Old 24 July 2019, 08:34   #21

Town: Long Sutton
Boat name: Kavango
Make: Excel Volante
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF15A
Sorry forgot to ask do I require any permit for the River Glen?

Cheers
Old 24 July 2019, 08:38   #22

Sorry just looked, I see I would need to register, its the part I have not researched yet.

Cheers
Old 24 July 2019, 08:44   #23

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
The Craftinsure tidal mooring restriction has not been a problem for us for nearly a decade but a slight change in the way we've used our SIB has caused us to get them to extend to including moored on tidal waters for an extra £38.

You have to think when will you be leaving it unattended on tidal waters, for many years we never did.
Old 24 July 2019, 08:49   #24

You will see the Glen/Welland yearly registration fee is a stupid £161 for your SIB... I just get daily permits when using the Ouse which are £9.80 (same as Welland/Glen) as the Ouse would be £323 a year..
Old 24 July 2019, 09:09   #25

Hell I've just seen this re the Suzuki...

>>>taking pride of place on the dining room table at the moment!

>>>My missus wouldn't be able to carry it at all

"On" the dining room table!!! I reckon if she could lift it then it wouldn't be there much longer.
Old 24 July 2019, 09:20   #26

Haha well it was either there or between us in bed. The salt and pepper pots fit just nicely between the prop and cavitation plate (if I have the terminology correct)!

So with these registration fees is that something that can be sorted on the day/ week before say depending on where you are going or is it all a ball ache, I would like to go to different places so a yearly fee would be pointless as I see it. Say River Wye one month, local say the Glen like you suggested, lake district etc, can I sort when I am there????

I owe you a pint!
Old 24 July 2019, 10:00   #27

With the Environment agency that manage Welland. Glen, Nene, Ouse etc they are quite helpful on day passes. Phone them up and they will take the £9.80 debit card payment then e.mail you the day permit which I print and laminate... but if you can see mails on your phone then just show them the screen if challenged. I've never been asked in a lifetime of smallcraft river use. They do take the numbers often as you pass through a manned lock so will ask if it's not visible.

One Sunday am we decided at short notice to get on the river when the EA offices were closed so I went on their website, printed off the form and put that in the post with a cheque for the £9.80. Not only were they OK with that they phoned to make sure I'd managed to get out and if not they'd have applied the payment to a future day.
Old 24 July 2019, 18:48   #28

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Well engine on the table or in bed she's a keeper for sure noodle

Re the dog get a lifejacket for it it has a big handle on the back easy to pull it in without hurting the dog
Old 24 July 2019, 19:19   #29

Hi Jeff yeah I've got one for her but with just one handle she's just too heavy......but not as heavy as me as you can see. Will do a test run in the shallows but I'm not convinced about the buckles, the lead attachment has already snapped off. I'm thinking of 2 wide straps around her belly aswell so 2 can grab hold and haul her in. Belts and braces and all that.

Should have got a Chihuahua.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180708_132311.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	130203   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180529_155020.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	130204  
Old 24 July 2019, 20:09   #30

RIBase
My lab (Harry ) is 48 kg his £20 jacket works ok you can buy a dog ramp but it takes up room in the boat best is to keep a short lead clipped on not easy I know but you know how it is it's all about them. Just thought Barnet marine use to sell a man overboard cradle basically it hangs in the water clipped to the boat with floats on the other side you swim in the loop the floats are pulled in and the man/ dog rolls in £135 last I looked but you could make one easily.
Old 26 July 2019, 08:02   #31

Hi Jeff

Cheers for the advice will take a look.
Old 20 August 2019, 13:57   #32

Hi all,

So i made my first trip out in the boat!!

I'd hammered fleabay and music magpie for books read the forum a lot and bought all the gear I reckoned i needed, got insurance and ssr.

Took the boat with us on a touring holiday and first place where I could it was when we stayed in the pyreenees, drove over to the med coast, used boatlaunch to find a slip, the first area was a bit rough looking so moved onto the next, after half hour trying to talk french with a guy at the slip gave up and drove to the next which wss ages away. We all laughed about it because we expected it! Drove past somewhere looking promising but couldnt find the damn slip ended up in a village where people were walking around butt naked, oldies naked on mobility scooters will haunt me forever. Was feeling dejected but carried on ended up at a tourism office and success!!! A free slip and parking at port leucate north of Perpignan. It was now 2pm and we had set off at 8!

Got the boat launched hassle free, motor started fine, killed the engine accidentally in amongst the yachts just moving on my seat but got going again on second pull after realising wasnt in neutral!! Got out into the open water and was really slow sounding like it was cavitating and a feeling of it was coming out of gear, adjusted the trim and weight distribution - still shocking, made a few videos of the sound to ask on here. Now you guys know straight away what stupid mistake i had made but it just didn't cross my mind. We just pottered about and then PING!!! "you've left the wheels down you stupid #%##%$$.!!! "

Lifted the wheels and bingo!!!! We laughed at ourselves for ages after, well at me really. But after that we all absolutely loved it, spent hours all having a go and felt ok to take it out onto the sea for real as there was lots of boats and jetskis out, didnt go far out but had a fantastic time. Was getting a bit of splash didnt try different trims at this point tho as we were so happy it was all working ok.

Had difficulty getting the wheels to lock back down and when we pulled the boat out the lugs on the legs were not in the brackets properly so need to look at that. Had a nice duck meal in the restaurant at the marina and got home at half ten.

Mission accomplished!!!!

Thanks all for your help, much appreciated!!
Old 20 August 2019, 20:28   #33

RIBase
Cracking noodle made me laugh you leaving the undercarriage down we all do stuff like this a least you had a good time have many more.
Old 20 August 2019, 22:20   #34

>>>Mission accomplished!!!!

Indeed... well done and thanks for reporting back.