Old 22 March 2022, 11:42   #21

Town: Polruan
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 20hp
Inside the Polruan pontoon is for tenders <4m with a sticker but visitors can get a daily/weekly pass from the harbour office in Fowey. The outside of the pontoon is for visiting boats until 6pm but limited to 2 hours with no overnight tieing up.

Polruan's pontoon isn't really up to anything more than inflatables and kayaks and car access is minimal.

The facilities at Penmarlam are much better as it's an organised facility - however the nearby campsite there changed hands last year and is now much more orientated to holiday lodges rather than touring vans.

Caffa Mill slip is free to launch but you should of course pay a harbour due first at the harbour office; there is a big pay car park there and another nearby.
Old 22 March 2022, 15:11   #22

Boat name: Maze Coot
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjb View Post
Inside the Polruan pontoon is for tenders &lt;4m with a sticker but visitors can get a daily/weekly pass from the harbour office in Fowey. The outside of the pontoon is for visiting boats until 6pm but limited to 2 hours with no overnight tieing up.

Polruan's pontoon isn't really up to anything more than inflatables and kayaks and car access is minimal.

The facilities at Penmarlam are much better as it's an organised facility - however the nearby campsite there changed hands last year and is now much more orientated to holiday lodges rather than touring vans.

Caffa Mill slip is free to launch but you should of course pay a harbour due first at the harbour office; there is a big pay car park there and another nearby.

Thanks for padding this all out some more. The pontoon limit for tenders is 3.5m if I recall. I havecc VX a Honwave T32 and the Harbour Commission advised me not to get a T38 as it would fall foul of their limits.
Old 23 March 2022, 08:16   #23

There has been some confusion at source on the tender limit over the past 2 seasons and some feedback was incorrectly given that the limit was 12ft, or 3.6m; this was incorrect and the actual limit is, and has been for some years, 4m.
Old 23 March 2022, 09:02   #24

Quote:
There has been some confusion at source on the tender limit over the past 2 seasons and some feedback was incorrectly given that the limit was 12ft, or 3.6m; this was incorrect and the actual limit is, and has been for some years, 4m.

I like the sound of this! Watch out in the Harbour Commission - I’m coming over!
Old 23 March 2022, 09:04   #25

Quote:

I had wondered about the fact that some were bigger than mine!
My brother has a frape mooring over the river by Whitehouse that’s a 4.2m or 14ft limit - maybe we can have that revised up too!?
Old 23 March 2022, 12:31   #26

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>brother has a frape mooring

One of those was the key to the luxury of having our SIB afloat for two weeks at Fowey... but boy did I curse getting it going after it had been unused for ages. The rope had attached weed, marine growth, embedded fish hooks and tangled line such that it was taking the skin off my hands pulling the buoy in. It cost me a pair of Fowey priced sailing gloves at Upper Deck in Fore St.

Then at a lowish tide trying to clean the full extent of the rope I pulled the buoy out too far and its shackle must have caught in the weight ring and it stuck fast. Thankfully a fellow forum member from a few doors up was able to jiggle the buoy from his SIB while I pulled the rope and we freed it.

Rest of the holiday it was fine though and great to be moored avoiding a daily setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	David buoy clean.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	140082   Click image for larger version

Name:	David ladder.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	140083  
Old 25 March 2022, 15:36   #27

Quote:
Inside the Polruan pontoon is for tenders &lt;4m with a sticker but visitors can get a daily/weekly pass from the harbour office in Fowey. The outside of the pontoon is for visiting boats until 6pm but limited to 2 hours with no overnight tieing up.

Hey MWJB … just spoke with the Harbour office on Albert Quay and they reiterated the 3.65 metres that they told me last year. Rules out a Honwave T38 unless I just try and blag it … which isn’t really my thing.
Old 25 March 2022, 15:54   #28

The Port User Group Minutes dated November 2020 record that the Harbour Master clarified the limit on tenders is 4m;

Chris Ogg (Fowey RNLI) said that Berrills Yard pontoon also requires dredging for access to the inside. Captain Thomas said that was another key area to address when Lantic Bay is back in action following work to replace hull plating and the excavator which are commencing imminently. Chris also commented that the use of Berrills Yard pontoon this year had been extremely difficult with congestion on the inside and resulting damage to boats. Captain Thomas agreed that demand exceeds capacity on these facilities and there is a similar problem at Albert Quay and Polruan pontoons. It may be solved by better policing of hire boats and boat size (which should be less than 4m for tenders) and encouraging coverings for props to prevent damage. There has been discussion about trying to increase capacity at Berrills Yard pontoon, but it is probably not viable and increasing space will only bring more users.

See here; https://foweyharbour.co.uk/wp-conten...tes-Nov-20.pdf

Of course it needs to be said that the tender tariff and limit is only applicable to those that have moorings anyway; without a bigger boat you can’t ask for the tender rate!
Old 25 March 2022, 16:01   #29

Quote:
The Port User Group Minutes dated November 2020 record that the Harbour Master clarified the limit on tenders is 4m;

Chris Ogg (Fowey RNLI) said that Berrills Yard pontoon also requires dredging for access to the inside. Captain Thomas said that was another key area to address when Lantic Bay is back in action following work to replace hull plating and the excavator which are commencing imminently. Chris also commented that the use of Berrills Yard pontoon this year had been extremely difficult with congestion on the inside and resulting damage to boats. Captain Thomas agreed that demand exceeds capacity on these facilities and there is a similar problem at Albert Quay and Polruan pontoons. It may be solved by better policing of hire boats and boat size (which should be less than 4m for tenders) and encouraging coverings for props to prevent damage. There has been discussion about trying to increase capacity at Berrills Yard pontoon, but it is probably not viable and increasing space will only bring more users.

See here; https://foweyharbour.co.uk/wp-conten...tes-Nov-20.pdf

Of course it needs to be said that the tender tariff and limit is only applicable to those that have moorings anyway; without a bigger boat you can’t ask for the tender rate!

Thanks - that’s pretty detailed. Do you think the last paragraph might be the nub. Visiting tenders from moorings might have a 4m limit whilst the limit for pontoon use without a mooring (that’s me) is 3.65m