Old 07 October 2013, 14:37   #1

Length: 3m +
Hello all the way from Hong Kong

Only started getting interested in getting out on the water beginning of this year when I moved into a village house next to the sea. My dad used to take me fishing in Campbell River and northern Vancouver Island in Canada when I was a kid, moved to Hong Kong after I finished university.

Found this website after searching for info on inflatable boats which fits my needs perfectly; light enough to carry around, and I can keep the outboard locked up at my house when not in use.

My first purchase was a Sea Eagle Paddleski. Fantastic little boat, carried my wife and I on a few adventures. But in the end I found it too small and under powered (I was using a Suzuki DF2.5).

And when I found out after I paid $$$ for shipping all the way from the US that it was Made In China... I decided to move onto a bigger one and buy factory direct since I'm at China's door step in Hong Kong. And I got this 3.6m inflatable catamaran with air deck from a factory there. Traded in my 2.5hp to a 4hp 4stroke at a steep loss (4hp is the max I can go in Hong Kong with a special operator license).

Inflatable catamaran Hong Kong nam she wan sharp peak 1 - YouTube

Then just my luck, 2 months after getting the cat and deciding my back would thank me if I just chained the boat down by the shore near my house, we got struck with a major typhoon this summer. The D rings where I chained it to were all torn off and the boat was found 20 meters away. Decided to use the excuse to change boats again, now I'm waiting for another inflatable cat but with 3.3m this time with an aluminum floor and fiberglass bow and "speed tubes" under the two pontoons; I was told this exactly something like a zapcat. Except I will be powering it with a 4hp.... I just use it as a day trip thing to get to some fantastic beaches nearby; don't let travel writers fool you, over 70% of Hong Kong is tropical wilderness rather than the concrete jungles blasted on TV. Just made the payment, hopefully they will finish making my boat in a month with my requested sun shade canopy, tube covers and transom wheels.
Old 07 October 2013, 14:41   #2

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
I spent two years watersking in Hong Kong way back in 1985-6.

Remember it fondly and used to go off to the new territories for my weekends entertainment. As well as Repulse bay / Stanley / Big wave bay...........oooh, brings back memories.

That was when the airport was in the harbour and Lantau was an island you only got to by ferry.
Old 07 October 2013, 14:44   #3

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
I spent two years watersking in Hong Kong way back in 1985-6.

Remember it fondly and used to go off to the new territories for my weekends entertainment. As well as Repulse bay / Stanley / Big wave bay...........oooh, brings back memories.

That was when the airport was in the harbour and Lantau was an island you only got to by ferry.
Haha yes still lots of watersports in the NT and Repulse Bay/Stanley/Big Wave Bay on the island side; though it's gotten "more exclusive" over the years as space for moorage is limited and a lot of the small boat yards that made nice affordable boats have shut down.