Old 17 October 2021, 11:54   #1

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
Go Pro

Just thinking of spending some money and considering a go pro set up. I know a lot of members use them, what is considered the best set up?
Old 17 October 2021, 13:17   #2

Town: Romford Essex UK
Boat name: Sea Fury
Make: Bit of everything
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 90 & 6
MMSI: 232026082
RIBase
I have Gopro's and 360's. with mounts on the 'A frame' and the helm area and selfie sticks. This covers all aspects. Both have there different uses and give really great results. the 360 does what it says and give an all round view. I have waterproof housings for both, just to keep the muck away and protect the lenses.
The 360 is really versatile and editing is not a problem. Both can be used with an App.
Old 17 October 2021, 13:26   #3

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
The Gurnard's got a nice setup. He detailed it in a thread in the distant past.
Old 18 October 2021, 08:32   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
What are the Forums thoughts on non-GoPro brands?
I have several of both and they are CONSIDERABLY less expensive.
Notice I didn't use the word "cheaper" there.
I can't tell the difference........but then again.....

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 08:44   #5

Town: Romford Essex UK
Boat name: Sea Fury
Make: Bit of everything
Engine: Mariner 90 & 6
MMSI: 232026082
RIBase
I have 2 gopro 5's, with waterproof cases and 2 insta 360 x, again with splash proof cases. Plenty of batteries.

You may get some good second hand stuff as both constantly update.
Old 18 October 2021, 09:11   #6

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
I bought a 1080p wifi non gopro version in 2017, I paid £28 and it came in a case with all manner of adaptors and a waterproof to 30mtr camera case. Ive not used it a lot & not tried the submersed leakage test, but its still working and I think I already had my moneys worth
Old 18 October 2021, 11:37   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I have an isaw edge £70 with all the attachments 30m depth capability with the housing
Old 18 October 2021, 16:31   #8

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Just noticed this thread after posting the video in another place ..but here is my thoughts Sutty

Difficult to recommend anything as you don’t say what you want to do with it ?

Example ..if its for attaching to an A Frame .. to take video of the back of your head..then I agree that a £50 gopro clone will be just as good as the latest Gopro 10. So why waste money

If you want a little more freedom..and have a smart phone.. why not use it ? Ok it will be shaky footage ..so by a smart phone Gimbal for under £100 and get great results

If you want to be serious.. get a camcorder instead .. they give the best results and even cheap ones match the gopro.

For this video I just uploaded..I used a Samsung Galaxy 8 phone for tripod shots. A Gopro Hero 5 on a Karma Grip gimbal for the wide angle shots and finally a Sony FDRAX 53 camcorder on a DJI Ronin SC gimbal for the main clips.

More important for making videos is not the camera ..it is learning how to tie it all together ..and having a good imagination for what you want to do.
Old 18 October 2021, 19:15   #9

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Stunning views Donny perfect
Old 18 October 2021, 19:36   #10

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Explorer 4
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8 & 6
MMSI: 235913442
Just be careful if buying through forums such as FB Market Place. I’ve just been scammed in connection with a GoPro. Happy to share details of the ****** if you PM me.
Old 18 October 2021, 22:22   #11

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I thought I'd dip a toe in the GoPro world just before Covid... initially to test the concept with a used Hero3 for peanuts. Taken aback by how good the footage was but couldn't get my head round not having a rear screen to operate and view footage. So for very few more peanuts moved up to a Hero4 Silver with a rear screen. For my use it's brilliant. I like the old separate waterproof case system and so far haven't missed the lack of an image stabiliser because it seems that really only becomes crucial on a digicam with significant zoom.

Both with the original one and this Hero4 I purchased used outfits where folks had already spent money on all the bits of kit like cases and mounts etc which came with the deal.

For me the GoPro concept works far better than phone, digicam or camcorder because it's a rugged fit, switch on and forget system compared to a phone or non-waterproof camera. At the end of the trip it can be thrown in a kit bag with other misc and often damp gear with no fear of damage.

My footage is just for us to review stuff at home and show a few folks. This is totally the opp end of the scale to The Gurnard's very pro standard blog style videos which benefit from the camera selection he uses.
Old 18 October 2021, 23:11   #12

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
No complaints using an older Gopro 8. The image stabiliser is very good and image quality also very good to the point we use them for commercial film work.

A downside is the battery's will self discharge after a few days if left in the camera, which isn't an issue if you leave them out of the camera until the day you need to use the camera.

