Just a quick hello

Hello everyone.
New to the forum, I've been having a good sniff around over the last few days and I must say what a brilliant place this is. I'm currently in the market to buy a new sib and ob and having read through loads of old posts I've made my mind up on the boat and ob size.
I live in Exmouth and have the beautiful east devon coastline on my doorstep as well as the exe estuary so a bit of a no brainier to get a boat and get out there and use it.
Look forward to getting to know like minded people on here and picking your brains from time to time 👍
Cheers
Ted
Old 06 January 2019, 07:50   #2

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Hi and welcome to the forum (I think everyone else must be asleep)
Old 06 January 2019, 07:59   #3

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
hi and welcome do yo know there is another forum more dedicated to sibs where you may even find the craft your looking for .F-Ribs And Sibs - F-Rib and Sib | An online community for ...
https://f-ribsandsibs.com
Old 06 January 2019, 10:57   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum (I think everyone else must be asleep)
Thanks mate👍
Old 06 January 2019, 11:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
hi and welcome do yo know there is another forum more dedicated to sibs where you may even find the craft your looking for .F-Ribs And Sibs - F-Rib and Sib | An online community for ...
https://f-ribsandsibs.com
Cheers for that, I'll take a look👍. I'm keen to get a new one tbh, I know I'll loose money instantly but I enjoy looking after my stuff and I'll be gutted if I bought a lemon.
Old 06 January 2019, 13:36   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Ted welcome to the forum. It can be a little sleepy in this odd first week or two post Christmas/New Year period but as you will have seen in checking out older posts there is a huge amount of experience and help to be had here.

We had two weeks in Shaldon the other year and had a drift about off Exmouth entrance but didn't venture further in as we were time sensitive getting back before the tide turning at the Teignmouth entrance which as I'm sure you know can get lively.

Great part of the world to be based anyway.

What type of boating will you be doing... family leisure... fishing... expeditions?

And I wonder what you are thinking of getting in terms of size/make and outboard etc... we may be able to offer more specific advice to suit your needs and budget.

David
Old 06 January 2019, 15:12   #7

Hi Fenlander.
Yes I can imagine that the Teign-mouth can get a bit gnarly at certain tides, Exmouth is similar, lots of water to pass through quite a narrow bottle neck as the tide drops and the sandbars appear, I've seen little sibs with 4hp's barely making headway on bigger spring tides. It's like rapids for the last 2 hrs of the ebb, especially if there's an easterly blow. But it is a fantastic base for sure
I'll be using my sib for fishing mainly, mostly solo, with a bit of cruising around and sight seeing.
I've pretty much decided on a honwave t32 with a 15hp honda ob. They seem to be a very liked boat by newbies and experienced boaters alike and the 15 will be both safe and fun��
Old 06 January 2019, 15:55   #8

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Hello ted yep a bit slow after new year but all should be throwing thier opinions in as you ask good choice of set up enjoy.
Old 06 January 2019, 16:19   #9

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Hi and welcome.

The only (hopefully helpful) comments I would make is to choose a fuel injection motor and to consider 20hp if your budget allows and the boat is rated for one as they are usually the same weight to carry.
Old 06 January 2019, 16:27   #10

The Honwave makes a great start to an outfit when buying new. They are such good value compared to Zodiac if you did find the need to upgrade quicker than expected you lose very little selling a mint one on.

Will it be just you or you +1? If you +2 or more a T38 might be better for a bit more room. Many folks who start with a T32 upgrade to a T38 eventually.

Re OB a good sound choice but had you considered the 20hp version (as LimeCC mentions) is the same OB basically except the HP so you'll be lifting as much as a 20... perhaps worth the 20hp for the extra £300 or so?? Of course the T32 is rated to 15hp so it would push you a bit towards the T38.

Are you going to trailer the outfit or daily set up?
Old 06 January 2019, 18:06   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Hello ted yep a bit slow after new year but all should be throwing thier opinions in as you ask good choice of set up enjoy.
Cheers bud, yeah the more the merrier, I'm still open to advice from people in the know
Old 06 January 2019, 18:09   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Hi and welcome.

The only (hopefully helpful) comments I would make is to choose a fuel injection motor and to consider 20hp if your budget allows and the boat is rated for one as they are usually the same weight to carry.
Hello and thanks.. not sure if the Honda is fuel injected or carbs still, I'll have to check. I do like the brand though, I've had a few hondas in my time but not ob's..the t32 is 15 max.
Old 06 January 2019, 18:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
The Honwave makes a great start to an outfit when buying new. They are such good value compared to Zodiac if you did find the need to upgrade quicker than expected you lose very little selling a mint one on.

