Old 26 February 2014, 21:18   #1

Town: Santa Cruz, CA
Boat name: Ginger
Make: Zodiac Mark II
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 40hp
Hello from Santa Cruz, CA

Hi! I just got my first RIB, a 2005 Zodiac Mark II and can't wait to get going on my new hobby!
Old 27 February 2014, 00:43   #2
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
Welcome. There are a couple guys up in you're area and I'm sure they'll chime in soon. This as very helpful bunch - in many cases, better answers here than on other boat sites!
Old 27 February 2014, 03:24   #3

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Welcome to Rib.net

Where do you plan on taking your boat out at? Many of us from the West Coast of Cali, are scuba divers and have our boats setup for that purpose. Although I occasionally use mine to go hiking at Angel Island or tour around the localish lakes. We have many excellent experiences diving and enjoying the marine life around Monterey and Carmel. Nothing like seeing hundreds of dolphins and many whales.

So what motor do you have? Are you going to trailer your boat?

FWIW your boat is a SIB as it has a soft bottom, with maybe a hard ali deck, as my Zodiac SIB has.
Old 27 February 2014, 15:37   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Hi, Ninjah;

I'm in Oakland, but generally run out of Monterey for diving (which is where I know Pete from.)

I've personally never launched out of the small boat harbor in Santa Cruz, but a buddy of mine used to (he liked the idea of running across Monterey Bay for diving, then running back to his truck - at least until he got caught by weather a couple of times.)

Enjoy;

jky
Old 13 May 2014, 05:04   #5

Hey Guys. Thanks for the feedback. I'm just getting started this season with my new toy and have lots to learn. I haven't taken it out in the ocean yet but plan to this summer. I live about a mile from the harbor so it should be fun. I'm actually from Oakland so I'm tempted to get out in the bay some day soon.
Old 13 May 2014, 05:11   #6

Peter,

I've considered going out to Angel Island but wasn't sure how safe it would be to leave it docked there while hiking or camping. Have you left yours on those docks for an extended period of time?
Old 13 May 2014, 06:27   #7

We visit Angel Island fairly often. You do have to pay the State Park fee of $15 or use a State Park pass. I photo copied my park pass per the Ranger, and carry my actual pass with me on the hike. Of course I leave my expensive electronics in the boat, but one can not put them in their pocket.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/another...and-51142.html

I prefer to park on the backside of the docks bow facing out towards the Bay. I also use a couple of the cheap lifejackets as fenders.

BTW I am interested in exploring the East Bay by boat, so if you find anywhere to go let me know. Actually I am game to check out most anywhere interesting.
Old 13 May 2014, 14:37   #8

Thanks for the info. Looks like there's a spot for me right there! I'll let you know as I get our more if I find anywhere notable. The levels this year are already a problem. Went all the way out to Los Banos creek last weekend and they closed the ramp, the night before! 10 hours before I got there AFTER calling the day ahead...
Old 14 May 2014, 15:13   #9

California lakes are likely going to be a problem this summer. Even if the ramps are usable, the low water levels will have normally submerged obstacles less submerged.

Ninjah; if you're in Oakland, I'd suggest the Estuary as a starting point; launch either at the Oakland Aquatic Center (near 5th St) or the Grand Ave ramp in Alameda (east end of Grand.) Both are free, both parking and launching. Nice calm water (comparatively - can get choppy if the wind is up),and offers open access to the SF Bay if you feel adventurous.

jky
Old 15 May 2014, 03:46   #10
E63

Boat name: SPD 330E
Make: Achilles
Welcome! Fellow Bay Area (Alameda) resident...

Anybody have any recommendations for decent lakes within about an hour driving distance of the Bay Area?
Old 15 May 2014, 06:11   #11

Lake Pacific? Just pick your days carefully

This is taken with Stinson Beach in the background. We were able to drive right up to the rocky shore and drive between rocks that normally would have would have destroyed our boats. There wasn't even enough surf to play at Duxbury Reef by Bolinas. You might also notice my friend is only wearing a t-shirt, considering we were averaging 18+mph, it was a very warm day too.

