Old 13 December 2022, 06:50   #1

Town: Liverpool
Length: no boat
First Rib?

Hello All

New to the site and new to RIBs! Had a Shetland 535 for 18months that I picked up for a song, did a load of work on then blew up the engine on first outing :-)

On the advice of a friend (who has had many RIBs and has a few yachts etc) I’m now looking to buy a RIB rather than spend money on a replacement engine for the 535.

The logic is that a sensibly sized RIB will be easy to handle in and out of the water, allow easier access in and out of boat on the beach etc, plus are generally more buoyant etc.

So now the question becomes… what RIB?! :-) my budget is circa £10k looking for something between 5m and 6m in length with something around a 75hp engine. I’ve see the shiny and attractive Avon 560 Adventure on eBay of course, had my head turned by its looks (in fact my experienced friend thinks they are reasonable boats) but then read the reviews on here and other places!! As much as I like the look of this and think it would work as a starter boat, the twin jockey seats probably aren’t the best config. Two singles and a bench would work better - we will want to have 7 people on it max at some point… 3 of these children (no high speed stuff here obvs) so if anyway could share their sage advice or know if anything that may work I’d much appreciate it as I’m going mad looking :-)

Many thanks

Steve

Ps anyone want to buy a Shetland Suntrip without engine?… :-)
Old 13 December 2022, 07:13   #2

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Morning and welcome to the forum. Lots of good people on here to give you advice
Old 13 December 2022, 08:43   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie135 View Post
Hello All

New to the site and new to RIBs! Had a Shetland 535 for 18months that I picked up for a song, did a load of work on then blew up the engine on first outing :-)

On the advice of a friend (who has had many RIBs and has a few yachts etc) I’m now looking to buy a RIB rather than spend money on a replacement engine for the 535.

The logic is that a sensibly sized RIB will be easy to handle in and out of the water, allow easier access in and out of boat on the beach etc, plus are generally more buoyant etc.

So now the question becomes… what RIB?! :-) my budget is circa £10k looking for something between 5m and 6m in length with something around a 75hp engine. I’ve see the shiny and attractive Avon 560 Adventure on eBay of course, had my head turned by its looks (in fact my experienced friend thinks they are reasonable boats) but then read the reviews on here and other places!! As much as I like the look of this and think it would work as a starter boat, the twin jockey seats probably aren’t the best config. Two singles and a bench would work better - we will want to have 7 people on it max at some point… 3 of these children (no high speed stuff here obvs) so if anyway could share their sage advice or know if anything that may work I’d much appreciate it as I’m going mad looking :-)

Many thanks

Steve

Ps anyone want to buy a Shetland Suntrip without engine?… :-)
Welcome to Ribnet. There's a wealth of info on here, just waiting for the search function. I will say that there's a huge difference between a 5 & 6m RIB, more than the 1m difference implies. You ain't going to get 7 people on a 5m RIB, and a 6m with 7 pax will be a squeeze. A 75HP on anything with 7 people onboard will be woefully underpowered. Realistically, for 7 Pax, you need another 0.5m & an additional 100hp. I.e. 6.5m/150-175hp.
A 5m will just, at a push take 4 pax, I'd want a minimum of 115hp.
A 6m will take 6-7 depending on the seating, but it will be cosy, 140 hp minimum.
just my 2 penneth.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2022, 17:20   #4

That’s good info thank you!
Old 13 December 2022, 19:13   #5

Actually I’ve just agreed a price on this - https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/ribe...or-sale/712764

Needs some work for sure and I wonder if there’s been some hull damage… the bow looks slightly different in design to a standard Ribeye and I know the trailer has had new axles so was putting 2 and 2 together. Doesn’t necessarily put me off if it’s a repair done well of course!

I would value any opinion people have

Best regards
Steve
Old 13 December 2022, 22:22   #6

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Tubes look worn, but hard to tell from photo. The hull is so so, but again hard to tell from photos, I just see rust patches here and there from things like snaps placed around the hull.

"New external fuel tank 2022 and still has inboard 150l stainless steel fuel tank."
Does that mean the main tank is still functional? I sure hope so! Repair of main tank means cutting the floor open.

Seat are still functioning but will need to be replaced soon. Can you handle that kind of work? Otherwise it is expensive.

Can you do repairs to the boat as needed? I am sure there is a ton of work that needs to be done. Wiring etc may not be great shape, but that is something you would have to determine.
Old 14 December 2022, 05:14   #7

Good advice thank you! I’m comfortable with cosmetic issues. The inboard fuel tank I can take or leave - prefer externals anyway (just my preference) but will check that out. As an Engineer and reformed sparky wiring is not a problem for me, neither are the seats - I’m factoring in a re-upholster. Running repairs expected and not a major concern.