Will it be just you or you +1? If you +2 or more a T38 might be better for a bit more room. Many folks who start with a T32 upgrade to a T38 eventually.

Re OB a good sound choice but had you considered the 20hp version (as LimeCC mentions) is the same OB basically except the HP so you'll be lifting as much as a 20... perhaps worth the 20hp for the extra £300 or so?? Of course the T32 is rated to 15hp so it would push you a bit towards the T38.

It'll be just me for the majority of the time, certainly whilst fishing from the boat (there's no way I'd let my 2 fishing buddies anywhere near the boat with hooks on the line) but we will use the boat to get to some of the secluded coves and bays that I know and then fish from the shore. I'd be setting up daily unless I find it easy enough to bench press the thing onto my van roof rack as I do my 2.5 man sit on yak..
Old 06 January 2019, 18:21   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post

It'll be just me for the majority of the time, certainly whilst fishing from the boat (there's no way I'd let my 2 fishing buddies anywhere near the boat with hooks on the line) but we will use the boat to get to some of the secluded coves and bays that I know. I'd be setting up daily unless I find it easy enough to bench press the thing onto my van roof rack as I do my 2.5 man sit on yak..
Old 06 January 2019, 20:28   #15

The Honda OB is carb. Most of the others are moving to fuel injection. Choice depends on how much you trust... or perhaps distrust modern tech on an OB.

The T32 is a very capable SIB for its size but if you are going to be ferrying three of you with kit then it will be snug. The T38 is more bulky but only 8kg more.
Old 07 January 2019, 05:34   #16

Yep totally hear what you're saying, it'll just be me aboard 95% of the time, I was going to go for a 9.9hp ob originally but decided to increase budget slightly to get the 15hp.
Im in no massive rush as we're only just about to hit winter weather so I probably won't get it ordered for acouple of months yet. Bridger marine stocks all honwave models so I'll pop up and have a look at them in the flesh at some point soon. R.e. the ob, I think I'd prefer to stick to carbs if im honest, probably a less refined way of fueling but much more simple to work on for when warranty expires. I've just got my van back from the garage as 2 injectors failed.. £1600 later so im probably a bit biased.
Old 07 January 2019, 09:44   #17

If it was always just you the T32 with a 9.9hp would make a perfectly good outfit and be very easy to handle shoreside. But the moment you took two mates out performance would be pretty poor so 15hp+ wise decision.

Re the carb thing I chose efi when I bought a new 20hp Suzuki almost three years ago... and I'd buy efi again if I was getting another 15/20hp.

But as a matter of factual reporting that efi Suzuki had a problem with fuel contamination on last year's holiday which stopped it completely and needed a two day stay at the dealers... had it been a carb it would just have spluttered but still limped along and could have been DIY sorted with a basic toolkit.
Old 07 January 2019, 13:01   #18

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassHunterTed View Post
Yep totally hear what you're saying, it'll just be me aboard 95% of the time, I was going to go for a 9.9hp ob originally but decided to increase budget slightly to get the 15hp.
Im in no massive rush as we're only just about to hit winter weather so I probably won't get it ordered for acouple of months yet. Bridger marine stocks all honwave models so I'll pop up and have a look at them in the flesh at some point soon. R.e. the ob, I think I'd prefer to stick to carbs if im honest, probably a less refined way of fueling but much more simple to work on for when warranty expires. I've just got my van back from the garage as 2 injectors failed.. £1600 later so im probably a bit biased.
i think it's a sensible way to look at the engine IMO simple always works. boat wise having a look is always best and if the 15 wont plane with your mates on a 3.2 it might be worth looking at the 3.8 as david says for room it will still perform for you only with the 15 but with that added benefit from size/room good luck with your choice.
Old 08 January 2019, 06:19   #19

Thanks gents and yes the more I think about it due to your advise the 3.8 makes more sense and im sure I can cope with the slight weight increase, im youngish and pretty strong due to my trade. Looks like this ever increasing budget is going to get bigger, may need to book in a load more private work to offset this a bit lol.
Old 08 January 2019, 06:21   #20

The thing that put me off the 3.8 initially was the stories I've read about floor issues causing cavitation/prop slip. Is this something that I should be worried about?