There are a few good lakes around with Lake Sonoma being very nice, although a little over an hour away. Berryessa is HUGE, and can get rough in the middle. The Delta has 1,000 miles of waterways and a physical map and or chartplotter are handy to have. Then of course there is Lake Don Pedro, and others in the Foothills. Coyote Lake, Anderson Lake, and many others I am probably missing. Monterey offers excellent boating too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_ABC7380.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	94661  
Old 15 May 2014, 15:49   #12

Quote:
Anybody have any recommendations for decent lakes within about an hour driving distance of the Bay Area?
Are you looking for calm, freshwater, or fish?

Calm, I'd suggest the delta or the Estuary.

Freshwater or freshwater fish you'll be looking at lakes, but with low levels this summer, this may be a problem. To answer your question, though, Del Valle, San Pablo Reservoir, Berryessa, Don Pedro, Anderson Reservoir, San Luis Reservoir, Lake Sonoma, and Camanche are all possibilities (some further than others, and I'm sure I missed some.)

Don't be too scared of the ocean; on calm days it's great boating. Even on not so calm days it's usually really good (though the bigger it gets the more you need to know what you and your boat are capable of dealing with.)

jky
Old 17 May 2014, 03:46   #13
E63

Boat name: SPD 330E
Make: Achilles
Thanks for the suggestions! Will primarily be in the estuary as the ramp for that is a few minutes from my home, but will definitely check out some of those reservoirs this summer in case I feel like jumping in for a swim at some point!
Old 19 June 2014, 10:47   #14

Town: southbourne uk
Boat name: pacific safety
Make: pacicfic 22
Length: 10m +
Engine: inboard 140hp deisel
Hi Guys

Sounds like you have some great fun out there any room for a limey?

Bob at Bournemouth UK
Old 19 June 2014, 14:13   #15

California has lots of room. :-)

Of course it also has quite a few places you'd probably want to stay out of, too.

jky
Old 19 June 2014, 15:27   #16

Town: southbourne uk
Boat name: pacific safety
Make: pacicfic 22
Length: 10m +
Engine: inboard 140hp deisel
Good to know.
Its a long way to drive a rib even if it is powerful.
Keep in touch nice to hear from you

Bob
Old 19 June 2014, 17:21   #17

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
Welcome from a fellow newbie and a fellow zodiac owner. Paul in Nottingham England.
Old 06 December 2014, 06:28   #18

Hey all, been a bit since I've been on but wanted to check back in after a great summer and fall with my SIB. Thanks for all the tips. I was able to get out as much as I could, although the lake levels made for some pretty tough boat in "shore" camping! Most recently I went out off the SC harbor, not a great day fishing but did get one 100 plus ponder, see attached! Lesson learned (use pliers!). Had to throw the dam Canary flavor rockfish back too....

Cheers,

J

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1417850814.028021.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	101420
Old 06 December 2014, 19:55   #19

Ouch! I have been in the ER before and seen a guy with a fishing hook clear thru, which makes it easy to remove. Yours doesn't look easy to remove.

Lake Englebright, part of the Yuba River, is a hydro reservoir and therefore only varies 3 feet or so over the day and refills at night. The shore campsites are very nice too. If you like crabbing and ocean fishing Tomalas Bay has boat in campsites and is a nice place to visit. Watch the bar though if you head out as it has flipped many boats. Of course being the ocean it is tidal and you either need to pull your boat way up on shore, or anchor it out and wade/swim in, or use the easier approach of an anchor system setup to keep the boat offshore.
Old 06 December 2014, 21:34   #20

Town: San Francisco Bay
Boat name: SRMN 600
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 90
Hey, better the thumb than the tube right?

So how do you like the new boat? Glad to see you are enjoying the Zodiac. Post up some more action pics. I'm up in the SF Bay and want to try to make it down to Santa Cruz/Monterey along the coast.