Old 04 February 2021, 11:50   #1

Town: Manchester
Length: 4m +
Hello and advice re new RIB for sport and leisure

Hello all, and apologies for tapping you for advice on my first day!

I am looking to spend up to £40k for a new RIB mainly for wakeboarding but also seaworthy for pottering around the Anglesey coast cruising, sighseeing, taking photos and possibly even fishing and not worrying about getting back safely and comfortably if the weather turns. My present Fletcher 15 is fine for flat water but dodgy in chop or swell.

We are looking at Grand 580 and Brig Navigator 570 fully specced. Mainly on aesthetics quite honestly but many of the other brands do look a bit industrial.

Based on past experience it is only going to get a few dozen outings a year at most and most or all of these will at least start with nice weather and low chop.

My first question to you guys of vastly more experience is this; am I going to regret these boats and are there better alternatives? By "regret" I mean either due to quality/warranty issues on the one hand or due to seaworthiness issues in unforeseen moderate to rough weather?

My second question is, should we also (or instead) look at Highfield SP 560 sport? The dealer is slightly more local but hull is aluminium and living on Anglesey I have a morbid fear of anything metal.

Thank you all in advance.

s5urf
Old 04 February 2021, 14:07   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by s5urf View Post
Hello all, and apologies for tapping you for advice on my first day!

I am looking to spend up to £40k for a new RIB mainly for wakeboarding but also seaworthy for pottering around the Anglesey coast cruising, sighseeing, taking photos and possibly even fishing and not worrying about getting back safely and comfortably if the weather turns. My present Fletcher 15 is fine for flat water but dodgy in chop or swell.

We are looking at Grand 580 and Brig Navigator 570 fully specced. Mainly on aesthetics quite honestly but many of the other brands do look a bit industrial.

Based on past experience it is only going to get a few dozen outings a year at most and most or all of these will at least start with nice weather and low chop.

My first question to you guys of vastly more experience is this; am I going to regret these boats and are there better alternatives? By "regret" I mean either due to quality/warranty issues on the one hand or due to seaworthiness issues in unforeseen moderate to rough weather?

My second question is, should we also (or instead) look at Highfield SP 560 sport? The dealer is slightly more local but hull is aluminium and living on Anglesey I have a morbid fear of anything metal.

Thank you all in advance.

s5urf

Personally speaking, and this is absolutely just my personal opinion. If I was going to chuck £40k of my hard earned at a RIB, non of those you’ve mentioned would be on the list. I’d be going for something home grown. Boats tend to be built to suit the local conditions, Anglesey can be challenging in places.
Ultimately it’s your money & choice. The boats on your list will be ok, but you could do better. Also look at resale values, if you decide that RIBs ain’t for you, UK built boats tend to hold their money better. I understand the “industrial” reservations, but that can be for a reason.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2021, 14:37   #3

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
If you are looking for something that has a good reputation re sea worthiness and less industrial have a look at cobra ribs. Never been on one myself but comments on here have been largely positive
Old 04 February 2021, 14:57   #4

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Hi and welcome.

Bigger boats discussed, but this thread may be of interest to you:
https://www.rib.net/forum/f8/help-br...ine-84902.html
Old 04 February 2021, 20:35   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick View Post
If you are looking for something that has a good reputation re sea worthiness and less industrial have a look at cobra ribs. Never been on one myself but comments on here have been largely positive

I definitely agree with looking at Cobra, we had one for years and it was excellent, Ribeye based in Dartmouth have always looked good as well on the leisure side.
With any of these makes, 40k may be better for a good second hand boat.
Old 04 February 2021, 23:27   #6

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
Hello and advice re new RIB for sport and leisure

Hi there - good luck on your hunt and whatever you do dont rush the purchase

We are probably going to have another interrupted year and a year in which access or numbers are going to busy in the times which are ok to go out

With PD on this one - you say you wish to have a boat which gets you back when you need to get back but in a way which keeps your family and friends happy to do it all again ie safe and comfortable

I have seen some brands on the more leisure side being used and then not used because when transiting on the coast chop/head seas/wet hulls etc puts off family and friends quicker than the idea of a life at sea

I was extremely worried about this point - I am very happy on the water and have been for years but I knew my chances of more leisure time with less confident water users is down to them enjoying it in less than ideal conditions (the other half). Getting a boat which can be enjoyed so you can enjoy your purchase and have lots of fun including the less ideal days will mean its more likely you will have more fun and more days on the water because others are happy also

There are some excellent hulls out there which can make days in less than excellent conditions both more comfortable and critically dry than maybe other more blingy boats

Hope the search goes well!
Old 05 February 2021, 11:48   #7

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
As others have said, plenty to choose from, but like cars - make sure it's designed for what you need it for, no point driving a land rover round a F1 track if speed's your thing!

Can you get to a couple of the planned events such as the Pasty Run or the Solent Lifeboat Blast? They'll be a range of boats on show a these events (including my new Highfield Patrol hopefully) and people will be more then happy to show of their style, design and fit out.

For me it'll be a case of draw up a list of requirements then see what boats will do what you need.

