Old 29 April 2020, 05:08   #1

Town: Hilton Head Island
Length: 3m +
Hey Y'all! Beginner here and got the boating bug bad

Hey folks - glad I found this forum because I am having a hell of a time researching my first boat.

I live on Hilton Head Island in South Carolina and after really grinding out the surfing and SUPboarding the last 5 years I never really thought boating was within my financial reach. To my surprise I probably could have had a boat much sooner! These tender inflatables are much more affordable and capable than I imagined.

From my initial research I have my eyes on the Zodiac Cadet Aluminum 310 2019 model (save a little $$) - 10ft pvc boat with sectioned aluminum deck.(I believe that makes it like a middle ground between an air floor and true rigged bottom) Ive seen videos of the longer version (350) planing with a 9.9hp and Max hp 15 for the 310 so I was thinking of going with a 9.9hp

Main uses would be dolphin/bald eagle/nature watching, exploring all the little tidal waters surrounding the island - and once in a while dropping some crab pots and island hoping through the coastal marsh canals to maybe do some camping

Alright ill save it for the subject forums - but thats why I am here and Glad to be here! if you have any initial advice feel free to share!

Hilton Head Matt
Old 29 April 2020, 11:05   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi Matt and welcome to the forum.

I had to Google your home area... looks an interesting area for using a SIB... alligators and all!

I'll leave any specific boat discussion to questions you ask in a new thread but in short a 3.1m Cadet with 9.9hp will get you about fine as long as your people/kit load is modest.

David
Old 29 April 2020, 15:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Hi Matt and welcome to the forum.

I had to Google your home area... looks an interesting area for using a SIB... alligators and all!

I'll leave any specific boat discussion to questions you ask in a new thread but in short a 3.1m Cadet with 9.9hp will get you about fine as long as your people/kit load is modest.

David
Thanks David! I am glad you checked it out - yes miles of marshes surrounding the islands with a maze of coastal channels to explore longer distances without being to exposed to open waters. And indeed, very interesting to see the gators, we also have great whites/hammer heads/tigers and bull sharks in the deeper water. A lively ecosystem

Very much appreciated again, looking forward to diving into to sub categories after work here and posting some questions. Cheers!
Old 29 April 2020, 17:00   #4

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
If budget permits better go for a tad larger Sib or Rib, say 340 Mtr up with a min 9.9 HP motor. Same motor will push/plane better a tad larger inflatable due to less hull drag than a shorter one. Also consider more available deck space is a must have specially if will be boating for hours. If in USA check Saturn Inflatables, better priced and roomier than a 310 Zodiac Cadet..

Happy Boating
Old 29 April 2020, 18:10   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Hi Matt welcome

We use a zodiac zoom 310 at work it gets plenty of abuse and in six years still going strong. My advise would be go to 3.5 m ish if carrying pots the 9.9 will be ok but consider a 15 if budget allows around 5 kg heaver might need the extra power to carry all those lobsters home. Achillies boats are a very good make too, always consider a secondhand rig also
Old 29 April 2020, 23:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
If budget permits better go for a tad larger Sib or Rib, say 340 Mtr up with a min 9.9 HP motor. Same motor will push/plane better a tad larger inflatable due to less hull drag than a shorter one. Also consider more available deck space is a must have specially if will be boating for hours. If in USA check Saturn Inflatables, better priced and roomier than a 310 Zodiac Cadet..

Happy Boating
Thanks Loco! I do like the saving some money especially for the first boat and that might allow me to spend a little more on a 15hp motor also. But I only see one model of saturn with aluminum floors and I figured that I need a rigid floor to help with the shallow water exploring as well as standing stability. The Alu floor saturn is about 3 meters as well but doesn't have the inflatable Vish hull that the zodiac has.

Def worth checking out as I could probably save up to 1,000 bucks if I went with a similar Saturn SIB without the aluminum

Thanks again, cheers!
Old 29 April 2020, 23:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Hi Matt welcome

We use a zodiac zoom 310 at work it gets plenty of abuse and in six years still going strong. My advise would be go to 3.5 m ish if carrying pots the 9.9 will be ok but consider a 15 if budget allows around 5 kg heaver might need the extra power to carry all those lobsters home. Achillies boats are a very good make too, always consider a secondhand rig also
Thanks Jeff, much appreciated! I am indeed torn between a 310 and a 350. The pots I have are smaller and collapsible so I don't think gear space is my main concern as I will mostly be solo exploring. However I have seen some people say it is easier to plane in a 350 and there are some more open stretches I will have to navigate to reach my protected water exploring destinations.

Gonna go dig into the forums - cheers!
Old 30 April 2020, 03:54   #8

Alright well at least I think one decision has been made thanks to the forum! Tohatsu 15hp 4stk baby! Its a bit more than the 9.9 in price but i figured you can't really put a price on the sea breeze blowing through your hair as higher speeds haha

And if well maintained these outboards should have a decent life eh?

https://onlineoutboards.com/collecti...outboard-motor