Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIBnet Community Forums > Say Hello | New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 23 May 2020, 23:36   #1

Town: Woods hole
Boat name: Naushon
Make: DIB
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 150hp
Hey All! What level of hell did I get myself into? Help please...

https://www.facebook.com/chrislangos/media_set?set=a.10219940370491535&type=3[/URL]

Yeah, so not only am I an idiot about my boat, I am clueless of how to post photos without just attaching them. I don't own a website, so the only way I know how to create a photo to view with a URL is through facebook, or some other social media. I hope you can access these photos. F***!

I recently purchased this RIB from the Newport, RI. Fire Department. The tubes were replaced by Demaree Inflatable Boats, DIB approximately 5 years ago. The gray portions of the tubes cleaned up beautifully! However, everywhere there is white, no matter what I used, including just water and a soft non-abrasive sponge it turned the white to Red, and the "mold" will not go away.

What do I need to do to restore the white part of the tubes? I'm at my wits end, and any advice will be appreciated. Cheers!

Chris
Old 24 May 2020, 07:15   #2

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Have you tried something like "Rib Revive" and a "Magic Sponge" ?
Old 24 May 2020, 10:33   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Here's your pictures Chris.

Few threads on this topic ranging from Smuffex, Cilit Bang Mildew Remover to TFR (traffic film remover). With all wear gloves, most of these products are irritants when exposed to skin.

Looks like the fire department must have covered this RIB after use with no air circulating, it's quite bad. Worst case scenario, get some Tuolene solvent. Now go easy with is stuff as it will weaken and remove glue, but you could try engrained areas if all else fails. Wash down with warm water and mild soap detergent afterwards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0489.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	133228   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0488.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	133229   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0487.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	133230   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0486.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	133231  
Old 24 May 2020, 12:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
Have you tried something like "Rib Revive" and a "Magic Sponge" ?
Hey Dry Run,

I've tried the Magic Eraser, a 50/50 mix of bleach and water, a degreaser, and just a mild soapy water with a non-abrasive sponge. Thank you for taking your time to help. ~ Chris
Old 24 May 2020, 12:41   #5

Hey Spartacus,

I've actually tried a mild solvent, Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK). It was recommended to clean the area where I affixed my registration numbers. Even a dish soap and water turns it red. I'm at a loss, and considering painting it.
Old 24 May 2020, 14:06   #6

Town: New Ross
Boat name: SIRIUS
Make: Ribcraft 4.8M
Engine: 60HP Mariner EFi
MMSI: 250 005566
RIBase
Rib cleaning kit for Rib and inflatable boats
Mate of mine has just used this on his rib, comes up a treat
Old 24 May 2020, 16:17   #7

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFD Rescue View Post
I've actually tried a mild solvent, Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK). It was recommended to clean the area where I affixed my registration numbers. Even a dish soap and water turns it red. I'm at a loss, and considering painting it.
Painting it should be a last resort. As mentioned, try some of these products like Shmuffex made by Blue Marine.

Was reading this on a US forum and like the idea of creating a paste with Arm & Hammer baking soda and bleach applied with a short bristle brush to work into the hypalon. I think the key is to keep the product on it to have any sort of effect, say an hour or so. You can dampen down again with a fine spray then use a bristle brush to agitate and finally rinse. Stick to one confined area to see if it does anything. http://www.clubsearay.com/index.php?...hypalon.82809/

Anyway, I hope you get it sorted.
Old 24 May 2020, 17:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Painting it should be a last resort. As mentioned, try some of these products like Shmuffex made by Blue Marine.

Was reading this on a US forum and like the idea of creating a paste with Arm & Hammer baking soda and bleach applied with a short bristle brush to work into the hypalon. I think the key is to keep the product on it to have any sort of effect, say an hour or so. You can dampen down again with a fine spray then use a bristle brush to agitate and finally rinse. Stick to one confined area to see if it does anything. https://www.clubsearay.com/index.php...hypalon.82809/

Anyway, I hope you get it sorted.
I'll check the link. I had a buddy suggest that the tubes were originally Red. ugh. Thank you for your ideas and sympathy! It's a work in progress and I'll post more photos when I sort this out. Good news, it was sinking a week ago, so I fixed that. ugh
Old 25 May 2020, 17:23   #9

Town: St. Petersburg FL
Boat name: no name
Make: zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: out
The battle with mold

Let me say this first. I currently don't own a RIB or SIB but I have in the past. I work in the mold remedation business.
First mold needs moisture! Don't feed it! Keep it dry, dry, dry! If you can keep it in and enclosed space with a dehumidifier even better. If this mold got into the material from the exterior you can dry it out, kill it, and remove it with a brush. Chlorine does not kill the roots! You need something like Microban or Benzarid.
Second if the moisture thats feeding the mold is inside the tubes, thats the worst case scenario! And in that case what your seeing is the roots of the mold and impossible to kill from the exterior. I don't know how you would get the moisture out from inside the tubes. Maybe someone on here has that answer.
Hope this helps!