Old 20 February 2020, 15:44   #1

Town: Northwich
Make: Elling
Length: 3m +
Engine: Orca 9.8 4 stroke
RIBase
Greeting and need some advice

Hi All
Greetings from Cheshire and need some advice as this is my fist boat of this kind, below is the boat that I have bought plus trailer

The boat is a Elling kb 350 Sip with launching wheels comes with a Orca 9.8hp Motor bought from Boatworld both was only used for 3 hours so you could say it is new still under garantee and the motor still has to be run in for 10hrs, also the very next day bought a 2014 Extreme Galvanised 350 bunked trailer that I see advertised and is in very good condition, I am retired so once it is all set up I can just hook it up and away I go.

Questions is
Being experience boater what do you think of this setup
and
Do I need to take a test and get a licence for this boat before I can use it

Do I need to buy a VHF Radio and take a test

if so where would I go for the test and how much would it cost

It will be used on a river and Estuary and inland waters

Thanks
Bob
Old 20 February 2020, 16:33   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi Bob Sibfisher and welcome to the forum.

That Elling 350 is of great interest so pleased to have another on the forum as there is very little user opinion out there yet... look forward to hearing how you find it. Coupled with a 9.8 it should go well one or two up.

I have to be honest you won't find a lot of love for the Orca on here as it is... I'm sure... a Chinese clone of a Mercury/Mariner design (powerhead at least if not the rest) with no nationwide dealer network in the UK so spares etc could be a future issue. But just use it and don't worry about that now you have it.

No test or licence for you as a person to use a boat on sea, lake/loch or river as such... but many rivers require a licence to use the boat on them... and some launch sites charge a fee... and a tiny amount ask for a RYA qualification (very rare though).

Insurance is required at some launch sites and a wise choice... Craftinsure online is cheap and easy... 5min on their website... pay... print your docs at home.

You don't need a VHF from the sound of your proposed use but I'd always advise one if going on the open sea. Yes you need a day's course (or online) and exam to use it legally... you can use an unlicensed one in an emergency.

The radio course is around £120 in person or £60 online plus a £60 exam fee to get the certificate.

The RYA powerboat basic course is around £120-£160 depending on where/when and how many folks on the course.

Where are you nearest locations to use the boat?

>>>my fist boat of this kind...

It sounds like you are experienced on the water but not with a SIB?

David
Old 20 February 2020, 18:30   #3

RIBase
Hi Fenlander
I should have said I am new to boating and this is my first boat being retired finally decided to buy a boat, looking at inflatables it seem the right direction to go in as the size that I have gone for seems to be a good choice for a first time boater.
One of the main reasons for buying it is that I will be taking to Spain where I live is north end of Portugal in Galicia near to the River Mino where I can use it on the river and the estuary mainly for fishing which for that size of boat you dont need a licence for the boat just a river licence, that is why I bought the trailer to get it back there and making it easy to transport it to different locations.

Thank you for the advice and help but with the weather being so bad I have not been able to inflate it to see what it is like yet.
I will be asking for more advice and help has I go on

I understand that the Orca outboard is not so popular and taking it to Spain could be a problem than other makes but hopefully it will be a good motor and sure they all work under the same principle if I need part will to have them sent, we will see how reliable it is fingers crossed.

It also came with Flairs, 2 Life Jackets, Anchore + rope, Ores so it was complete ready to go.

All in all I think I got a good package just got to rig it out with fish finder and the rest of the gear that I will need-
Any help on that one would be appreciated.

Bob
Old 20 February 2020, 21:18   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Fishfinder… for me keep to established brand units. Such as Garmin or Lowrance around £100.

https://www.cactusnav.com/garmin-str...r-p-18623.html

https://www.cactusnav.com/lowrance-h...r-p-22528.html

What other kit are you thinking about?
Old 21 February 2020, 11:00   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
sound advice from fenlander look after the engine as best you can servicing etc and dont worry any engine can let you down, i would consider a small auxiliary for piece of mind if it bothers you if funds allow. i would carry a radio even if you dont have a licence for emergency purposes plus a mobile phone.
there's a great little engine troubleshooting handbook from reeds around a tenner worth having with you just in case.
above all enjoy it
Old 21 February 2020, 15:26   #6

RIBase
Hi David

Been looking at both fish finder you have suggested they seem to be the same with GPS one is upright and the other vertical, before I make a decision what is the most recommended and used by the members and why.

I am based in Northwich, Cheshire if there are any member near me would be good to meet up.

Where are you nearest locations to use the boat?
Not sure can anyone recommend somewhere that I can try near me to launch my sib from.

Being a novice I think I will enquire about the RYA powerboat basic course and take it to give me confidence.

What other kit are you thinking about?
Having the boat, engine, trailer and other stuff I got with the boat and it being my fist boat and a novice I dont know what I will need so any recommendation would be great, one question, I want to fish from it what type and size of Rods and reels and Line plus tackle recommended

Thanks for the reassurance jeffstevens about the engine I am sure it will be fine and hopefully no problems with it, just because it is not a name brand dose not mean it is no less reliable and it is still new with only 3 hours use, as recommended by you I have found Reeds Outboard Motor Troubleshooting Handbook by Barry Pickthall so will buy this.
I will also look around for a VHS Radio and carry a mobile phone

Its a good site to be a member and appreciate all the advice given so far.
Bob
Old 21 February 2020, 15:42   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Probably the nicest & most sheltered area for you is the Menai or Dee estuary.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 18:56   #8

RIBase
Have a look at my thread fitting out from scratch excel 435 HD might be some bits in there to give ideas kit etc
Old 22 February 2020, 09:42   #9

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibfisher View Post
Hi Fenlander
I should have said I am new to boating and this is my first boat being retired finally decided to buy a boat, looking at inflatables it seem the right direction to go in as the size that I have gone for seems to be a good choice for a first time boater.
One of the main reasons for buying it is that I will be taking to Spain where I live is north end of Portugal in Galicia near to the River Mino where I can use it on the river and the estuary mainly for fishing which for that size of boat you dont need a licence for the boat just a river licence, that is why I bought the trailer to get it back there and making it easy to transport it to different locations.

