Old 04 November 2017, 23:53   #1

Town: Annapolis, MD
Boat name: TBD
Make: BRIG
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 90 OB
Greetings from the Colonies

Hello-

Newbie here from Annapolis, MD, enjoying my first RIB: BRIG Navigator 520 with a Honda 90 OB. I started boating back in the 1960s, and have had multiple sailboats, power boats, rowboats, canoes and kayaks. After being off the water for the past 15 years, now that I'm retired it seemed like it was time to get back out on the water, and this cute little boat caught my eye. And I'm too old and lazy to work hard, so an easy to maintain, gas powered vessel was required.

It needed to be no longer than 5.2 meters (17' LOA over on this side of the pond) to tie up (for free) at the dinghy dock in Annapolis (great place for coffee, lunch and dinner), and the max allowable engine hp is 90. It also needed to be shallow draft, economical to run (I'm retired on a fixed income), nimble and quick. This BRIG is all of the above, and is actually much quicker than I expected. Easily planes at half throttle, and maxes out at 35 kts at 6k rpm. Lovely little boat.

The only negative is that it's starting to get cold, and I'll barely be able to get the first service done on the engine at 20 hours before I have to put it up for winter.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your insights, information and experiences!

This isn't a great picture, but it's the best I have for now:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0435.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	122562  
Old 05 November 2017, 09:08   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Mr. Ed,
Out of interest..........
what do you need to run around in a rib in the USA?
I have heard tales of your having to pay the US Coastguard a fee?
Isn't Annapolis a US naval base? Do any special rules apply there?

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 November 2017, 10:56   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Mr. Ed,
Out of interest..........
what do you need to run around in a rib in the USA?
I have heard tales of your having to pay the US Coastguard a fee?
Isn't Annapolis a US naval base? Do any special rules apply there?
Hi Brian-

Need? Not so much. This is just a toy, and I wanted something different from what I had owned previously, as well as something a bit unique. Over here everybody has cookie-cutter fiberglass boats, and the BRIG is a bit unusual. RIBs here are used more as tenders for larger boats, but most of our aquatic search and rescue, fire departments and law enforcement agencies also use them for duty boats.

No Coast Guard fees charged unless they rescue me from doing something stupid, but we do have state registration and titling fees.

Annapolis is home of the U.S. Naval Academy, where pretty much all officers receive their initial training and a college degree. Not so much of a naval base, although we do have a small fleet of Yard Patrol Boats (YPs) and sailboats that are used to train Midshipmen in the art of commanding a crew, piloting, docking, anchoring and seamanship. The YPs look a bit like small cruisers. No weapons, as far as I know, though. And we graduate some of the world's great racing sailors.
Old 05 November 2017, 13:27   #4
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Thank you for that.

Supposing I am transiting US waters in a rib. An "impossible" scenario such as I go from the UK to, say, Annapolis. I call in, collect some (much needed) fuel, stay overnight and then depart back to the UK?

Apart from having my bumps felt, what charges or fees would I incur? If any?
In the UK all you would have to pay is your overnight charge in the marina/port (about $1.50-$2.00 per metre of boat length), your overnight hotel/meal costs and your fuel.

Old 05 November 2017, 18:52   #5

Quote:
Thank you for that.

Supposing I am transiting US waters in a rib. An "impossible" scenario such as I go from the UK to, say, Annapolis. I call in, collect some (much needed) fuel, stay overnight and then depart back to the UK?

Apart from having my bumps felt, what charges or fees would I incur? If any?
In the UK all you would have to pay is your overnight charge in the marina/port (about $1.50-$2.00 per metre of boat length), your overnight hotel/meal costs and your fuel.
Well, I'd imagine you'd go through customs at some point, show your passport, etc. And as you suggest you'd most likely want to take advantage of the services of a marina, so you could shower, maybe fuel up, do some laundry and have something to eat. Rates are usually by the foot over here (we never evolved into the metric system). So yes, pretty much the same over here as there. Of course, you probably actually speak English, whereas we have bastardized the language a bit.
Old 05 November 2017, 18:56   #6
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Well it looks like it's exactly the same as over here-wonderful!

Thanks for that info. I have often wondered....

Old 06 November 2017, 03:02   #7

You're most welcome. When you decide to cross the pond in your RIB, I'd be pleased to offer you a slip and a beer!
Old 06 November 2017, 12:40   #8

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Well it looks like it's exactly the same as over here-wonderful!

Thanks for that info. I have often wondered....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intracoastal_Waterway
The Intracoastal Waterway and the Great Loop —

Here are the rates for one of the easy access marinas in Charleston
Charleston Harbor Marina Transient Rates

Some areas have Federal government (Army Corp of Engineers) maintained moorings. There is no charge to use those.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2018, 09:08   #9

Town: Whakatane
Boat name: Jojosrib
Make: Brig
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha f 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
Hello-

Newbie here from Annapolis, MD, enjoying my first RIB: BRIG Navigator 520 with a Honda 90 OB. I started boating back in the 1960s, and have had multiple sailboats, power boats, rowboats, canoes and kayaks. After being off the water for the past 15 years, now that I'm retired it seemed like it was time to get back out on the water, and this cute little boat caught my eye. And I'm too old and lazy to work hard, so an easy to maintain, gas powered vessel was required.

It needed to be no longer than 5.2 meters (17' LOA over on this side of the pond) to tie up (for free) at the dinghy dock in Annapolis (great place for coffee, lunch and dinner), and the max allowable engine hp is 90. It also needed to be shallow draft, economical to run (I'm retired on a fixed income), nimble and quick. This BRIG is all of the above, and is actually much quicker than I expected. Easily planes at half throttle, and maxes out at 35 kts at 6k rpm. Lovely little boat.

The only negative is that it's starting to get cold, and I'll barely be able to get the first service done on the engine at 20 hours before I have to put it up for winter.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your insights, information and experiences!

This isn't a great picture, but it's the best I have for now:
Glad you are enjoying your return Mr.Ed.......Just about to drop the cash on a 610 navigator running a 115 Yamaha......can t wait to play too.....

« first post | Top | Hello »