I’m going to have a bloody good look around it before I buy, to me the hull still looks different to all the other Ribeye’s I’ve seen so want to satisfy myself that it’s sound. It has been kept in the water by a previous owner apparently. The current owner keeps it dry but re did the antifoul rather than remove the ugly layers that were still there. I don’t know if this is standard practice or not but I know anitfoul can be used to hide things like hull damage.

As a package it seems cheap to me or at least a very fair price. So I’m wary. Especially as this is my first real boat (sorry Navigator! That’s my Shetland), or at least the first I spent real money on.
Old 14 December 2022, 09:24   #8

RIBase
Quote:
Good advice thank you! I’m comfortable with cosmetic issues. The inboard fuel tank I can take or leave - prefer externals anyway (just my preference) but will check that out. As an Engineer and reformed sparky wiring is not a problem for me, neither are the seats - I’m factoring in a re-upholster. Running repairs expected and not a major concern.

I’m going to have a bloody good look around it before I buy, to me the hull still looks different to all the other Ribeye’s I’ve seen so want to satisfy myself that it’s sound. It has been kept in the water by a previous owner apparently. The current owner keeps it dry but re did the antifoul rather than remove the ugly layers that were still there. I don’t know if this is standard practice or not but I know anitfoul can be used to hide things like hull damage.

As a package it seems cheap to me or at least a very fair price. So I’m wary. Especially as this is my first real boat (sorry Navigator! That’s my Shetland), or at least the first I spent real money on.

I’d missed the bit about the fuel tank. You’re going to need a fair amount of fuel to go any distance with that engine. I’d be checking how it’s stored on the deck. The natural place would be under the rear bench seat, but that leads to an arse heavy boat, not good.
The other thing, please, please do not let anyone ride on the seat in front of the console when under way. It’s not called a “suicide seat” for nowt.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 14 December 2022, 09:52   #9

Hehehe thank you! Unless it’s someone I don’t like? My assumption for that seat was It’s more for a bit of gentle gliding around at low revs?

Looking at the shape of the rear seat cushions it doesn’t look like any other Ribeye I’ve seen - certainly not from 2004, wondering if it’s older. I’ve now seen a few similar bow shapes however. I suspect the boat may be older than advertised
Old 14 December 2022, 10:17   #10

RIBase
Quote:
Hehehe thank you! Unless it’s someone I don’t like? My assumption for that seat was It’s more for a bit of gentle gliding around at low revs?

Looking at the shape of the rear seat cushions it doesn’t look like any other Ribeye I’ve seen - certainly not from 2004, wondering if it’s older. I’ve now seen a few similar bow shapes however. I suspect the boat may be older than advertised

I wouldn’t be in a rush to part with your money. You have a decent budget & as the recession starts to bite, better boats “may” come along. I’d watch the market for a few months tbh. Unless an absolute stunner suddenly appears. Tbh that Ribeye looks a bit of a dog.
Old 14 December 2022, 10:29   #11

Many thanks for the feedback. You clearly know what you are talking about! Could you educate me a little please? Obviously I’m new to this and trying to learn, to me the trailer seems ok, the engine not so bad, and other than needing an upholster, it seems to be what I’d expect for something pushing 20 years old…. It’s certainly a lot of boat for the money - I’ve not seen anything else approaching this price. So if “a bit of a dog” means it’s a bit tatty and I could tart it up, fair enough, if on the other hand there’s something that gives concern as to it being something other than what it claims to be or indeed something that looks like there may be an issue that would stop it working I’d like to understand more. I’m starting to realise that this is a minefield!! :-)

Thank you again
Old 14 December 2022, 18:05   #12

RIBase
Quote:
Many thanks for the feedback. You clearly know what you are talking about!
Hmm! Hang around long enough & you’ll change your mind[emoji849]

It’s just that it doesn’t look a “bargain”
Anti-foul is a minus point, I’d guess that the boat has spent a fair amount of its life either on a mooring or pontoon. This could account for the state of the squishy bits, tubes & upholstery.
If the inboard tank has failed, this could be due to rainwater/seawater ingress through the deck. The deck could be rotten. These are all “could be’s & maybe’s”. It maybe that the boat is sound, but I’d be surprised if there aren’t some hidden horrors. I’d be giving it a thorough once over before I handed over any cash. Check the transom & deck are solid. That’s before we start on the engine….
Old 14 December 2022, 18:48   #13

Hehehehe thanks for the sound advice!

Tags
rib