Old 11 July 2015, 22:38   #1

Town: Hayling Island
Length: 5m +
Hi from Hayling Island

Hi all,

Looking at getting my first RIB - want a good seaboat which will plane at 20 odd knots and max out around 30. Boat to be used for general mayhem and pottering about. Had a 232 Rinker before but don't need it to overnight anymore - plus the v8 petrol was.....cough....cough not cheap to run!!

Got a couple in mind but want to pick your brains on recommended power to length ratio. For example a 5.2m 930kg RIB is a 50hp 4 stroke enough grunt?

Looking at a Humber 5m with a 60 Mariner 4 stroke, 5.2m Stingray with a 50 Honda 4 stroke and a Zodiac 4.8 with a 75HP 2 stroke (Carbs)

What advice would you give?

Cheers in advance
Old 11 July 2015, 23:04   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Welcome to RIBnet. Without any other info, I'm liking that Humber combo - but the Devil is in the detail
Old 11 July 2015, 23:32   #3

Thanks WillK

The Stingray is 2011 5.2m - do you think a 50HP Honda 4 Stroke is a bit light on power? Shes a bit of a beaut of a boat with nice center console, bench and forward seats. No patches. £8k

The Zodiac (c. 2005) is also a good looking boat with a 75HP Merc 2 stroke. but not too sure about 2 strokes tbh. More reliable probably quicker out of the hole but more fuel and bloody noisy. If it was a DI it would be spot on. Nice console with a 3 seat bench with forward seats. Some minor patches. £6k

The Humber is a 2001 boat, with red tubes with a 2004 Mariner 4 Stroke. Pretty good tubes. Hull is ok but a bit rough around the edges. A frame and single jockey seat (will need to add a bench). £5k

Leaning toward the Stingray atm
Old 25 July 2015, 11:02   #4

Well I bought one.....

5.0 Apex with a Merc 115hp 4 stroke. She needs a little work which is in hand (new prop, separator install and trim overhaul). Got a quirky throttle which I am getting used to.

Overall very happy with her tbh, less so with the trailer which badly needs an overhaul.

Been out on her early this morning. First impressions she handles very well, gets out of the hole very quickly and cruises on the plane at 2k revs. Very good sea boat out in the chop.

Are there any clubs around the Solent?