Old 31 December 2015, 11:15   #1

Fuel stabiliser question.

Prob should have done this earlier in the year but just getting round to winterising the outboard. Have about 15 litres of pre-mix fuel (been in tank from July 15) and have bought some quicksilver fuel stabiliser. Can I use this in fuel that's already mixed with oil? Also would you recommend running through engine for 10 mins?
Old 31 December 2015, 13:14   #2

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
I'm no expert but after 6 months I'm not sure if the stabiliser is worth adding the shelf life of the fuel is around 3 months I think and stabiliser extends it to around 12, not sure how much the stabiliser cost but the pre mix is £20 to replace?

Some recommend running motor dry to not leave fuel/oil residue in th carbs or lines if you run this 6 month old fuel through your not helping really I don't think, if you ad stabiliser then run it ( need to mix the stabiliser in with fuel) might be some benefit, I would possible just scrap the fuel you have or use it sparingly with fresh next year I topped up my tank with super for winter in November and didn't ad stabiliser but hope to be back out in March (4 strokes are less fussy )
Old 31 December 2015, 13:16   #3

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Fuel stabiliser question.

For 15 litres I wouldn't bother.

Is it in a 20 litre tank? If it is just top the tank up with fresh fuel at the start of next season.

I'd also drain the carb of fuel.
Old 31 December 2015, 14:26   #4

Cheers guys. Have a 25 litre tank so will drain carb and top up with fresh fuel when next used.