As a demo of how steady the camera is, this short clip was from a recent trip. I was holding the camera in one hand while pulling myself over rocks with the other hand in surgy water.

By the way if anyone can post some side by side comparisons of these 50quid GoPro copies, I would love to see them. What Ive seen there is no comparison in that price range.

Old 19 October 2021, 21:31   #13

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
No complaints using an older Gopro 8. The image stabiliser is very good and image quality also very good to the point we use them for commercial film work.

A downside is the battery's will self discharge after a few days if left in the camera, which isn't an issue if you leave them out of the camera until the day you need to use the camera.

As a demo of how steady the camera is, this short clip was from a recent trip. I was holding the camera in one hand while pulling myself over rocks with the other hand in surgy water.

By the way if anyone can post some side by side comparisons of these 50quid GoPro copies, I would love to see them. What Ive seen there is no comparison in that price range.

Should post a few more vids jonp
Old 21 October 2021, 15:06   #14

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
I'd like to dip my foot into the GoPro or similar world. Mostly for "action" shots of my boat at speed, either mounted up near the bow looking back or vice versa.

Is it a considered view that GoPro is by far the best?

Also, what's the earliest version GoPro it's worth going with? I would like 1080P, image stabilisation and waterproof. But as an entry into the GoPro world, I'm probably not up for the price of the new 10 or Max, at least yet (if it all works well, I'll have 2, one on the bow and one on the stern maybe)
Old 21 October 2021, 15:36   #15

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I'd like to dip my foot into the GoPro or similar world. Mostly for "action" shots of my boat at speed, either mounted up near the bow looking back or vice versa.

Is it a considered view that GoPro is by far the best?

Also, what's the earliest version GoPro it's worth going with? I would like 1080P, image stabilisation and waterproof. But as an entry into the GoPro world, I'm probably not up for the price of the new 10 or Max, at least yet (if it all works well, I'll have 2, one on the bow and one on the stern maybe)
I have a couple of early Hero3's + all the mounts & gubbins. I have mounts on the A Frame (or Sonar Bar as it's known in some parts) TBH once the novelty wears off, the footage is boring using fixed mounts. You need to adopt Gurnards approach & introduce some dynamics into the finished product. As Donny says, the skill is in the editing, not capturing the raw footage.
just my 2 penneth
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2021, 15:40   #16

Absolutely, I get that - but I would like to start somewhere. So basically you're saying a Hero3 is decent enough? Does it have any kind of stabilisation? That's one thing I think would be useful - my boat does "rock and roll".
Old 21 October 2021, 15:59   #17

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
I still use a Hero3 Black Series, which I've had from new, as my main action camera. Personally I'm very happy with the video quality off it, and never seen a reason to upgrade! It doesn't have any form of stabilisation, and no screen (unless you buy one as an extra), but I've never had any real issues getting decent footage with it on boats, cars, skis, etc - just point and go.
Old 21 October 2021, 16:26   #18

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
As I put in post #11...

If I wanted to try the concept... fancied the GoPro brand... and considering budget used... don't get hung up on image stabilisation given my experience on a bouncy SIB was it wasn't needed as long as the camera isn't mounted in a "joggly" position.

Re the 3 vs 4 at the early model end of things I'd still say get a 4 with a rear screen as it is much easier with the ability to review on camera and work the menu compared to doing it with a 3 on that 1/2" square front screen.

Whichever you bought if used on Ebay research the actual sold prices and don't over-pay... then if you want to either give up or upgrade the loss if any will be minimal.
Old 21 October 2021, 16:28   #19

I will trawl ebay and see what I can find.
Old 21 October 2021, 16:37   #20

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Here is a video I made a few years ago.. keep in mind I have a steady hand and used to holding cameras. It is taken with a Gopro 5 hand held. I only made the one boat video then bought a gimbal as shaky footage is not for me..however I know many that think it is ok . I also scrapped half the clips as they were unusable due to the shaking (YouTube have compressed the older videos to save storage space so it gets a bit blurry at times but you can clearly see the camera shake. )

So if you are happy with shaky video as in this video and its obvious many folks are . ... then you don’t need a gimbal. The Gopros from Hero 7 onwards have “electronic” stabilisation..in that they crop the footage so its more stable than this video ..but its still not gimbal quality.

The stills in the video were with a compact camera..the other problem with Gopro is boats ..even 50 meters away appear small .. as do hills..and waves ..its because they use a wide angle lens. Its why horizons are often bent too.