Old 21 March 2020, 16:17   #1

Town: Roselle
Boat name: no boat yet
Make: no boat yet
Length: no boat
Engine: no engine yet
I'm a New Boater seeking a Mentor and advice

My name is Chaddaine Cunningham and i was born in Jamaica but now i live in the USA where i'm currently a student.

I joined rib net because of my newly found Love for boating and fishing. I want to buy a SIB before i buy anything more expensive as this is my first boat and i am very inexperienced. I only know what i researched in the past few weeks so a boating mentor would be very much appreciated.

In the medium price range i need a good quality inflatable fishing boat, electric trolling motor and battery, canopy, battery charger and all the necessaries. I will be fishing in saltwater, a good distance from land but not too far away. My Budget is $1,500 give or take.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 22 March 2020, 11:21   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Chad has PM'd me a couple of times but I can't really help as I have no idea of brand availability or used prices in the USA. Anyone over there have any ideas? He is now thinking a petrol outboard better which for power, range and cost is true.
Old 22 March 2020, 15:42   #3

Town: New Jersey
Make: 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar
Chad,

Welcome. Where are you located?

$1500 is a tight budget for a decent sib and an outboard, but it can be done. I would look at CL and FB marketplace for used tenders (dingys) as a package deal. I think you'll find a better deal if buying the boat and motor together.

If you want a smaller boat, any brand of small 10ft (3m) people use as dingys can be found. I'd get the newest boat you can, as the cheap PVC boats don't last more than maybe 10 years. Things start coming unglued. You can push these with approx an 8hp, and should plane with just you on board. 2 people prob won't plane.

If you want a little larger boat 12ft (3.5m ish) you should look for an older zodiac or avon in Hypalon, not PVC. These will be heavier duty, but will need more hp. At least 15hp. If I was getting a 12-13ft boat, I'd put a 20hp on it. A 14ft boat, I'd step up to 25hp.

You can't really go offshore with an electric trolling motor. You certainly can't plane. You should get an older 2 stroke motor- as opposed to a newer 4 stroke. Way more torque for the size and weight. It'll be louder and have some smoke but it is definitely the best choice for your budget.
Old 22 March 2020, 16:32   #4

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
In addition to the great advice above remember. A 10 year old boat that has lives his life in a shed and one that’s been outside have very different life spans.
And perhaps someone with more knowledge can chime in here but pvc boats have two kinds of seams. Glued and welded. I have always presumed the welded seems last as long as the boat fabric. But the glues seems are what fail as they age.
Can anyone with actual experience with old pvc boats confirm or correct this glued vs welded lifespan?
Old 24 March 2020, 13:01   #5

Town: New Jersey
Make: 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar
My most relevant experience to that- I had an early 90's zodiac yacht line 310. The PVC tubes were welded at all the air holding seams and showed no signs of coming loose. However, all of the attachments to the hull and transom were coming unglued. Definitely a different manufacturing process than the welding.

So, the tubes themselves were fine but the hull attachment strips were toast..