Thank you for the advice and help but with the weather being so bad I have not been able to inflate it to see what it is like yet.
I will be asking for more advice and help has I go on

I understand that the Orca outboard is not so popular and taking it to Spain could be a problem than other makes but hopefully it will be a good motor and sure they all work under the same principle if I need part will to have them sent, we will see how reliable it is fingers crossed.

It also came with Flairs, 2 Life Jackets, Anchore + rope, Ores so it was complete ready to go.

All in all I think I got a good package just got to rig it out with fish finder and the rest of the gear that I will need-
Any help on that one would be appreciated.

Bob
I don't know anything about inland waterways in that part of the world, but I'd suggest you register the boat on the UK Small Ships Register (aka SSR) which gives you (for about £30) a proper registration document as well as a registration number you can apply to the boat; certainly using the boat abroad at sea you'll need this. Even if your planned inland waterway doesn't require it, it might make life easier, particularly if you had the misfortune of being pulled over on the road or something and they want some sort of documentation for the boat.
Old 22 February 2020, 10:56   #10

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I don't know anything about inland waterways in that part of the world, but I'd suggest you register the boat on the UK Small Ships Register (aka SSR) which gives you (for about £30) a proper registration document as well as a registration number you can apply to the boat; certainly using the boat abroad at sea you'll need this. Even if your planned inland waterway doesn't require it, it might make life easier, particularly if you had the misfortune of being pulled over on the road or something and they want some sort of documentation for the boat.

Good advice, I’d missed the whole foreign aspect. The OP will also need a Spanish translation of his insurance certificate & proof of VAT paid status. The original purchase invoice will do.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 22 February 2020, 13:06   #11

RIBase
Very good advice
Jeff I have started reading your thread fitting out from scratch excel 435 HD there is a lot to read but finding it interesting.

Tim, your right I have read up about it and it is important that I get the boat registered,
Have you got contact details where I can register it and can I do it on line.

Dave, The boat was bought as a complete package end of October from Boatworld and I have that original invoice from boatworld with the name of the person who purchased it with the VAT paid, I also have a my receipt when I bought it from them with there name and mine, I also have an official receipt for the trailer which I purchased from Stratford Boats & Outboards Ltd being used no Vat.
So I think the paperwork is correct just got to register the boat and get insurance

Any other advice would be appreciated
Bob
Old 22 February 2020, 13:12   #12

RIBase
Quote:
Very good advice
Jeff I have started reading your thread fitting out from scratch excel 435 HD there is a lot to read but finding it interesting.

Tim, your right I have read up about it and it is important that I get the boat registered,
Have you got contact details where I can register it and can I do it on line.

Dave, The boat was bought as a complete package end of October from Boatworld and I have that original invoice from boatworld with the name of the person who purchased it with the VAT paid, I also have a my receipt when I bought it from them with there name and mine, I also have an official receipt for the trailer which I purchased from Stratford Boats & Outboards Ltd being used no Vat.
So I think the paperwork is correct just got to register the boat and get insurance

Any other advice would be appreciated
Bob

Without stating the “bleeding obvious”, make sure your insurance covers you in Spain and/or Portugal if you decide to hop over the border.
Old 23 February 2020, 09:44   #13

RIBase
I have my Spanish Reg car here with a tow bar the insurance comp is Abbygate Spain that I have used in the past so that should cover the insurance issue
Does anyone know the on line registration contact for SSR I have searched the internet and every time it says press to register it comes up blank or go's back.
It is probly me if you can put me in right direction it would be a great help and I will get my sib registered.
Old 23 February 2020, 09:55   #14

RIBase
Quote:
I have my Spanish Reg car here with a tow bar the insurance comp is Abbygate Spain that I have used in the past so that should cover the insurance issue
Does anyone know the on line registration contact for SSR I have searched the internet and every time it says press to register it comes up blank or go's back.
It is probly me if you can put me in right direction it would be a great help and I will get my sib registered.

https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/ssr/ssr/

Just a thought, you can only put the boat on the SSR if you are a UK resident. You have to spend at least 185 days a year in the UK. It doesn’t matter where the boat is kept, it can stay in Spain, but YOU must be resident in the UK.
Old 23 February 2020, 10:41   #15

RIBase
https://www.boatstogo.com/faq.asp#30

Some good info here too
Old 23 February 2020, 10:49   #16

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
For some reason the SSR registration page doesn’t work on some browsers (Safari included I think) so if it doesn’t work try on another device.

As for needing to live in the UK. If you’ve got a British address to register it to I think you’ll be all right [emoji6]
Old 23 February 2020, 15:36   #17

RIBase
Thanks for the advice
I own my own house in Northwich so a property owner and I am registered here so there will be no problem has my place in Spain a holiday retriet.
The only problem is getting on the SSR Reg site to register tryed on my tablet and laptop have the same problem with both.
If there is any more advice please let me know.
Bob
Old 23 February 2020, 16:05   #18

RIBase
Quote:
Thanks for the advice

I own my own house in Northwich so a property owner and I am registered here so there will be no problem has my place in Spain a holiday retriet.

The only problem is getting on the SSR Reg site to register tryed on my tablet and laptop have the same problem with both.

If there is any more advice please let me know.

Bob

I can get on the site using iPhone & safari
Old 23 February 2020, 17:05   #19

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
https://www.boatstogo.com/faq.asp#30