Old 11 May 2014, 11:40   #1

Town: Devoran
Boat name: UP79
Make: Ribeye A550
Length: 5m +
Engine: 100
General advice and knowledge required!

Hello all, firstly, what a great forum! Am currently looking for a rib to keep in Liverpool area and have a few questions! Suppose that is the idea of the forum!

So here goes. Am looking for a RIB or sports open boat ie. white shark or ranieri etc..what do you all suggest ( as if I need to ask on a Ribnet site!). General requirements as follows.....
probably kept in water at marina all times
Deal with minor adverse conditions/against tides etc so 1-2 metre of swell? (Liverpool conditions)
Generally used for cruising estuaries in north west and Cornwall as well as Solent (trips to IOW)
Inshore exploring/towing
Mega reliable and safe for nieces/nephews on board etc...
Budget of sub 10k (ideally)
Guessing I want 75hp?

I have seen two boats which look good posted by Arn.george and Indyri on this site? Both differing budgets. Before I leave you all alone....are there any local Liverpool rib clubs etc..or..anyone know whether there are good routes/days out if you have a boat around Liverpool?

Apologies for bombarding you all on my first post and thanks in advance,

Matt
Old 11 May 2014, 11:55   #2

Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Quote:
Originally Posted by up1979 View Post
Hello all, firstly, what a great forum! Am currently looking for a rib to keep in Liverpool area and have a few questions! Suppose that is the idea of the forum!

So here goes. Am looking for a RIB or sports open boat ie. white shark or ranieri etc..what do you all suggest ( as if I need to ask on a Ribnet site!). General requirements as follows.....
Deal with minor adverse conditions/against tides etc so 1-2 metre of swell? (Liverpool conditions)
Generally used for cruising estuaries in north west and Cornwall as well as Solent (trips to IOW)
Inshore exploring/towing
Guessing I want 75hp?

I have seen two boats which look good posted by Arn.george and Indyri on this site? Both differing budgets. Before I leave you all alone....are there any local Liverpool rib clubs etc..or..anyone know whether there are good routes/days out if you have a boat around Liverpool?

Matt
I boarded a ribeye playtime 650 for my RYA PB2 course and was quite impressed.

Nice looking, plenty of seating. And also went well with the yamaha 115hp.

I know they do smaller such as the 500 which would be within your budget.

Also look at other ribs such as ribtec (nice one on ebay with 115hp optimax for £7995), osprey etc.

Depends how many people you are looking to carry really. As you say you might get away with something smaller with circa 75hp outboard.
Old 11 May 2014, 12:25   #3

Thanks for that! I will take a look when back in front of computer...
Old 11 May 2014, 13:15   #4

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:

Inshore exploring/towing
Guessing I want 75hp?

Matt
Matt, welcome to Ribnet

Forget Liverpool. Honestly, the tidal restrictions are too severe and you'll end up immensely frustrated at not being able to get in, or out when you want.

Far better imho to save yourself a couple of grand a year in marina fees and trail down the A55 to north wales where the water's generally blue, not brown and you'll be dolphin spotting and accessing beautiful unspoilt sandy beaches and shoreside pubs instead of dodging oil tankers, windfarm support vessels and incurring the wrath of Mersey Radio!

If you really wanted to explore the Mersey/Dee estuaries get yourself registered to launch from New Brighton beach (£150 per annum I believe) or join Liverpool Sailing club and launch from their slip at Garstang although again, the tide will restrict your available windows when it's feasible/safe to do this.

Wahtever you decide, have fun and stay safe.
Old 11 May 2014, 13:18   #5

That's really helpful....funnily enough, I have just been to investigate Liverpool and I think you are right!!! What a dull and dirty place! Any suggestions for moorings/marinas that are good in north wales (no drive to keep boat on!)
Old 11 May 2014, 13:35   #6

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
That's really helpful....funnily enough, I have just been to investigate Liverpool and I think you are right!!! What a dull and dirty place! Any suggestions for moorings/marinas that are good in north wales (no drive to keep boat on!)
Forget marinas altogether and investigate somewhere local to the Menai Strait where you can store the boat ashore, then just trail it to a launch site.

Many of us on here use the services of the one and only Chris Seddon at Ty Calch near Caernarfon. Google Ty Calch and you'll see why.

Better still, spend an afternoon visiting the area, meet Chris and have a chat about boat storage in the area. He's full to the brim with a very healthy (for him) waiting list but he knows of many other places nearby and can point you in the right direction.
Old 11 May 2014, 14:32   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
There's a couple of farms near Chris that offer storage.

Scent from my iBone sow iguana any typos whore bed spillings
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2014, 14:35   #8

Thanks guys, will definitely make contact with Chris, area looks soooo much better than Liverpool ! Well worth the short drive (probably offset by time getting out of l'pool marina!)
Old 11 May 2014, 14:59   #9

there is also this Avon Searider 5.4 | eBay

he wants 7-8K so i presume the reserve is around 6.5-7k.

They are great sea handlers but do not have much seating or storage.

I wouldn't mind having a look for you as he is local- hopefully it wont meet the reserve so you could have a bit more time to think about it.

Also don't know whether you would be willing to drive that far or not, it's a long old slog!
Old 11 May 2014, 15:12   #10

Looks good!

Thanks for the offer going to view, but still have to convince my wife! Some great looking boats around..that's definitely a contender, will keep you updated of progress, a journey will be fine if I find the right one ( and get financial clearence from my wife!)
Old 11 May 2014, 15:15   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the offer going to view, but still have to convince my wife! Some great looking boats around..that's definitely a contender, will keep you updated of progress, a journey will be fine if I find the right one ( and get financial clearence from my wife!)
How many people are you looking to regularly carry?
Old 11 May 2014, 15:17   #12

Usually just 2 of us with addition of occasional family trips with nephews nieces etc.. So maybe up to 4/5..
Old 11 May 2014, 15:24   #13

Quote:
Usually just 2 of us with addition of occasional family trips with nephews nieces etc.. So maybe up to 4/5..
Well a searider 5.4m will comfortable carry 2 on the console, 3 at a squeeze.

If it is only the occasional trip whereby you have more than 2 or 3 then people would have to sit on the tubes- depends if that's going to be sufficient or not.
Old 11 May 2014, 16:39   #14

Town: Salcombe
Boat name: The Black Pig
Make: Ranieri
Engine: 60c hp tohatsu
MMSI: 235038018
Send a message via AIM to The Black Pig
Quote:

Inshore exploring/towing
Guessing I want 75hp?

Matt

Hi Matt,

As a ranieri owner I can offer my take I have the smallest ranieri 15' with a 60hp 2stroke

Plus points
Nice and light ( you can launch and recover single handed)
Plenty of power to pull up skiers, ringos and wake boards ect
Inexpensive running costs
Open boat, roomy with storage fore and aft (no tubes)

Downsides
Two stoke engine wants speed (grumbles begrudgingly at low speed)
Nose points skywards on acceleration if weight and planning not right
If seas are rough bigger boats are better ( as always)
Boat build quality could be better (self tappers used where I wouldn't put them)

Hope this helps

David
Old 11 May 2014, 16:48   #15

David, thanks for that, veering toward a rib, but had ha,f an eye on a 17' rancraft with Brighton boat sales for 9k with a 90hp o'board. Not much on the net so really handy feedback, thanks!
Old 11 May 2014, 18:22   #16

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Just another member who agrees about cruising at Liverpool - I only go if it's a last resort for a short trip - but haven't even now for years.

I remember a trip once with a new depth sounder fitted, and it constantly kept alarming with a shallow depth - thought the unit was faulty but turned out to be all the floaters

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote