Town: cheshire
Boat name: Dingy
Make: Waveco
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard petrol 1.3h
Hi

Hi all
We were just looking for some advice
We have a small dingy with 2 .3 outboard wanted to use in Cornwall as we are here for a week . Can anyone suggest anywhere we could visit, put it in water ?
Thanks in advance
Old 17 June 2019, 08:51   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hello and welcome to the forum.

What area are you staying in?
Old 17 June 2019, 08:53   #3

Hayle just by the harbour
Old 17 June 2019, 09:07   #4

Sadly I only know the south coast but looking at the chart that looks a difficult place to operate a boat with drying shallows and sandbanks.

For your size SIB with a 2.3 I'd be looking at a quiet estuary to potter about particularly if you are inexperienced. Weather plays such a part... you could nip up to St.Ives on a wind free sunny day, launch at the harbour just before high tide and have a great potter about for an hour or so and wonder why I was cautious. But if the weather was bad or turned when you were out it could get very difficult.

Would you consider going the 20mls to Falmouth area?
Old 17 June 2019, 09:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum.

What area are you staying in?
We are in hayle but willing to travel we have a van .
Old 17 June 2019, 09:23   #6

We are willing to travel south . We have been round the falmouth one last year in another boat. It was nice .
Old 17 June 2019, 09:31   #7

You might be interested in this thread where the St.Ives area vs Falmouth was discussed...

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/sibing-...ips-80582.html
Old 17 June 2019, 15:27   #8

Town: always under way
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Sadly I only know the south coast but looking at the chart that looks a difficult place to operate a boat with drying shallows and sandbanks.

For your size SIB with a 2.3 I'd be looking at a quiet estuary to potter about particularly if you are inexperienced. Weather plays such a part... you could nip up to St.Ives on a wind free sunny day, launch at the harbour just before high tide and have a great potter about for an hour or so and wonder why I was cautious. But if the weather was bad or turned when you were out it could get very difficult.

Would you consider going the 20mls to Falmouth area?

Hayle Bar = yikes!
Old 17 June 2019, 15:27   #9

Rather than Hayle I'd stick to the sheltered south coast. Helford river has some lovely little quays and there will be put in's at Gweek if you ask in the yards there.
Brain dump follows:

You have most of the Fal and Carrick Roads to explore. There are two slips on the north bank in Truro which won't be crowded. You could spend a week in a squidgy doing this area alone. Maybe explore up to Ruan Lanihorne and the pub, it's very shoal near the top end so might have to wade/turn back but that's what creek pottering is about.
Devoran could be a destination (pub just up the hill).
Don't forget the Pandora Inn up Restronguet Creek as it has it's own pontoon!
Feeling brave and don't mind mud....perhaps you could punt your way on a rising tide up to the Norway Inn at Perranoworthal.

Moving on to Fowey, Lerryn is lovely and I think there's a slip near the pub. You might try your hand to get up to Lostwithiel.

There's so much to do, but as always with the British Coast access to slips can be problematic with everything from narrow access roads through to no parking when you get there.

A good Google Earthing (plus better imagery on Bing maps with their OS layer too) will yield lots of possibilities but many will be private.

Don't forget there is a public slip in Falmouth. Mylor marina are very helpful people and they have a slip but I imagine in holiday time the access will be madness.

Hope this helps.
Old 17 June 2019, 16:14   #10

>>>Moving on to Fowey

I wasn't sure how far Digger would want to travel but if he was willing to do the 42mls to Fowey that would be a great SIB outing.

I'd head to the Caffa Mill car park at PL23 1DF where there is a decent size easy to use concrete slipway and loads of space to set up. If it is busy in that car park just drop off your gear (or do a crafty set up which won't take long with a 3m) and move the van to the less busy unsurfaced car park 200m back up the road you came down.

You can explore up river and if you catch the tide right visit the Fisherman's Arms at Golant.

All the following places can be visited at any tide state...

Just a little up river from Caffa Mill over to the Penmarlam pontoon at Mixtow Pill to the café there.

Down river there is the pontoon at Berrills Yard where the lifeboat is moored. Great meals at the Crab Shack at the top of the pontoon and RNLI shed/shop to visit.

A little further down is the Albert Quay pontoon where you can visit the whole town with loads of shops and eateries.

A bit further towards the sea cross river to Polruan where there's another great pontoon and at the top the Lugger Inn.

Fowey Harbour map here...

https://www.foweyharbour.co.uk/harbour-map

Couple of pics attached. Caffa Mill slipways, large one is the ferry and public one adj. Pontoon at Mixtow Pill, café in trees at top of slip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Caffa Mill 3 slipways.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	129822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moored near cafe.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	129823  
Old 17 June 2019, 16:35   #11

Quote:
>>>Moving on to Fowey

I wasn't sure how far Digger would want to travel but if he was willing to do the 42mls to Fowey that would be a great SIB outing.

I'd head to the Caffa Mill car park at PL23 1DF where there is a decent size easy to use concrete slipway and loads of space to set up. If it is busy in that car park just drop off your gear (or do a crafty set up which won't take long with a 3m) and move the van to the less busy unsurfaced car park 200m back up the road you came down.

You can explore up river and if you catch the tide right visit the Fisherman's Arms at Golant.

All the following places can be visited at any tide state...

Just a little up river from Caffa Mill over to the Penmarlam pontoon at Mixtow Pill to the café there.

Down river there is the pontoon at Berrills Yard where the lifeboat is moored. Great meals at the Crab Shack at the top of the pontoon and RNLI shed/shop to visit.

A little further down is the Albert Quay pontoon where you can visit the whole town with loads of shops and eateries.

A bit further towards the sea cross river to Polruan where there's another great pontoon and at the top the Lugger Inn.

Fowey Harbour map here...

https://www.foweyharbour.co.uk/harbour-map

Couple of pics attached. Caffa Mill slipways, large one is the ferry and public one adj. Pontoon at Mixtow Pill, café in trees at top of slip.

Ha ha I actually meant for them to drive to Fowey and put the boat in there. However yes a dinghy trip from Truro to Fowey would win a Shackleton Award. NOT THAT I AM SUGGESTING DOING THIS!
Old 17 June 2019, 16:54   #12

>>>I wasn't sure how far Digger would want to travel but if he was willing to do the 42mls to Fowey that would be a great SIB outing.

No, no , no... not go there in the SIB!

Use of commas perhaps lacking. Take the van to Fowey Caffa Mill and SIB in safety.
Old 17 June 2019, 17:00   #13

Quote:
>>>I wasn't sure how far Digger would want to travel but if he was willing to do the 42mls to Fowey that would be a great SIB outing.

No, no , no... not go there in the SIB!

Use of commas perhaps lacking. Take the van to Fowey Caffa Mill and SIB in safety.

Send Three and fourpence we're going to a dance!

Snigger...what are we like! I have visions of a bedraggled dinghy owner standing in a pub in Fowey having just done the small boat equivalent of rounding The Horn. We're all dry having turned up in our cars and as he drips on the bar he says woefully "but I thought you said.......".
Old 17 June 2019, 17:11   #14

>>>Send Three and fourpence we're going to a dance!

Now I wonder how many others remember that?
Old 17 June 2019, 19:22   #15

>>>I have visions of a bedraggled dinghy owner standing in a pub in Fowey having just done the small boat equivalent of rounding The Horn.

Made me think of this...

Old 17 June 2019, 19:32   #16

Ha ha I've not seen that one. Don't you just love a pub that's like The Slaughtered Lamb - open the door, walk in and the whole place stops..................

Stick to the road lads...................awoooooooooooo

I've suddenly gone all funny thinking about Jenny Agutter in a nurses uniform.