Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDiver View Post
Couldn't find a Suzi so went for the 20hp version of your 15 Merc, its the same engine/weight. And at least it is black so will match the boat!

How has your Merc 15 been? Are you happy with it and how old is it?
Very happy with it. Got it from Terry last July, only managed 35 hrs last year which I suppose isn't bad considering the circumstances.
I actually wanted a 20hp Merc or Suzi but nothing was available at that time,. However with the SD360 and my usual load it performs really well and I don't think I would have noticed much of a difference with the 20hp.
One major plus for me is the multi function tiller. Thought it would be of little benifit, but it's actually very good.
Biggest downside is the carry handle position, need arms like an ape to hold it.
Old 23 March 2021, 13:27   #22

Town: Walcott
Boat name: Lilly G
Make: Excell Volaire 390
Engine: Mercury 20 EFI
MMSI: 235925400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Very happy with it. Got it from Terry last July, only managed 35 hrs last year which I suppose isn't bad considering the circumstances.
I actually wanted a 20hp Merc or Suzi but nothing was available at that time,. However with the SD360 and my usual load it performs really well and I don't think I would have noticed much of a difference with the 20hp.
One major plus for me is the multi function tiller. Thought it would be of little benifit, but it's actually very good.
Biggest downside is the carry handle position, need arms like an ape to hold it.
That's great to hear, I have a 390 Volaire on order and will carry dive gear when not fishing. Tanks and dive gear for two is heavy and will probably always have a third person as topside cover, so the extra bit of hp will probably come in handy for me. Got a great deal from Barnet Marine, especially when I consider that they only had two, and it's already been put on a pallet out for next day delivery. Wish I had a boat to put it on!
Old 23 March 2021, 13:52   #23

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDiver View Post
That's great to hear, I have a 390 Volaire on order and will carry dive gear when not fishing. Tanks and dive gear for two is heavy and will probably always have a third person as topside cover, so the extra bit of hp will probably come in handy for me. Got a great deal from Barnet Marine, especially when I consider that they only had two, and it's already been put on a pallet out for next day delivery. Wish I had a boat to put it on!

My 20hp clips along quite nicely with 2 (140kg) up on the Volaire. Add another couple of bodies & it struggles onto the plane but once up, she stays up. You might have to play around with props if you’re going to go 3 up with dive gear.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2021, 13:54   #24

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
All sounds good SD. I wouldn't stick hard and fast to the AV height listed in the Mercury owners manual. Not sure about PD's experience with the outboard AV height on his Volaire. However, I eventually found that the best mounting height for my OB on the SD360 was sitting on the transom, it means the AV is about 50mm below the Hull. I think Jeff Stevens found the same on his Excel 435.
Old 23 March 2021, 14:06   #25

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
All sounds good SD. I wouldn't stick hard and fast to the AV height listed in the Mercury owners manual. Not sure about PD's experience with the outboard AV height on his Volaire. However, I eventually found that the best mounting height for my OB on the SD360 was sitting on the transom, it means the AV is about 50mm below the Hull. I think Jeff Stevens found the same on his Excel 435.

Yeah, I played around a bit, thought I’d nailed it by raising the engine until I found it ventilated badly when it got choppy. I’m back to where I started from & sticking to it. Basically sat down hard on the transom, I forget which hole the tilt pin is in.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2021, 16:41   #26

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Glad you swapped onto the Mercury... despite my interest in hearing how you got on with the Selva as I assumed you'd bought it already I thought the weight was a bit chunky.
Old 23 March 2021, 17:37   #27

Town: Walcott
Boat name: Lilly G
Make: Excell Volaire 390
Engine: Mercury 20 EFI
MMSI: 235925400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Glad you swapped onto the Mercury... despite my interest in hearing how you got on with the Selva as I assumed you'd bought it already I thought the weight was a bit chunky.
I had said "yes please" to Mr Selva UK but he is an old mate so wasn't bothered when I called back and said "too lardy"!

I must admit, (and I know that the Mercury fans will shoot me down), I have never been a fan of them, USA Electronics just not as good as Japanese, just my opinion, but the new Mercury 15/20 has the Tohatsu powerhead and EFI, which is fab, but the added bonus of the Mercury superb tiller, so very happy now. Just got to wait until the end of April for the bleeding boat!