Old 30 September 2015, 16:56   #1

Town: Strichen
Length: 3m +
Hello from North East Scotland

Hi Folks,

My name is Dave, I'm a 47 year old Photographer who is a keen fisherman and has a SOT Kayak at present but is struggling with the amount of space, comfort and ease of moving around the vessel, not to mention developing arms like Popeye!!!

Plan is to look at getting an Inflatable Dingy & small outboard....I believe they are known as SIB's and can only assume that stands for Small Inflatable Boat?

I am fully kitted out with Palm Sea kayaking clothing, although have only been a loch and river user up to present, I will be taking the SRC course getting myself a submersible VHF radio and hoping to get a SIB around 3M with a 5,6 or 6HP engine.

Any advice, tips hints are most welcome......and if any forum users live my way, please give me a shout.

Dave
Old 30 September 2015, 17:04   #2

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Welcome to Ribnet!
Plenty of Jocks on board a lot with SIBs....so you'll be right at Home

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2015, 17:27   #3

Haha, Don't fall in to that trap though Maximus.....I didn't say i was Scottish But thank you for the Welcome mate.
Old 30 September 2015, 19:28   #4

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
An imposter!
Old 30 September 2015, 19:50   #5

Town: dornoch
Length: 4m +
sunsport

depends where you plan on using the outfit and how you planning transporting it.i have a aerotech 380 air floor and 20 hp but it feels small in the sea north of you. this size of outfit either needs to be on, or folded in a trailer. will fit in car but 50kg engine is a hard lift on your own . personally i would not use anything less than 3.4m and a minimum of 10hp . in boats this small it is speed that gets you home to safety, before the weather changes .happy boating
Old 30 September 2015, 19:56   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberdeen Dave View Post
...I believe they are known as SIB's and can only assume that stands for Small Inflatable Boat?
SOFT Inflatable Boat (as opposed to Rigid Inflatable Boat) - their appears to be some debate on the etymology but I like to claim that it was invented here by the one and only Keith (from even further North than you!) Hart.
Old 01 October 2015, 06:22   #7

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Welcome to the forum Dave.

There's not a huge North-east sib and rib contingent up here, but the more the merrier.
Old 01 October 2015, 06:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
An imposter!
lol....something like that. East London/Essex born and bread, moved to Aberdeenshire 13 years ago for a 6 month contract, fell in love and never went back!!
Old 01 October 2015, 06:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Welcome to the forum Dave.

There's not a huge North-east sib and rib contingent up here, but the more the merrier.
Where you from Spart??
Old 01 October 2015, 07:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsport View Post
depends where you plan on using the outfit and how you planning transporting it. I have a aerotech 380 air floor and 20 hp but it feels small in the sea north of you. this size of outfit either needs to be on, or folded in a trailer. will fit in car but 50kg engine is a hard lift on your own . personally i would not use anything less than 3.4m and a minimum of 10hp . in boats this small it is speed that gets you home to safety, before the weather changes .happy boating
Thanks for the feedback So.....Just probably looking to go out no more than a mile, probably not even that much, just want to get my rods in and have a bit more space to move about that i currently have on the Kayak. Certainly would not be going out in more that a 0.5m waves which does limit me some what living on the North East coast of Scotland as it does chop up on a fairly regular basis.

The advantage i have is that i can kind of book my work round when i want down time as I'm a professional Photographer.

I was looking at around a 3M with a 4, 5, 6hp engine.
Old 01 October 2015, 07:58   #11

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberdeen Dave View Post
I was looking at around a 3M with a 4, 5, 6hp engine.

Aye, that's what they all say..it's a slippery slope😄

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2015, 09:20   #12

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Welcome Dave. As is traditional I'll ask if you've seen the "which SIB" sticky thread in the inflatable section. Have a good look through and then post some queries in that forum specific to your needs/use.

Sunsport's comments are very valid... as is Pikey Dave's above.

Will you be inflating the SIB for each outing? Have you read the air-floor vs wood/alloy floor debate. New or used? Approx budget? Any existing brand loyalty?

As an example have a look at beerbelly's outfit which he's been using for fishing....

http://www.rib.net/forum/f21/honwave...age-69619.html

Bigger motor than you were thinking but that's no bad thing.
Old 01 October 2015, 09:59   #13

Cheers Fender....I will have a good look at the SIB sticky for some pointers. I'm on a budget so cant go to big and to be honest, only want to get out far enough for some Mac's and maybe codling's ect. I will also be using it on lochs and bigger rivers.
Old 01 October 2015, 13:14   #14

Town: Montrose
Boat name: Ruby Blue
Make: Honwave & SW4800cc
Engine: Mariner 15 & 60efi
RIBase
Hi Dave, I'm from Kent (Canterbury) originally, now living near Montrose. Welcome to the fold. I have a Honwave 3.8IE (airfloor) with a 9.8 Parsun 4 stroke, goes well enough for me and is quite nippy one up. I venture out +/- 1.5 miles in the right conditions. I also have a Smartwave XL4800 with a 60efi on the tail for longer trips in more comfort. If you want to see my set up and have a run out so you have an idea what would suit you, send me a PM and we can arrange it.
Old 01 October 2015, 16:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by warder54 View Post
Hi Dave, I'm from Kent (Canterbury) originally, now living near Montrose. Welcome to the fold. I have a Honwave 3.8IE (airfloor) with a 9.8 Parsun 4 stroke, goes well enough for me and is quite nippy one up. I venture out +/- 1.5 miles in the right conditions. I also have a Smartwave XL4800 with a 60efi on the tail for longer trips in more comfort. If you want to see my set up and have a run out so you have an idea what would suit you, send me a PM and we can arrange it.
I would love to take you up on that offer Warder.....I'm a Photographer so never no what I'm doing from one week to the next but if you are free one weekend or even during the week for a blast that would be fab. we can sort it out on PM if that's ok?