Old 07 April 2021, 08:36   #1

Length: 3m +
Electric assist

Hi folks,

New SIB adventurers here. We've just bought a Takacat 3.8 powered by what we term an electric assist engine in the form of an ePropulsion Navy 3.0 outboard

We call it electric assist as we have been powering a folding double kayak (Feathercraft Klondike) with muscle and sail (outriggers required for sailing) for the last 15 years and have never owned a powered craft before. Our intention is to 'sea canoe' the Takacat to get some exercise and use the motor to beach hop, swim and dive from and maybe a bit of occasional fishing while watching the sun set with a pie and a pint.

Whilst we are not newbs to the sea and its various forms of recreation, we are new to a powered craft so there are a few things to learn and this forum seems like a good start.

May the adventure continue......
Old 07 April 2021, 09:13   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Welcome iP.

Interesting idea and it will be something of a niche use on here... but we do have our own enterprising "any form of propulsion during lockdown" member The Gurnard on here.

Take a look at one of his threads.
https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/sibing...les-85050.html
Old 07 April 2021, 09:34   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Welcome, interesting choice of propulsion. Any particular reason you’ve gone down this route? Eco/early adopter/dealer[emoji848]?
A quick glance at the epropulsion website has the Navy3.0 as a 3kW/6hp engine. The last time I looked 3kW=4hp, so something is off.
Good luck with your adventures.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2021, 11:02   #4

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
1hp=0.745kw = 62amps@12v
Old 07 April 2021, 11:12   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Electric assist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
1hp=0.745kw = 62amps@12v

The batteries are 48V. Dunno how a very expensive battery will fare in a Takacat[emoji848]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2021, 11:16   #6

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
The batteries are 48V
1hp=0.745kw = 15.5amps@48v
Old 07 April 2021, 13:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Welcome iP.

Interesting idea and it will be something of a niche use on here... but we do have our own enterprising "any form of propulsion during lockdown" member The Gurnard on here.

Take a look at one of his threads.
https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/sibing...les-85050.html
And then I found the f-ribs and sibs forum, so maybe the niche could be more over there, nice thread though, very relaxing
Old 07 April 2021, 13:37   #8

Quote:
Welcome, interesting choice of propulsion. Any particular reason you’ve gone down this route? Eco/early adopter/dealer[emoji848]?
A quick glance at the epropulsion website has the Navy3.0 as a 3kW/6hp engine. The last time I looked 3kW=4hp, so something is off.
Good luck with your adventures.
Well, she who controls the propulsion has been on at me to provide an electric assist for the kayak, I was scratching my head at that one, there are plenty of options but also the kayak needs a few repairs before it is seaworthy again (it's a folder and currently in a few pieces). She has also been nagging for a swim, snorkeling and diving platform which a folding kayak is not suitable for, plus we are into our middle ages and various bits of our bodies have been slowly packing up, so it was time for a change.....

and then we are used to the peace and tranquility of silent propulsion, we are also wildlife watchers and a dirty noisy stinky petrol motor wan't going to cut it on the rivers and inland waters!

I can always get myself a 20HP motor and go gocat racing if needs be

Not really eco warriors, but looking at the way the world is moving following electric bikes and cars, boats and PWC's etc are going to be next on the hit list, give it another 10 years and motor/battery tech will be at 20HP levels no doubt and be viable for those with deep pockets to spend on their toys
Old 07 April 2021, 13:47   #9

Quote:
The batteries are 48V. Dunno how a very expensive battery will fare in a Takacat[emoji848]
A couple of trips so far and max speed appears to be around 6-7knts pushing 300KG. The battery is on a long length of cable from the motor and clipped to the inside rings on both sides of the boat a third of the way up the boat (as is most of our gear and an inflatable seat). It's not moved so far whilst negotiating 1-2ft confused chop and a bit of bounce. The battery is waterproof and seems pretty robust, I've already spilt beer and tea all over it

I'll try and get a decent photo of it next time we are out, if we flip then the idea is that the battery will just hang suspended from the clips upside down (it weighs 30KG) until we can right it, hopefully the motor will stay attached to the transom in such a situation so I hope the only thing I will lose will be my sunnies
Old 07 April 2021, 15:08   #10

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Interesting idea as I said above but if I've looked it up correctly about £3000 for motor and battery... you could get a nice light new 2-stroke motor to perfectly suit that cat SIB and have change for even more toys.