Old 08 November 2020, 06:55   #1

Town: Abersoch
Boat name: Aquaholic
Make: FRib
Length: 3m +
Engine: 10hp
FRib

Hi all, having just purchased a FRib 330, folding trolley as I have soft sand to go over to my beach hut which has storage underneath, pretty well ready to go, when allowed back into Wales. I want to get a fish finder, but don’t want to be drilling the boat to fix a transducer, any suggestions, also want to have two rod holders to keep them out of the way when travelling, any experiences with rod mounts, transom or tube mounts? Any suggestions would be appreciated, regards Chris G
Old 08 November 2020, 10:32   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
Hi all, having just purchased a FRib 330, folding trolley as I have soft sand to go over to my beach hut which has storage underneath, pretty well ready to go, when allowed back into Wales. I want to get a fish finder, but don’t want to be drilling the boat to fix a transducer, any suggestions, also want to have two rod holders to keep them out of the way when travelling, any experiences with rod mounts, transom or tube mounts? Any suggestions would be appreciated, regards Chris G

I’ve fitted a couple of Rail-blaza star ports to my SIB transom. I use a couple of rod holders in them & so far so good. Re-mounting sounder/GPS etc, there are ways of doing this that are “non-invasive” & give good results without making holes in the boat. Have a look at my Excel Volaire thread for how I did it.

Excel Volaire 390 build thread
https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/excel-volaire-390-build-thread-82696.html
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2020, 10:49   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
I want to get a fish finder, but don’t want to be drilling the boat to fix a transducer, any suggestions,
A Frib is presumably single skin (i.e. the hull is one lump of fibreglass - not a deck sitting above the hull with a void in between)? In which case people seem to have good success by bedding transducers on sikaflex on the insider of the hull. Make sure you pick a flat spot which isn't going to have turbulence over it (I'm not sure how the folding joint works - but imagine in might induce turbulence).
Old 08 November 2020, 13:14   #4

fish finders

Hi thanks for the reply, will do a bit of research re transducers to see the best one so it wont foul the tubes when I fold up the boat.
anyone glued rail- blazer rod holders to the tubes?
thanks
Chris G
Old 09 November 2020, 17:32   #5

Make: AB
Engine: outboard, 40hp
A "shoot thru" transducer will work if your hull is a solid cored like Poly said.

When I fitted the transducer I put it in a plastic bag of water and put a brick on top to weight it down. I was able to move it around and find the optimal location while driving. Then glued it in with epoxy. I believe it came with the epoxy but this was about a dozen years ago. It was way easier than any other design and no drilling.
Old 09 November 2020, 18:09   #6

Fish finder

Thanks for the reply, thinking of a lowrence hook 7, leaning towards thru hull, providing it doesn’t foul anything when folding the tubes and hull up.
Have seen a strap that goes around the tubes as an alternative, but that just looks a faff, don’t really want to drill a new boat, or have anything too big on the boat floor, to crush my feet on, decisions, decisions!!!
I appreciate you taking the time to give me the benefit of your experience
Regards Chris G
Old 09 November 2020, 19:17   #7

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Never be afraid of drilling a boat new/used for a legit item. My Aerotec transom is like it's been shot up by an M16.
Old 10 November 2020, 09:03   #8

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
look at railblaza, rammount, fishfinder mounts . com, scotty mounts also transducer mounts for kayaks
Old 17 November 2020, 01:57   #9

Town: Fairfield, CT
Make: Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 outboard
First Avon

Hi Ribnet forum members,

This summer I purchased a 2006 Avon 19'5" inflatable SEA SP580D1. 150 Honda 4 stroke engine with only 220 hrs. Paid USD $11,500 for the boat. In good condition.
We use it on Lake Champlain in Vermont. Grew up on an island in the Great Lakes. This is just an incredible boat that handles very well in anything Lake Champlain can throw at it. Very well made, solid boat. I am so impressed. It has bench seating in stern and bow and 4 addition seats mid section. Replaced wood transom this summer. Handy that it's replaceable. I understand that Avon was sold to Zodiac in 1998.

Does anyone know how long hypalon inflatables generally last? It's dirty. Any cleaning or maintenance recco's for the hypalon.

If anyone has any insights on this boat I would be happy to hear it. This boat won me over for life. Heads and tails better than a Whaler. A real head turner in the lake.
Thank you!
David
Old 17 November 2020, 11:44   #10

Make: AB
Engine: outboard, 40hp
Hi Avonribcraft2006,
I would recommend starting a new thread for your questions. It will get better viewing and you don't want to hijack someone else's question.

Check defender.com, they have their warehouse in Niantic CT for any supplies. They recommended Liquid Rib cleaner. Works great. After cleaning, with whatever cleaner you use, make sure you put a coating of aerospace 303 to protect it. Good luck with your new toy.
Old 17 November 2020, 12:46   #11

Town: Fairfield, CT
Make: Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 outboard
Thanks for your reply.

Tags
rib