Highfield, XS, Humber, Rib Eye, Rib Craft, Cobra, Delta will all supply the basics of what you want but it's understandings eating, engines, storage and the like.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2021, 12:24   #8

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Around £40k would buy you a nice used / newish branded RIB ( as pointed out already the likes of a Cobra, Rib-eye, Stingher etc ), I would always choose this option over a 'budget' brand, every time. The majority of deprecation on the used boat has mostly been and gone, the longevity, resale and user experience would also be far superior to the other option - All IMHO

https://www.parker-adams.co.uk/ribs-for-sale/ will give you a idea of what £40k will buy you used, good luck
Old 05 February 2021, 12:56   #9
Hat

Town: West wales
Boat name: Mannassa
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 90
For 40k you could get a nice Ribcraft or 6m Xs with delta seats,not overly industrial and very
Seaworthy
Old 06 February 2021, 08:29   #10

Thank you for your response, I hear what you say and appreciate your input
Old 06 February 2021, 08:29   #11

noted, will take a look at Cobra, thank you
Old 06 February 2021, 08:30   #12

Thanks for your response, and yes that thread was definitely helpful
Old 06 February 2021, 08:31   #13

thanks - I think you are right, those brands do seem to be more expensive than budget new for what we need
Old 06 February 2021, 08:33   #14

Thanks for your thoughts! Whatever we get is going to be a significant step up in less idyllc weather than the Fletcher I've had and used for 14 years, so it is more a question of how big that step is!!
Old 06 February 2021, 08:36   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
As others have said, plenty to choose from, but like cars - make sure it's designed for what you need it for, no point driving a land rover round a F1 track if speed's your thing!

Can you get to a couple of the planned events such as the Pasty Run or the Solent Lifeboat Blast? They'll be a range of boats on show a these events (including my new Highfield Patrol hopefully) and people will be more then happy to show of their style, design and fit out.

For me it'll be a case of draw up a list of requirements then see what boats will do what you need.

Highfield, XS, Humber, Rib Eye, Rib Craft, Cobra, Delta will all supply the basics of what you want but it's understandings eating, engines, storage and the like.
Thanks for your comments. Must admit from the little I know I am surprised that you've mentioned (eg) Highfield but not Grand or Brig - is there a specific reason for that
Old 06 February 2021, 08:45   #16

All - clearly I don't know my way around the software here, tried to reply individually to each of you but then part way through realised that it wasn't working. So suffice to say thank you to each of you individually for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it. We have not yet made a decision and still enquiring and pondering but it is worth saying that if I were buying a RIB for daily use in all weathers then priorities would be different from a fair weather family and friend leisure and wakeboard boat. As with most things in life with a limited budget it is ultimately a question of where to compromise and in that respect we are all different. WHatever I end up with it will work better for us than the current Fletcher which we've nonetheless had many days of fun with over the years! THanks again to veryone who took the time to respond
Old 06 February 2021, 08:58   #17

RIBase
Quote:
Thanks for your comments. Must admit from the little I know I am surprised that you've mentioned (eg) Highfield but not Grand or Brig - is there a specific reason for that
I can't comment on a Grand as not even seen one around here let alone play. I do like the look of some of the Brig models and was looking at the 5.7 and 6.1 before the Highfield. Didn't miss it on purpose from the list - that list is long if every brand that would do what you wanted was added - I've listed my preferred, not all available.

Your budget would get you the same boat I have coming (https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...f135-xu/250991) or a very capable 6m Ribcraft or XS which is probably the direction to start looking.

A visit to one of the meet ups would be perfect for you too see how people design their layouts as that's key to comfort and usability and to it not looking like a commercial boat.

You mentioned the Highfield Sport 5.6 - this will have a good hull and there are a number of on line reviews on the model but as yet I've not seen one in the flesh, the Patrol version is a boat that's capable and will do what you need so I don't see why the Sport model wouldn't too. It's a person thing and for me the Sport looks a bit too gin and tonic with canapes and not pint of cider with pasties

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...00-xrtu/328050

Old 06 February 2021, 09:08   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
I can't comment on a Grand as not even seen one around here let alone play. I do like the look of some of the Brig models and was looking at the 5.7 and 6.1 before the Highfield. Didn't miss it on purpose from the list - that list is long if every brand that would do what you wanted was added - I've listed my preferred, not all available.

Your budget would get you the same boat I have coming (https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...f135-xu/250991) or a very capable 6m Ribcraft or XS which is probably the direction to start looking.

A visit to one of the meet ups would be perfect for you too see how people design their layouts as that's key to comfort and usability.
thank you - we do have a local Highfield dealer so that is a plus and I can enquire - I had thought Ribcraft or XS fell outside our budget if new but will take a look, cheers
Old 06 February 2021, 09:24   #19

RIBase
Quote:
thank you - we do have a local Highfield dealer so that is a plus and I can enquire - I had thought Ribcraft or XS fell outside our budget if new but will take a look, cheers
The XS sport is around your budget - https://www.xs-ribs.co.uk/pricing-pdf-dowloads/

having a local dealer will make a big difference, be worth speaking to them about a Patrol or Sport sea trial as soon as lockdown allows

Tags
rib