Old 01 July 2013, 08:03   #1

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
Hi - new RIB question

Hi, can anyone tell me what qualification(s) I need to use my RIB in Corsica / Sardinia / South of France.

I will be keeping my RIB there and wondered if I can do a course here that will satisfy the local authorities. I dont speak French well enough to do one locally.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 01 July 2013, 09:25   #2

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Engine: Inboard
If you are resident in the UK you can register the boat on the SSR (Part 3 Registration) and avoid all those pesky French requirements for training. This is perfectly legal and the way 1000's of boats in the Med are registered.

While I have regularly been asked for registration and insurance papers in France and Spain, I have never been asked for my own competence certificates while under UK flag.

However, I would advise that you at least gain an International Certificate of Competence (ICC) from an RYA training center.

Sorry, my knowledge of local registration is sketchy so dont know about French laws if you dont have a UK address.
Old 01 July 2013, 10:36   #3

RIBase
Cheers for the info, I am based in the UK, so I can register it here. But Ive not bought one yet !

Ive been looking, but all the RIB's I see here so far are not the style Im looking for. While in Corsica Ive seen lots of the style I want. Im after a more cruiser type (sun shade, teak decking, table for dinner), rather than something you would race across the North Sea.

I may end up having to buy one out there as it will be kitted for the climate / sea I inted to use it in.

So if I do that, will I be able to register it here in the UK ?

Cheers.
Old 01 July 2013, 11:33   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
Cheers for the info, I am based in the UK, so I can register it here. But Ive not bought one yet !

Ive been looking, but all the RIB's I see here so far are not the style Im looking for. While in Corsica Ive seen lots of the style I want. Im after a more cruiser type (sun shade, teak decking, table for dinner), rather than something you would race across the North Sea.

I may end up having to buy one out there as it will be kitted for the climate / sea I inted to use it in.

So if I do that, will I be able to register it here in the UK ?

Cheers.
You can register a used one no problem at all, the only issue may be de-registering it from France.

I would suggest that if you buy a French registered boat you make it part of the deal that the owner removes it from French registration before you complete the deal, especially if you dont have a good understanding of the language.
Old 01 July 2013, 13:11   #5

RIBase
Good point. I need to have a look into the whole registration / insurance side. Unless of course I find the type of boat I want here in the UK.

Supposing I buy one in France, get it removed from the French registration, as you suggest - then register it in the UK, does it have to be physically in the UK to register it ? Or is it just paperwork ?

Thanks.
Old 01 July 2013, 13:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
Good point. I need to have a look into the whole registration / insurance side. Unless of course I find the type of boat I want here in the UK.

Supposing I buy one in France, get it removed from the French registration, as you suggest - then register it in the UK, does it have to be physically in the UK to register it ? Or is it just paperwork ?

Thanks.
Nope, boat can be anywhere. Registration is online, takes 10 mins and costs £25. You will need the HIN, LOA and name, that's about it.

Link :

https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/ssr/ssr/

Med layout boats are difficult to find. The beauty of a Rib is that you can customise it. If you find a rib with the right seating and console adding teak floor (Go fake -its not as hot in the sun), Bimini and tables are all easy and relatively cheap upgrades.
Old 01 July 2013, 14:01   #7

RIBase
Brilliant - thanks for that.

Now I just need to find what Im looking for..........................
Old 01 July 2013, 19:58   #8

Town: Copenhagen
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp OB
The boat can be anywhere , but for SSR I think you need to be a UK resident. If you are not a UK resident for tax purposes then you have to do a part 1 registration. In terms of insurance I think most of the bigger UK insurers or brokers will happily insure you wherever you boat (within reason) . I also think that being British registered does not exempt you from ICC requirements in some countries - check with RYA! And if you import a boat to France lol into trailer registration , in most EU countries the trailer is a vehicle in its own right and so there is some paperwork and cost involved !
Old 01 July 2013, 20:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore288 View Post
And if you import a boat to France lol into trailer registration , in most EU countries the trailer is a vehicle in its own right and so there is some paperwork and cost involved !
This only applies if you are towing with a car that is not registered in UK.

As long as you are towing a UK trailer with a UK car there is no requirement for trailer registration.
Old 01 July 2013, 21:05   #10

Town: Copenhagen
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp OB
Yes true sorry, I assumed you were not keeping a boat in that part of the world and driving it with UK plates and tow car!
Old 02 July 2013, 11:32   #11

RIBase
Cheers for all the info, to clarify: I will keep my RIB in Corsica but may buy one here and trailer it over using my UK registered vehicle. I am a UK resident.

I will keep looking for what I want, but it may end up with me getting a basic hull and customising it to suit.

Tags
rib